Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinkersouthernbelle

Help pick New Home Appliances mix or match?

Hi,

My builder offers a package of GE appliances with my home specs....I want to upgrade on most of them. Is it ok to mix brands you think? The way my kitchen is configured the wall ovens & fridge are most visable. The MW is also visable but the DW is in the island area, not so visable. Everything will be stainless.

Here are what I've narrowed down as choices:

Double Oven:

GE JTP75SM upper oven convection

OR

Frigidaire FEB30t7FC, both ovens convection

Microwave: Do I need to match with the ovens?

The GE is "spec" so no extra charges JEB1860SM 1.8 cu ft. Also has "trim kit"

OR

Frigidaire PLMBZ209GC, costs a little more

Cooktop: Gas, both 5 burners

GE Profile JGP975SEKss, an upgrade from the spec model

OR

DCS/Fisher Paykel CTD-365

We also need to purchase a fridge. I've been looking at counter depth b/c we are exploring adding cabinet panels to the fridge. I've seen the ones that have the internal water dispenser which seems nice. We have a seperate ice maker nearby so it doesn't need to dispense ice. Can't decide on brand, sidexside, or french door style. Would like space and economical. But we will have 2nd fridge in garage. Any suggestions. I think I'm weary making decisions with building and can't seem to make "easy" decisions now!

Help!

Comments (6)

• sher_nc
    15 years ago

I always thought that everything needed to match, but after viewing pics on this site & nice remodels I've seen in person I definitely think it's ok to mix it up. Most manuf. have similar designs anyway.

I think it only needs to match if it's on the same wall.

I also need a frig. I'm leaning towards the GE Profile w/bottom freezer.

• jab913
    15 years ago

My appliances do not match but are all styled similarly. No one has ever noticed. So far anyone who has seen them has been quite impressed. Performance was more of an issue. Of course there had to be some compromises due to budget and other layout/design considerations.

With all that said obviously I am of the opinion that they do not all need to be of same brand or matching perfectly. Just so you know I am also considered a very obsessive compulsive person so one would assume matching would be important.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

My Wolf rangetop is on the same wall with the Electrolux hood vent, my Panasonic microwave, and Electrolux all fridge and freezer set...all adjacent to the wall with the Fisher and Paykel oven and another Electrolux all-fridge. Get the appliances that will fill your needs the best. :-)

• palomalou
    15 years ago

Probably depends on your mix of form vs, function. The more you plan to use the kitchen to cook in, the more they should not match, but suit your needs, as Rhome says. If it is largely for looks, your needs might be that they do match. I've got a Wolf range, Monogram dishwasher (what a mistake!), Electrolux Icon fridge that has been problem-free, and a Frigidaire wall oven, and Broan RAngemaster hood, so not a thing "matches."

• friedajune
    15 years ago

I myself don't like the "matchy-matchy" look. It says to me that there was more concern for the matching than for the functionality of the appliances. I think there are several reasons to buy non-matching brands in appliances:

- The appliance manufacturers all have their strengths and weaknesses, i.e. some make good ovens, but not good dishwashers, and the like. For example, people here rave about the Thermador column fridges - compared to other similar fridges they're winners! Yet the Thermador wallovens are very expensive and have been reported to be problematic. I think there is no consistent brand.

- people overly worry about matching the handles. Trust me, no one will notice, including you, whether the handles match or not.

- Some brands have more bang for the buck than others. You can see by shopping around, and definitely by checking this forum which brands offer more on an appliance than others; and it varies by appliance, it's not across the board.

- Some brands of appliances are just re-badges of more reasonably-priced brands with an upcharge just for the name, but otherwise the same machine. So people who want, e.g., all matching Dacor, will then buy a Dacor microwave for, like, $500, when it's actually just a re-badged Sharp that cost $250.

- Builders push the matchy-matchy look. That's because they buy hundreds of appliances in bulk from one manufacturer, so it pays for them to extoll the all-one-brand look.

As to your other questions...panelling a fridge. It can be expensive, both for the panels and also there's an upcharge for a "panel-ready" fridge. If you love the look, then it will be worth it for you. That's a personal taste thing. Also, the panels may be easier to keep looking clean than stainless steel doors. Re SxS vs. french door, I would advise you to look through this forum as that decision has been discussed a lot. I find my SxS fridge to have lots of cu. ft. (25), yet I think it's too narrow. If I had to do it again, I'd get a single-door, bottom-freezer fridge, or a 42" or 48" fridge. The french-door fridge is good if you do not have a lot of aisle clearance, but the counter-depth size FD do not have a lot of capacity. Since you will have a 2nd fridge, that won't be an issue.

You should go to a good appliance store, and see the various choices in person. Also read this forum thoroughly. Yes, it'll be hours of your time, but the payoff will be worth it in the long run.

• eandhl
    15 years ago

I have always selected appliances by what is rated good with minimal problems. I presently have a F&P frig, Bosch DW, DCS range, Kobe hood and Sharpe micro/conv. My last house I had a Bosch DW, Thermador cook'n vent range, Maytag badged Amana frig, Sharpe micro/conv. All were/are SS and blended fine.