Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolml_gw

gaggenau combi steam oven - how great is it?

carolml
13 years ago

Hello,

I have been perusing this website pretty avidly, looking for info on appliances for our new kitchen. The Gaggenau combi steam oven has come up a number of times and everyone seems to love them. They are ridiculously expensive but, this is my "forever" kitchen and if I will use it a lot, I can justify the expense.

So, I need more info - in my small town no one knows anything about these machines.

1. Does anyone not love them?

2. How steep is the learning curve for using them effectively?

3. I would have this as my second oven and use convection only on occasion. Is this oven too small for that?

4. How quickly do they heat to temperature?

5. It is impossible to find any accurate pricing online and the local appliance store just gives me the list price - over $7,000.(!!!)(I am in Canada). There is, apparently, a store demo model, two years old, on sale for $5,000. Is this worth it? How much do these machines cost elsewhere (or is this top secret information?)

Any help/comments you can give are very welcome.

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• carolml
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks plllog. I did not know that the 24" was the same as the 30" - I was hoping for more room. Since we are still a few months away from building the kitchen, maybe I will get a chance to see the new ones. Any idea which makes? Hopefully, some of them will be plumbed in - I agree that makes the most sense.
    C

• attofarad
    13 years ago

My local dealer has the old version, ED221-630, on clearance for about $2k.

Anyone know what significant differences there are between this version and the latest?

Thanks,
    Gary

• plllog
    13 years ago

Gary, I don't think there are any significant differences. There are quite a handful of insignificant ones. Do make sure whether this is a plumbed or a tank model, and if that matches the installation you, or the person you're recommending it to, want.

Carol, there was no comparison a couple of years ago when I was shopping so I don't know for sure, but Miele is supposed to have a combi-steam in Europe that people have been anticipating be released here. Wolf has some kind of steam oven, I don't know if it's a combi-, that's new. KitchenAid has had their steam assist oven for quite some time. People here who've had it have loved it. It's a regular oven which you can add steam to. It's just steam on or off, though, no adjustment, so it's similar to putting a pan of water in the oven, which is the old fashioned way to do it. I don't know if it does steam only. The old Miele is steam only, no oven. Sharp, I think it is, has a countertop one, which I think I remember as being a microwave with steam. Probably a browning element too. Do a web search and you should be able to find all sorts of models.

• Katy
    13 years ago

I have the Ed220 or 221. Bought it about 6 or 7 years ago for $4000. Internal measurements are about 13" wide and 18" deep. It was the only size available at the time we were remodeling. It may sound small, but I have cooked a 12 lb. turkey in mine. If I had to choose between the steam oven and conventional oven, I would take the steam oven every time.

The oven came with a wheel that tells you everything you need to know to cook a particular food. One side of the wheel is for cooking and the other is for baking. I cook hard boiled eggs directly on the rack, no pot of boiling water. At Easter time I have done 2 or 3 dozen eggs at a time. You can also use the oven to process jars (if you do any canning). The wheel helps and is easy to use. I am a basic cook, nothing really fancy. The cookbook that came with the oven has some lovely gourmet type recipes but I haven't tried any. The cookbook also has a fold out flap that shows the settings for cooking foods too.

We steam lots of things. When we have burritos, I put the tortillas on a plate and steam them. They are nice and soft, moist. We steam salmon fillets (4 lbs. at a time), steam lots of veggies.

I have baked muffins in a 6 cup muffin pan. The 12 cup pan would work.

The space might seem small, but it is surprising how much you can get into it. Clean up is easy. Love that it is plumbed so water in and out aren't an issue.

The Thermador wall oven I got at the same time (as my steam oven) is broken. It hasn't gotten nearly the use that the Gagneau got. GE makes what they call a single-double oven. It has the same footprint as a single oven. Consumers rated it excellent for capacity (better than any other single oven). You may want to check out the picture of the GE oven's interior.

Bottom line, I would buy the Gagneau oven again in a heart beat.

Here is a link that might be useful: GE single-double oven

• carolml
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi again,
    Since this thread has resurfaced, I'll ask a few more questions.
    1. Since it seems the steam oven would be used a lot at supper time for vegies, rice, or the main dish, I think it should be next to my cooktop rather than a walk across the room to the ovens. The cooktop will be on the island. So, how would it work to install this just below the counter? I've seen microwaves drawers in this position. Would it be awkward?
    2. If I have a main oven for big things - turkey, trays of cookies, pizza, etc. and the steam oven for smaller things, side dishes,reheating food and defrosting, do I need a third oven? Although I don't actually cook in it, my microwave has always been there for melting butter, nuking a cup of tea, warming things, etc. Can I live without this or should I get a speed oven to go along with the others My kitchen is big enough but I don't have many walls. The big oven will be a few steps further away than I am used to. This seems ok since I'm not using it all the time. Do I stack a third oven with it and hike over to nuke my tea? Or do I put it under the counter on the island with the steam oven? Three ovens in three different places - will this look awful? Definitely function before form.
    3. Is there really no difference between the 24" and the 30" gaggenau combi steam?
    4. Thanks ktmast for the GE oven link. It looks nice but I'm afraid wouldn't solve the m/w problem.

Thanks everyone for all your input.

• gizmonike
    13 years ago

We have an almost 4 year old Gagg combi-steam stacked over the Gagg convection oven, both 27". We have a 4' stainless steel countertop between the stack & our closest cooktop. The combi is the star oven in our kitchen.

We also have a GE Monogram Advantage, located next to the refrigerator. Its microwave function is used much more than the speed cooking function, but we're happy to have both. Initially we were concerned that we might need a second microwave, but the steam oven takes care of most veggies. Having ovens in different locations is fine as long as it is functional.

As for installing a Gagg combi under a counter, if it is the plumbed unit, you must be able to drain straight down through the floor to wastewater pipes. Gagg specifies an install height 36" and above since the drain is a gravity feed and most will plumb to sink plumbing. Also be aware that the controls are on the bottom of the unit & may be more difficult to read if under the counter. I'd put a microwave undercounter before putting the Gagg combi there.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Hi!

In my experience, it's more important to have it near the prep area than the cooktop, but if you're making things on the stove, I can see how it would be inconvenient if you have a barrier island between you and the steam oven. Have you been to the Kitchens Forum and shared your layout? The folks there might be able to help you find an arrangement that works better. I'd be more concerned about the ease of browning something on the stove and then putting it in the oven, than feeding the steam oven. It's really better if it's only a few steps to the ovens with nothing between. It can't always be done, but it's better.

1. I don't think you can install it below counter, and if you can you'll probably need a straight down drain (like into a basement). Also, because of the steam, I'm not sure that's a good height for it. I wouldn't want to bend to look in and open the door and all.

2. I needed a third oven for entertaining. I did get a speed oven. If you're entertaining by the score, and don't want or need the third oven and don't want to give it the wall space, and if you have storage space, and if you find yourself with inadequate oven space, you can get a roaster oven or a catering oven and just bring it out for when you need the extra capacity. On top of the dryer is often a good place for a spare oven, for instance, because who's doing laundry while entertaining mobs? Different ovens in different places for different functions should be fine. This frees you to put them at optimum height, and to have them not match with impunity. That's harder when they're stacked. The microwave is the most important one to have at point of use.

3. Yes. There is really no difference. Because the units are designed to be able to stack with the regular oven, to the point where the controls line up and make a visual statement, they make the 30" steam oven to go with the 30" oven and look good. Inside, it's the same thing as the 24". If they weren't so heavily designed to stack, I would have put them side by side and gotten the 24" combi-. It would look really silly though, with the controls on top of one and on bottom of the other.

• carolml
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks plllog and gizmonike,
    The plumbing issue definitely answers my question. So I have a choice of another space in the kitchen or raising a section of the island by 18" to accommodate.
    I will go back to the plan and post it as suggested. Maybe I'm missing something obvious.
    Carol

• carolml
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Plllog - I've posted my plan on the Kitchens Forum. I'd love to get your opinion. It's under Carol's kitchen floor plan take 2. The general layout of the plan fits well but the placement of appliances, etc. is definitely not fixed.

• chrisdawnclark_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Over the last two years while we were building our new home, I really appreciated all the thoughtful info from gardenweb contributors.
    After a lot of research and angst over cost, I purchased an "open box" Gaggenau steam oven which had been returned because it was the wrong door swing. I saved a couple of thousand dollars off the regular price, but still got the full warranty. I chose a 30" Miele as my main oven, with the Gaggenau steam oven as the "second" oven and so far (2 months) I love them both. Because we have a kitchen visible from the dining+living rooms, we installed both ovens under the counter- Miele oven under Wolf induction cooktop, and the Gaggenau adjacent to cooktop so the steam can vent up into the Zephyr hood over the cooktop when I open the door. No problem for me to have it under the counter, but then I am 5'2". The Gaggenau steam oven is not exactly intuitive to use, and I have spent a lot of time reading the manual, but after two months of use I am starting to get it. Artichokes, corn on the cob, any kind of steamed vegetables turn out perfectly (once you get the feel for size and quantity- giant artichokes took over 1.5 hours). Works great as a second "standard" oven- actually has more capacity than you'd think given its small size. I look forward to exploring more of the advanced features. Bread dough proofs nicely, then bakes great. So far, no regrets!