Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teddychicago

Blue Star v. American?

teddychicago
15 years ago

Hi, I have been reading the last 4-5 pages of recent posts and am learning a lot about both types of ranges. I am intrigued!

Can anyone point out significant differences between these two brands? Or, in terms of car class, if a Wolf were the Mercedes Benz of gas ranges, where would the Blue Star fall in? The American?

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

Well, let's just say it's not a Maserati Gran Turismo.

(JUST KIDDING; I've just been getting altitude sickness reading the La Cornue thread :))

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

OH, okaaaaay, I'll do a serious answer, because this is precisely the choice we just made.

We chose an American (put a deposit on it--will pay balance when delivered), although there are plenty of interesting aspects of the BlueStar, most notably to me the star configuration burner. I wasn't able to afford the RNB, though, which would have been a much tougher choice, so it was competing against the RCS. We chose the American because the service record, while brief, seems to be pretty impressively responsive (and limited!), and the oven is convection (not that big a deal, but it's something--and the RNB *has* convection, so there goes that if you're considering that model), and the front doesn't get really hot when baking/broiling. I could also get a great price on the American (ACityDiscount, but give Josh Dvorson a chance on it too--we're going with Dvorsons partly because of the recommendations from this board) Other than that, everything was comparable. There might be something else I'm missing--other folks can add.

To me, the other compelling possibility was a DCS, with the center wok burner. But we decided against that because F/P owns them now, and we got a dedicated HUGE wok burner for outdoors that blows away anything we could get on any range, bar none (except maybe hugely expensive models I didn't research--does anything have a 70K btu burner?).

What are your priorities? Mostly that's what it comes down to. What matters to you?

• johnnytugs1
    15 years ago

teddychicago if you ck with people on here, at least the owners anyway. they will tell you it's a pretty amazing machine kinda like the cadillac of ranges.
    1. you get a very reliable machine.
    2. great service
    3. it's got class & looks great too.
    i found that my broiler wasn't working, i called JR in the service dept. explained my problem. this was 3 pm pacific. i had the part at my door by 6am pacific 9am eastern. i choose to do my own repairs. they are truly amazing!
    best of luck,
    john
    917-842-1809
    48" 6-burner w/ griddle

• User
    15 years ago

The American has better lighting inside the oven and a bit bigger-easier to see through window. Also, I don't think it gets quite as hot on the door or below the door as the Bluestar. Also nice little indicator lights to let you know which burner is on.

The Bluestar RNB, is more expensive, oven and broiler work about the same (great oven, great Infra Red Broiler) but has better burners on top. The Bluestar only has a light to let you know if the oven is on or if the fan is on. No little light for each burner.

On the other hand, the Bluestar also will broil with the door ajar,(The American has a button that shuts off the broiler when you open the door-but some people have used a magnet to hold the button down and keep the broiler going).

The Bluestar also has one nice ball bearing oven rack.The American doesn't have a ball bearing sliding rack, but it does have more rack positions in the oven.
    Finally, the Bluestar is an open burner system and the entire top is porcelain coated cast iron (and removable), with a sliding stainless drip tray underneath. The American uses round sealed burner caps on a stainless top with Cast Iron burner grates. Both brands use burners of different sizes- this is esp. important with the sealed burner as the smaller burner cap keeps the flames from going up the sides of smaller pans. Not a problem on the Bluestar open burners which are set much lower and the flame comes straight up. Still they have a small 'simmer' burner as well.

There is a less expensive version of the Bluestar, the RCS, and it has fewer features, usually missing the convection fan and an 18K burner instead of 22K, BUT, some of the RCS, do have convection- it's kinda like their 'production model' and if a seller or distributor orders enough of them, they can get them set up different ways. Usually only as a 30 inch. Most people have the RNB-(the fancy one).

If you like the Bluestar star burners, which is really the biggest difference, then you'll have to get a Bluestar. If you like 'sealed' burners on a stainless top, then you'll be happy with the American.

• plumorchard
    15 years ago

alexr- you are always so great!

flyleft - giggles! too funny (above post)

teddychicago - we replaced a Wolf (many problems) with the American. I actually considered the Blue Star before the Wolf and again, when we replaced the Wolf range. As our range was going in to an existing location with no renovations, new gas lines, etc, I was a bit worried that the Blue Star would be too much for our house! (Evil curses for sure!) We found out about the American and did our research on that one. We have had ours for about 8 months and have been very pleased. alexr did a great job of describing the high points!

If you get the chance, try to see them both in person. Good luck!

• berryberry
    15 years ago

Teddychicago - Well I don't think you can go wrong picking either of those two. personally I would buy either of them before a Wolf. I think alexr summed it up well for you. We ended up going with Bluestar because we liked the open burner design / output / etc the best. But either Bluestar or American will serve you well.

• sayde
    15 years ago

I got intrigued by American from reading the posts here. I've been looking for a rangetop -- and American is going to be selling theirs soon -- 36" in various configurations. I just talked to the people at American and they aren't in production yet. The burners on the rangetop are supposed to be just like the ones on the range -- single ring, simmer down to 120. The preliminary pricing seems unbelievable compared to e.g. Capital, Dacor. And it has a stainless top. Dvorson's doesn't yet have information but they will be carrying them.

• teddychicago
    Original Author
    15 years ago

alexr, thank you SO MUCH for that detailed information. It's just what I needed, a concise description of the differences.

everyone, I appreciate all your input and reasons why you chose what you chose. It helps me figure out my priorities and what I "need" v. what I "want!" I love this board!

• johnnytugs1
    15 years ago

alexr you do have a way with words! very well put.

• guadalupe
    15 years ago

If Wolf is the Mercedes Benz then we are in trouble.

• johnnytugs1
    15 years ago

this is very true, but thats just my opinion!