Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oddie_gw

Want to share Christmas crafting ideas?

oddie
16 years ago

Hey everyone! thought we might share some of our past or present Christmas crafts, seems to be a few new people to the fourm and might not have seen some of your very talented crafts !

I posted a link to a sideshow I made in the gallery, take a look if you like, and please show yours!

happy Crafting

Oddie

Comments (33)

• tykers
    16 years ago

I stumbled along here after seeing your crafts posted. Beautiful!
    Till I get the hang of posting pictures, may I share a tip I just discovered? I was painting wooden dowels to look like candy canes. After painting them white, I tried all different kinds of tape to wrap around to make the stripe. Painters take, masking tape. I tried florist tape. You know the kind that you have to stretch to make it stick? It keeps wonderfully tight without the worry of pulling up any of the undercoat! It's so much easier to use, and if you pull it tight it doesn't let paint seep underneath. Sure wish I had tried this years ago.....

• oddie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great tip! sounds like it works like the blue painters tape, I have some of that florist tape and will keep your idea in mind.
    thanks for shareing
    oddie

• grandma_bonnie
    16 years ago

I like the tip too! TFS I'll take pics this week-end to show my Christmas items. Going with a snowman theme this year - they're so cute!!! Here's my tip for Christmas painting. I gpo thru lots of white paint - I buy my white paint by the pint(find it on sale) LPOTS cheaper than the 2 oz. bottles we buy and I use it to make snow by adding borax 'till I get the right consistancy. I also use the white to mix with my other colors to make pink, light blue etc. I use a toothpick to dot the eye - makes all the difference in the world.

• Pudge 2b
    16 years ago

I do mostly floral work and dabble in some other things. This year I read about bending an artificial greenery wreath in half which then creates an arch. Once it's bent in two, you twist a few of the wired stems together to hold the bend in place. Because it doubles the greenery, it makes a cheap looking wreath look really full. Here's one I've done (I've got some craft shows coming up, so am working on a few more).

{{gwi:690666}}

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Wow, we those are some great tips Grandma Bonnie and Pudge. I love the borax idea for snow. Those little bottles of the Snowtex never go very far. And what a great idea for making the greenery look fuller for the swag! TFS these great tips.

Luvs

• sweets98
    16 years ago

Oh, not Christmas already! LOL I'm still stuck on fall and until Thanksgiving is over and the tree comes out, I'm not touching Christmas or winter projects! LOL When I get the tree up the Sat after Thanksgiving and DH heads off to hunting camp, I'll get busy making ornaments and other things! :)

• grandma_bonnie
    16 years ago

sweets - we have to do Christmas now - at least I do as I sell at craft shows and I've had Christmas sales the last two weeks! It will be in the low 80 this week-end and I'll be selling Christmas items as well as my neck coolers - go figure! Pudge - GREAT idea on the wreaths - I may try it next year!

• tammy_crafter
    16 years ago

On the candy canes - I am using the cheap plastic ones (instead of the old wooden expense canes)tearing strips of tea dyed muslen and stips of reds and greens and whatever I feel looks like a candy cane and wrapping them around the cane and puttingsprigs of grrens and etc. and a bow - No I have no picture cause me and phtotbucket didn't get along
    Like to see them snowmen Grandma B - I'm a snowman lover - did a show a couple of weeks ago and it was 90 degrees - don't think anybody was in the mood for Xmas - did run into a lady who bought on of the snowmen - she was buying material to reproduce them - so be it

• oddie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes sweets must think of Christmas! Iam so slow have to start early LOL!
    Love all the ideas! thanks so much for shareing! now if I can remenber them all!
    Pudge I sooo love your wreath! its just beautiful, hope I dont forget that tip, bet you sell out at craft shows.
    Happy Crafting
    Oddie

• giftguru09
    16 years ago

Eeeek... Christmas !!! I am still trying to figure out what I am doing for Thanksgiving..centerpieces,decorations, relatives, FOOD !!!

I know I am open to ideas because I am getting tired of my usual decorations. I think I may try that whole Victorian Christmas Decorative look...

• barb_from_pa
    16 years ago

pudge - that is beautiful! what a great idea.

• Pudge 2b
    16 years ago

Thanks very much for the compliments. My first show for the season is this Saturday, so many of you know the push that happens before that first show. Anyway, here's a few more ideas -

This is my 'basic' - I sold out of these and then took orders for them last year. At $15 each, I make about $10 per sale. This year my price is going up to $17. The base is the dark green florist plastic container, filled with a half brick of dry oasis. The candle is in a candle pic. I buy all these in bulk at a wholesale shop. The greenery is garland, unwired into individual pieces and then twisted 3 per bundle, then glued to the oasis. The ornaments are all end of the season buys and glued in. The ribbons are 6-8" pieces twisted onto small lengths of wire and poked in here and there.
    {{gwi:1481926}}

This has battery operated mini lights around the small grapevine wreath - I found them good and cheap at the dollar store. Everything else is just hot glued into place.
    {{gwi:690673}}

This has a 2x6 painted wooden base, and a small terra cotta pot painted gold to hold the candle. All else is glued. I'm still not sure about what I'll charge for this - probably around $35. LOL, probably $10 worth of glue in there.
    {{gwi:1481927}}

And this is what I was working on this weekend, took me longer than I thought it would. The idea came from my constant trolling around the internet looking for ideas. They're blocks of wood - I couldn't get nice 4x4's so I used 2x4 pieces glued together. Then painted, sponged and adorned. I made 5 sets in different colours, and the last 2 aren't yet quite done.
    {{gwi:1481928}}

• caanei
    16 years ago

Oddie,
    The blocks are absolutely beautiful. Would you mind sharing the dimensions. I think I just found Christmas gifts for this year.

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Giftguru, you might want to stop by on the Holidays forum. Lots of neat centerpiece ideas, and one of the gals has even created an album for us with pics of Fall and Christmas ideas. I know what you mean about being tired of the old ones, most of my stuff, I have used for years too.

Pudge, your centerpieces are so pretty and your prices are really reasonable too. I'm sure you will have lots of sales. Oh, I also wanted to mention that you make gorgeous bows!

Luvs

• Pudge 2b
    16 years ago

Thanks again. Caanei, the blocks are 9", 7" and 5" tall.

• grandma_bonnie
    16 years ago

I agree on the bows - they can make ya or break ya... lush bows always win hands down... Yours are lush, my dear...

• oddie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Pudge, what beautiful crafts you do,love them all! the box are beautiful and clever! have to go look in hubbys woodshop and see if he has some wood I can use, do have some cut offs from 4x4s but they are not nice, kinda reminds me of the chicken wire wraped gifts, can be made just as nice.
    thanks for shareing!
    oddie

• caanei
    16 years ago

Pudge,
    Thanks so much for the dimensions. Sorry got your name wrong. Oddie posted, the blocks were yours, my mind going 100 miles an hour thinking, I have to make those!!! LOL!!
    Your crafts are beautiful, I'm inspired by your talent.

• barb_from_pa
    16 years ago

Pudge - You do such beautiful work. I'm not always a big fan of centerpieces and such, but yours are wonderful! Hope you sell a ton of 'em!
    Barb

• sheri
    16 years ago

Hi all,
    We are getting ready to have our Christmas Workshop again this year. We always have people asking afterwards for a supply list so they can make more at home for gifts to give away. I created a website with pictures and instructions for the crafts last year. I'll be adding more from the event this year, hopefully soon. Feel free to take a look at www.childmadecrafts.com.

Here are a couple of ones from this year that I hope to be adding to the website soon.

A gingerbread chef made from a lightbulb...

A snowman made from a favors bucket with candy for a hat...

A penguin made from a chip-clip...

A nice patriotic star made with fabric strips...

• idahodiydiva
    16 years ago

OK, ladies it's been a while since I visited.

Oddie, I don't understand the link to a slideshow. I can't seem to find it. Can you guide me?

Also, I'm looking for ideas to make 30 centerpieces for a fancy fund-raising dinner -- the theme is "Snow Ball" and it's truly a dance. I'm planning on doing snowballs, using glitter and different textures. We will use silver and pastel blues. We're doing banquet tables, so I need more long and narrow. Any ideas, tips or photos?
    Any help would be terrific....

• shaun
    16 years ago

I've really enjoyed reading this thread so far! Thanks for the beautiful pictures too.

Still not sure what to make this year, that arched wreath looks beautiful but you know what I stress over? The Bow. I can't make a decent bow to save my life and I even bought one of those bow makers and cant use that either!

I'm a mess when it comes to bows.

Thanks again for the ideas.

• grandma_bonnie
    16 years ago

shaun - I use wired ribbon and the bowdabra. ...and use more ribbon than you think you'll use! I'e been using the bowdabra for years and you can shape the wired ribbon to make them pop.

• grandma_bonnie
    16 years ago

Sheri - it says your website is down... I'll try later - you do good work!!!

• oddie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sheri what beautiful crafts you do! love them all! I think I like the snowman bucket best! tried clicking on your site but it says temp/unavaiable will try agine latter.
    Idahodiydiva if you look just above where the message starts, you will see on-topic discussion to the right you will see switch to gallery, click on gallery and look for my post, also alot of photos there that you might have missed from others crafters, hopefully someone will come along and help you out with some ideas, have you checked out the holiday fourm? they post alot of photos there of holiday decorations, you might find ideas, or post your ? there.
    Shaun I am posting a link on bow making that has helped me, hope it helps.
    happy Crafting
    oddie

Here is a link that might be useful: Bow Makeing

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Sheri, your craft items are darling. How clever to use a chip clip for a creation. I will look forward to seeing more of your pics. Love the little gingie baker lightbulb--so cute! Luvs

• Pudge 2b
    16 years ago

That's a great link for bow making, thanks for posting it. I make mine differently, but will probably try some of these methods to see if they're quicker. Shaun, don't be discouraged - bows can be tough and practice is the key.

Sheri, I absolutely love that pail idea. What are the earmuffs made of?

idahodiydiva, I can see your snowball theme working with white ball candles, and long and narrow can be done by using 2x6 or 2x8 wood cut to whatever length you need, painted white and perhaps here and there using the borax snow idea above. The ball candles, I'd use 3 or 5 if the centrepiece is quite long, could be elevated - when candles are involved I'm always a little leary of fire hazard. Instead of green greenery, white would be nice. Ribbon can go a long way if pieces are used instead of trying to work in really long lengths. Some coordinating silk floral and completely silver (not just tipped) pinecones. LOL, wow, I can see it in my head and now I want to do some myself.

• shaun
    16 years ago

Well thank you Grandma and Oddie! Appreciate that!

• caanei
    16 years ago

Pudge, Would you mind sharing your bow making technique? Your bows are perfect. Thanks.

• Pudge 2b
    16 years ago

Sure, caanei, I'm just not sure how well I can explain it.

Decide on tail length, and if you want more 2 or 4 tails. If you want two, leave a single length before starting the loops. At the end you'll leave another length which will become the 2nd tail. If you want 4, then start with a big loop which will later be cut to make tails, and you'll finish with another big loop which will become tails 3 and 4. There is, of course, option here for many tails and I often will use a 5th.

So with the big length hanging down, now make the 1st loop which will become the bow. Pinch and wrap twice with 24 gauge wire, Make another loop, pinch into place and wrap with wire and tighten. This will be the centre of the bow. I hold the tails in my right hand with my baby and ring finger, pinch with my thumb and forefinger, and lay the paddle wire over the back of my pinching hand. The other hand works the loops. Then just keep making the loops, working around the first two loops, pinching into place and wrapping tight with wire. With 2.5" ribbon, 7-9 loops makes a pretty nice sized bow. Narrower ribbon requires more loops. I like smaller looped bows better than long but that's just my preference. At the end, leave a length for the 2nd tail (or a big loop for the 3rd & 4th tail, or a loop and a length for 5 tails). Give it a final 2 wraps of wire and tighten. Fluff starting from the middle and work out. Cut the big loops to make the tails. And that's it - hope I explained it well enough.

• sharon_fl
    16 years ago

idahodiydiva: (sorry to post here-but no email link on your 'my page')

A suggestion for your 30 table centerpieces...
    Get a 4x8' sheet of styrofoam at Home Depot and cut into long strips-I'm guessing 4' long for 8' tables. The width might be either 6" or 8" -depending on your tables' width & how much other stuff will be on the tables. You'd get (16) 6"x4' lengths from 1 sheet of foam..

Cover the strips of foam with a pretty blue glittery fabric-sheer sparkle type-and pin into the foam-leaving it tufted here & there-not flat.

Using picks of all lengths..(chopsticks, skewers, toothpicks, etc) poke your snowballs into the foam at varying heights.

Then using the glittery artificial snow (in bags)..stretch it out so it's thin and weave amid the snowballs-so that some of the blue fabric shows through. You also could insert sprigs of pine all around the sides of each 4' runner-this would also anchor the weight so the runner wouldn't tip over. Maybe add spray snow to some of the pine & a little 'glitz while it's still wet?

• luvmypets
    16 years ago

Just finally got rid of all my old magazines, (naturally.) One of the magazines had an idea and picture of a centerpiece done with a pillar candle which was set in cranberries?
    I know it is no biggie but the way it was done was so pretty and it is making me crazy not remembering the exact look.

• kittym
    16 years ago

several yrs ago, someone posted this. I make them every yr. Use a qt.size canning jar, insert a few pieces of pine, add water about2/3 up, add a handfull of cranberries, remove a tea candle from the medal holder, push down into the cranberries and light. Very pretty. I use different sized jars, and esp. like the light blue ones.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County