Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xoxosmom_gw

Kitchen Aid or GE Profile appliance opinions needed

16 years ago

We are building a new house and I need to pick out appliances. I am very confused. The two options in our price range I have narrowed it down to is Kitchen Aid and GE Profile in stainless steel. I enjoy cooking and hope to improve so I would like a range that can grow with me. I am leaing towards dual fuel. But most importantly I want reliable appliances. I have read some complaints about GE especially their Fridges but haven't seen any opinions on Kichen Aid. Any opinions are much appreciated. Thank you.

I am looking for all the major kijtchen appliances and dh prefers that it all be from one manufacturer for a streamlined look.

Comments (26)

• 16 years ago

Well my husband and I just got the Stainless Steel French Door fridge from GE with water & ice in the door, (model# PFSSPKWSS), and we're quite pleased so far. Only had it a week but she performed well yesterday (Thanksgiving). We originally selected the LG, but exchanged it after some ice making issues and two botched delivery attempts. Glad we did so far. Depending on which GE model you select, some are made by Samsung, which has gotten really good reviews. We've learned that the model we chose has dual evaporators and fans, which means the fresh food section doesn't share air with the freezer. Had no idea how important that was until it was explained to us how refrigerators work. All of the LG's use the same air in the two sections. I've been told that you would have to step up to a higher price point to get this feature. Barring reliability and customer service issues, I'd definitely recommend the GE profile model we landed on. Don't know much about KA,... we've never owned any of their products. But keep researching and reading boards like this one,... so much info,... so much help! But whatever you do,... buy a warranty for stuff like this. I've read that a lot in here! Good luck!

• 16 years ago

Personally, I wouldn't recommend going with a single brand. Unless, you're planning to go with GE Monogram which it doesn't sound like you are, I'd recommend GE for the range and KA for the fridge and DW. GE Profile ranges have been known to have problems particularly with leaks, and there have been complaints on this board about KA ovens. I have a KA fridge and DW and have been very pleased with both.

• 16 years ago

In my previous post I meant to say that GE Profile FRIDGES have been known to have problems particularly with leaks.

• 16 years ago

My neighbor has had two KA electric ranges and had problems with the electric top on both. (different issues.) No problems with the ovens. But I guess almost any brand has a few lemons. If you do a search using the search feature at the bottom of the appliance forum page you'll find tons of past posts. People here usually recommend that you mix brands to get the best appliances. There are threads about mixing brands and how they look together, too.

I'm also looking to buy almost all new appliances, and I'm considering some Kenmore appliances, like the cooktop and DW. People have varying opinions about buying from Sears, but I haven't heard anything but good about Kenmore appliances themselves, and you do get more features for the money on them.

Good luck

• 16 years ago

Can't believe you haven't seen any reviews on KA ranges!!! Bad , bad bad. Do a search on here and go look at Epinions as well as CR.

• 16 years ago

I have a Kitchenaid slide in range. Very sharp looking with stainless steel and Black ceramic(?) top. We love the look and paid quite a bit for it because it was a slide in that overlaps the counter a little on each side and has a nice custom look. We have had a couple repairs over the last 5 years and I would recommend that whatever appliance you choose to get the extended warranty. They are just not made super well with alot of plastic parts. We are very disappointed in our Kitchenaid microwave. The side panel of the door (plastic) cracked!This was after having the micro for 3 years... That shouldn't happen! We are very careful with our things! The door handle on it has been wiggly for some time and on Thanksgiving my company went to open the door and the handle broke off! Extended warranty is what my repair guy tells me.... things are not made to last. They work well and look great, but the microwave has too much plastic...

• 16 years ago

I purchased a KA side by side CD frig in April. It was in the "back room" at the appliance dealer and is actually a 2004 model. It has performed very well, and it in fact replaced a less than 5 year old GE Profile (which was here when I moved in). I had the GE repaired 4 times in 2 years. The experience has made me swear off all GE appliances.

I also put a KA dishwasher in 1993 in my old house. It is still washing well, as of last speaking with the owners. I am considering KA for my redo, but I also like Miele, and it was not that much more expensive than the KA I was considering. You may want to take a look at those too.

• 16 years ago

If you have had a range for 5 years and it has been repaired a couple of times...I would run from that brand.
    I Just saw a TV ad for Kenmore blenders, toasters, and small appliances.

Since Whirlpool makes KA and some Kenmore products I wonder if these new Kenmore products are of the same product design as the KA small appliances. I am not getting near them.

• 16 years ago

i bought a kitchen aide counter dept fridge from sears and was abotut o buy the more expensive ge profile and 3 sears salesman said no no no. they all said ge profiles are having terrible ice maker problems

• 16 years ago

have a GE Profile and it isn't having the icemaker problem just doesn't like to get cold; temps mainly range in the mid to high 40's

the recent serviceman said its a bad mother board; we shall see

as another poster said search on Kitchen Aid ovens, that should send you running to another brand

• 16 years ago

I have a GE Profile frig for 2 mos now--FD CD. It has an icemaker, but its not hooked up--my choice. I'm very happy with it; very quiet, & keeps perfect temperature as set--31 in frig, zero in freezer.

• 16 years ago

I can give you a positive report about my GE slide-in electric range. It has seen heavy use for 2 years and has been problem free. Elements heat and cool down fast, and I like the warming element for heating plates. Also, the SS finish has been very easy to keep looking good.

When I redid my kitchen, I also looked at the GE dishwasher, did my homework, and got a top of the line Bosch DW instead. It was money well spent. Remember you are going to be using it every day for years to come. Don't go cheap on this.

I can't recommend GE refrigerators without reservations. My GE counter-depth is now 7 years old and the door-front icemaker/dispenser hasn't worked properly in over 5 of those years. The temps inside the fridge and freezer have been okay though.

• 16 years ago

I too am shopping for a new (convection / self-cleaning) electric range.

I was just about to buy the beautiful KitchenAid slide-in model when I heard its cooling fan : too loud and annoying for me! And the fan is on all the time, which means all day if you're making some slow-cooking recipe!

My next choices are the Ge Profile Slide-in (JS998SKSS) and the Jenn-Air updraft slide-in models (JES8850BAS ). But : no store allows me to listen to their cooling fan noise....I don't know if I should take a chance on one of them, or if I should switch to a free-standing range (which ususally doesn't have a cooling fan, as the electronics are in the back).

Any opinons on the noise level of these products?
    Or on other features (for instace, GE has one large burner - great -- but the other 3 look quite small...)

Is it true that Jenn-Air ranges break more often than other brands?

If you have one of these products, I'd like to know if you're fully satisfied...

Thanks!

• 16 years ago

-applshopper, have you considered looking at the newer Electrolux lines. It is mid range between the Elux "ICON" and the Frigidaire Pro series. Great features, nice price point.

• 16 years ago

Footflash...do you know anything about Electrolux ovens? If anyone has any suggestions on cabinet depth refrigerators with ice and water in door, I would appreciate it. Also, need to make a decision on a double convection oven. HELP! Anyone? Thanks.

• 16 years ago

We have the KA CD 25 sq ft. side by side ref. It has performed very well except that the icemaker periodically will stop working. The fill tube that comes from the top of the freezer will freeze up, stopping the flow of water. I give it a squeeze with the pliers (it is a rubber tube) and it starts working again. Have had 2 service calls for this problem in 2 years. Too many for a $2100.00 ref. Other that that it is fine. Maintains temp fine, shelf space is great, etc.

We have GE monogram rangetop and oven. It looks like the burners on the GE Cafe line are similar to the monogram burners, but the output on the Cafe line is less. I don't know about profile. A couple of the profile ovens seem to have the same specs as Monogram, but cost less. Or at least that was the case 2 years ago when I built the house. My opinion is that either brand will be fine. Buy the specs and the style you like and enjoy.

• 16 years ago

I bucked the trend here and have a CD sxs GE profile Fridge and a KA convection oven.

LOVE 'EM!!!

• 16 years ago

XOXOSMOM, What did you decide to get for your appliances? Are you happy with your choices???

• 16 years ago

Mommycooks,
    Which KA convection oven did you get? Have you had any problems with the self-cleaning function blowing the thermostat fuse which is widely reported elsewhere in the appliance forum?

I am getting my KA double convection oven (Architect Series II) installed today. I purchased it before I found this site and read about the self-cleaning issues. I am hoping that problem may have been fixed with the Series II line but fortunately I bought the 5 year extended warranty.

Curious if you have experienced any similar problems with your KA convection?

• 16 years ago

I am considering purchasing the KA counter depth 25ft, Arcitect series II in black. While shopping someone had in stock the older model Architect series. The door handles are different and the water dispenser is different. The older has levers? Can anyone describe the frame to the H2O dispenser? Smooth, matt textured shiny.
    Is the new model improved concerning the water dispenser
    Any info would be appreciated
    Thanks

• 16 years ago

An interesting thread! It's funny that GE Profile appliances have such a poor reputation now. We have a 25cuft Profile we bought in late 1998. I'd like to get rid of it because it's white and I'd prefer counter depth freezer on the bottom style - but that ol' girl keeps working great and I can't justify retiring her just yet. Never a problem with temperature, icemaker or leaks - it's just worked well every day since we got it. It also had that little door within a door - remember those? You can put beverages or snacks in there and open it without opening the whole door and losing cool air. I wonder if GE has gotten worse or if it varies from time to time depending on model, how long they've been making it, etc.

Britt

• 16 years ago

Comparing 1998 to now? I think the reliability of every appliance has gotten worse.

• 15 years ago

We have all GE Profile appliances and most are the top of the line. Here's my score:
    Fridge: Love it. No problems. We have a side by side in black
    Microwave: It's "OK". Haven't really used a lot of the functions on it.
    Oven: Has regular and convection. We had it installed approx. 2 months ago. The convection fan motor went out almost immediately. Since the repair (no charge), we've been pretty happy with it.
    Stove Top: Ceramic type - 4 burners - 30". Can seem to find a SIMMER; either boiling or just warming. Very difficult to clean - and I had a ceramic stove before (Kenmore) and loved it.
    Dishwasher: HATE IT!
    Pop up down draft: Works fine so long as you're cooking on the back burners. Of the course the larger burners are located on the front of my stove top - so it's entirely ineffective for those ones.

That about covers it.
    :(

• 15 years ago

Just had a cd botom GE profile delivered yesterday from Sears. Got up this morning and had water all over the kitchen floor and the whole freezer was spoiled. The fan blows but the fridge never got cold. I tried everything turbo cool, reset all controls. Went back to Sears and they said they had to send a repairman out before I could exchange it.I told them I didn't want a new item fixed the first day.After much argueing and raising my voice they let me exchange it for another Ge 4 door bottom freezer.More money of course. I hope this one works. I am giving another try because I had a GE Artica 6 years old and never had 1 problem.If this one doesn't work I am writing GE off. Jim

• 13 years ago

Anything and everything made by GE is Junk. Trouble is I am having a hard time finding a hand mixer that is NOT made by GE. All the brand names come back to either made by GE or assembled by GE. If you know of one that isn't please reply to ibdpi@yahoo.com

Thanking you in advance

J.R. Neville