Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

Does anyone have sketchers Shape-Up sneakers or something similar

lkplatow
14 years ago

Sketchers makes a pair of sneakers called shape-ups that are rounded on the bottom -- supposedly, the extra work you have to do balancing yourself as you walk helps strengthen and tone your legs and butt. Reebok and Avia also make similar claims about their versions of the "shape-up" shoes.

I have been eyeing up the Shape-Ups at Kohls for a while now but they're pricey (usually on sale they run $100). I happen to have a 30% off coupon and another coupon for $10 off $50, so I could get them for $60. Tried them on today and they're kind of comfy, but also felt a bit clunky and strange and they looked really hideous with my usual attire (jeans and a wooly sweater). I had every intention of buying them today and left without them, so apparently, there was something about them that I didn't like.

Just wondering if anyone has these shoes or the similar versions from Reebok or Avia. I did read a review from a doctor of the Reeboks and he did say that they do work as far as increasing muscular effort when you walk. But I'd trust a real-life review from one of you guys more than some internet doctor, LOL!

Anybody have any experience with these? Thanks!

Comments (10)

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

No experience but have considered them. Avon.........yes the Avon perfume people, sell a cheap knock-off for $39 in their catalog (last time I checked). At that price it may not be so devastating if you don't like them and give them away.

I do wear Earth shoes and reviewers say the MBT shoes walk the same. They just have thicker soles.

• igloochic
    14 years ago

I have the original ones (don't remember the brand but they were expensive). Thick soles...maybe they're the MBT? Don't know, but I can report they do work you out! I should wear them more but when I do, I know I've been wearing them.

I don't like running up and down stairs in them so I can't wear them in the house (4 stories in one house and five in another) which is why I often forget to put them on. I wish they came in a clog LOL I'd be much more likely to wear them. I'm kind of a hands free shoe putter oner

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Whoa. Price went up again. $49. The introductory price was $29. MBT knock-off with thick soles.

The same sole in sandal style is cheaper.

This is Avon's "lowered heal sneaker". Earth knock-off.

• wearybuilder
    14 years ago

So glad you asked this question! I've had the exact same thoughts popping through my head, but haven't tried them on yet.

I'm excited to hear more opinions out there!

Thanks!

• harriethomeowner
    14 years ago

I tried the MBT sandals once. The weird sole thing wasn't bad, thought it seemed like it would be very possible to turn an ankle in them because the soles are so thick. They didn't fit me right in other ways, so I took them back. They were really expensive (~$250 -- I must have been out of my mind to even consider them in the first place, but I usually have to pay a lot for shoes because I wear a size 11).

I just posted in another thread about shoes to wear with jeans that I have a pair of Merrell Mary Jane style shoes. I was surprised, but those really gave my legs a workout the first few days I wore them -- I could feel all kinds of muscles I didn't know I had. They aren't cheap, either, but they are much more attractive than the MBT style. I wear mine almost every day.

• rich69b
    14 years ago

I have skechers shape ups since July last year, when it first came out. I like it a lot. I wear it to work (I'm a nurse)and when I do my morning walk. Very comfortable and light, not at all clunky - maybe at first, then you get used to it. I have not lost a pound but then again, I eat a lot of junk food, and not consistent with my morning walk. But I feel my calves are more toned:)

• jen9
    14 years ago

I received the Reeboks version as a xmas gift. They haven't made a bit of difference in my appearance. I have worn them around running errands and have also worn them to work out (running on treadmill, etc.). I don't like them for the latter, as I feel slightly less stable than normal. For regular activities, after they're on for a few minutes, I forget about it & they feel like regular gym shoes. I still don't look the girl on the commerical, however. :)

• golddust
    14 years ago

I have MBT sandals that I never wear but my DH wears his MBTs ALL the time and loves them. He has sandals and shoes. He said the hardest thing about wearing them is standing still because you have to balance on them.

My MBTs are almost brand new. I don't like them much but my sister just bought some Sketcher shape up shoes and loves them.

Walking and exercise in any kind of shoes is the best.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

I bought MBTs for my husband and me. We love them, but don't buy into the claims of losing inches on your butt or thighs. We got them for joint issues. DH could barely walk when he would get home every evening (former runner and marathoner), so when I read about these helping with knee issues, I bought a pair for each of us. He noticed almost immediate relief and never wears his normal dress (loafers or wingtips) shoes any more. I teach, so I am on my feet almost all day and I plan my wardrobe around my various MBT choices (I now have three pair as does DH). I wear black slacks a lot-lol! I wouldn't pay extra for knock-offs b/c they probably are not using the same technology despite a similar look and even the real thing doesn't really seem to shape my butt or thighs any more than any other shoe. If joints are a problem for you though, then I would recommend them.

• anjelaye_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I just bought AVIA, it's sooooo comfortable, I love wearing it ... and when I walk in it i feel sooo good... my legs can feel it right away... its kinda warm your legs up real fast ... Love it and will keep wearing it. By the way, I got a good deal at ROSS, so $20 smthing can get a good ones! Try it....