Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginger25

HomeStretch Sofas - Good Quality? Anybody have one?

ginger25
9 years ago

I have been looking for a fabric sofa. I hope to purchase one of good quality. I saw this brand in one of our local furniture stores. The mechanism is All-Steel Leggett & Platt. If anybody has some of this furniture, or knows anything about it, I would interested in hearing from you. www.homestretchfurniture.com Thank you.

Comments (66)

• Kitty
    8 years ago

HOME STRETCH FURNITURE IS JUNK !!! Do not buy !!

• Lynn Ross
    8 years ago

I purchased a loveseat and couch made by homestretch. I'm heartbroken. It took me 25 years to buy new couches and the quality of the seats and footrests are horrible. I weigh 125-127lbs.at 5'9". I am not a big woman. Within 2 days of having my loveseat, the seat cushion and footrest are flat and hard. The cushion smashed down. Three weeks later, my seat is hurting my back. I did not pay good money for this to happen this fast. Also, since we picked up my couch and loveseat from over a hour away, I'm being told I'd have to take it back to the store for repairs. These couches weigh 250 lbs each. Not a happy consumer at all. I'll update with the outcome of the repairs.

• gill50more
    8 years ago

Oh Lord how sorry I feel for you. I too, purchased a couch and loveseat from HomeStretch and it was so so terrible. Within 3 months, or less, the seat that I only sit in was completely hard as a rock and I actually had to put a pillow on it to be partly comfortable. The footrest smashed down to nothing. I have never hated a set as bad as this one. Terrrible. I contacted HomeStretch, since the furniture store FFO wasn't helping whatsoever. They restuffed my loveseat, but within maybe 2, or less months it looked the same. You could sure see the difference between the couch, which as never sat on to the one side of the loverseat. Looked nice if you didn't use it. Very sad!!! I had it returned to the store, but they wouldn't return my money. I exchanged it for another Home Stretch piece of junk that was even more money, but I gave it to my son and daughter in law, since it will be used in place where people don't hardly ever sit. Pretty much a shame you buy something that only lasts if you don't use them. Oh, buy the way, yes they do come to your house to re-stuff it, but believe me it won't stay, nor help. I knew there were going to be more problems, since he left 2 more boxes for me to store in my garage. HomeStretch needs to learn how to make a couch and chair that you can actually use.

• tylermarlin48
    7 years ago

use 1.8 density foam in seat cushion, 1.2 density is standard

use virgin fiber made in the U.S..... most use recycled fiber from overseas

oak wood seat box! most are plywood

uni-rail 5-ply hardwood frame (to accept more stress) reinforced with mortise and tenon interlocking joints!

350lb. mech

and removable backs......

Don't know if you can find better built motion furniture. Most companies are using particle board wood in their frames

• Jen Jennifer
    7 years ago

Thank Goodness I found this site and read these comments. I looked at a Nailhead Trim Recliner and matching Power Reclining Sofa last eve. It WAS Gorgeous. But I have usually bought La-Z-Boy products and I've enjoyed years of lasting durability in whatever I purchased. (I am one of those ladies who likes to buy and change my look/living room every few years. So, knowing my past GREAT fortune with LA-Z-BOY, I felt comfortable even buying Used recliners via craigslist. (they've ALL held-up well!!) BASED ON COMMENTS FROM OTHER BUYERS EXPERIENCE WITH HOMESTRETCH, THEIR HISTORY ISN'T GOOD QUALITY!

You will get what you pay for. When making a purchase, I wish folks would think to themselves, "BEFORE I lay down my hard-earned dollars - "just how long is this furniture going to last? "how long has this company been in business? "what have other people said about Their experiences with this particular BUSINESS (i.e. and the particular BRAND, like Flexsteel, LA-Z-BOY, Broyhill, etc.) BOTTOM-LINE: Research BEFORE you buy anything! If you're going to pay multiple hundreds of $'s or more, it better hold-up and last for years, not just look Great in the showroom!! (AND, what is the credibility of the business/company you're buying the product from??-will they stand behind your purchase? Ask them BEFORE you buy!!!!!!-what is their return policy?-do they have a 30-day price guarantee?? RESEARCH ... RESEARCH!

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    7 years ago

I dont think "Most companies are using particle board wood in their frames" most sure are using plywood and the plys are related to how thick the plywood is. If your using 1" thick plywood then just 5 plys is not enough or even possible, has to be closer to 8 or more. The best grade 1" plywood is closer to 20 plys. Also 1.8 density polyurethane foam is standard for seats, maybe 1.2 density is standard for backs. An HR or Ultracell foam will out perform standard polyurethane foam manytimes over.

• tylermarlin48
    7 years ago

Best thing to do is go into store and turn over product and look underneath to see how the foundation is built. Foundation and guts of product is what makes it last

• ginger25
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you!

• Johnny Ebner
    6 years ago

The problem with using sites like this for researching product is everyone is completely different. I used to sell furniture for a living and reading some of these complains literally makes me cringe. Someone a few comments up said they have been looking for 25 years.....who has the time to look for a sofa for 25 years? and when the person does find this so called mystery sofa, surely they'll be disappointed because I mean come on.....she's looked for 25 years for this.

Secondly about the padding, they are mainly from what I have seen over stuffed sofas and upholstery. Having a bunch of padding IT WILL SOFTEN UP and look sloppy, its common sense, does not mean the sofa is cheaply made, unless the frame/mech is broken.

Also, another thing I have learned from working my whole life in customer service. One commenter mentioned they switched her sofa out and she still wasn't happy so she got a different more expensive brand and still was not happy. THESE TYPE OF CUSTOMERS CANNOT BE MADE HAPPY, they have a problem in their head and will not change, no matter what.

Sorry for the rant but seeing these comments make me sick, if you like a sofa, check out the insides of it, flip it up and look underneath it to see 1st hand what the construction is instead of what crazies are saying on review sites. AND remember, a soft pillowy sofa is a sloppy sofa, not a firm tight back granny sofa that holds its look for 20 years. If that's what youre looking for, buy the granny sofa.

Thank you

• Fitz
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Bought one and scheduled pick up when house is done in two weeks. Went to check out legs to see what kind of padding needed to protect wood floors when we move in. I lifted the love seat from one end and immediately noticed the unit folding some at center. It seemed real weak in structure to the point that I went online and found this web site for reviews on Homestretch Furniture. Got to admit I am going 30 miles to the store today, turning the unit over to look see and possibly asking for my money back before taking possession.... certainly a store credit from America's Furniture Warehouse in Myrtle Beach, SC. News at eleven!

• m_sturmie
    6 years ago

johnny ebner- where did you come up with the idea that the person was looking for a couch for 25 years. No where did it say that. She said it took 25 years to buy a "NEW" couch, which means she either bought used or didnt have the money for a "NEW" couch until then. As usual, in my experience, people in customer service never listen and have poor comprehension skills.

• jason_kern58
    6 years ago

Pretty good sales pitch here....

hope that the bad issues are with a small minority...

I just purchased Power Console Loveseat by HomeStretch 146-57-14.

• tythetygerlpcustom
    6 years ago

jason_kern58

I was wondering if you had any opinions on your purchase of the power console loveseat you purchased after your short time owning it? I am looking at the same piece.

Thanks,

• Karoline Barrett
    6 years ago

Ohhhh! I am getting delivery of a Homestretch recliner tomorrow! It was lovely in the store. I certainly hope I have a better experience than the commenters here. Eeesh!! I also bought the extended warranty. I'll let you all know!!

• Rhonda Sherrill
    5 years ago

My fiance bought the sofa and 2 recliners that have electric remotes and the cushions have already flattened after 3 weeks. Feels like you sitting on a plywood. Pretty though!

• Linda Day
    5 years ago

Was it by chance the "Atlantis" model? We had a sofa and two recliners on order and cancelled after reading the comments on this forum.

• gregproy
    5 years ago
    You won’t find a better piece of furniture in America for the money than Homestretch! I’ve owned Lane, Ashley and now Homestretch for over 2 years. Sits awesome and so comfortable and looks like the day I bought it!
  • HU-296036668
    5 years ago

Wish I had read these reviews before my purchase. Had a handle break on my sofa recliner and been trying to get a replacement for 6 weeks. Homestretch has no intention of taking care of any warranty items. I have given up on them and will purchase a new sofa recliner but it sure won't be from homestretch.

• lnapier
    5 years ago

I have two of the mechanical recliners and they have held up good. I noticed after we bought them that I started having buzzing in my ears and it has gotten worse.. Just wondering if it could be caused by the mechanics or spray in fabric or if it's just a coincidence. Anyone else ever had problems from something like that?

• flowerstl
    4 years ago

We purchased a Home Stretch sectional in 2016. It looks and feels like new. 0 problems. So many negative reviews make me believe the competition is iinvolved.

• Randy Hoffman
    4 years ago

I have owned my own furniture store for 30 years sold nearly all of the brands listed including Home Stretch, honestly they are one of the very best companies I could recommend, excellent customer service their product quality is tops for the price. Buy Home Stretch you won't be dissatisfied if you buy from a reputable company. Not Perfect but still a good product.

• HU-390249148
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I purchased sofa and recliner and both were flat within a month and have had issues getting it repaired and when it was came back in worse shape. Talked to Home Stretch said store resp for warranty. Does anyone know if anyone has taken FF to small claims court for not honoring warranty or refunding money?

• Kelly Stone
    4 years ago

Cancel you payment. Or go to your bank and tell them they fraudulent misrepresented themselves and the product and the issue's . The bank or mine would get the money back and tell to come get their crap.

• Kelly Stone
    4 years ago

And Yes, I took a girl for a wreck or went through the process and she decided to not show up and had to pay then $ 80 I had to pay to begin with. But I had also began Arbitration Proceedings. Just have all your information and how they got you, What was wrong with pictures. There time of calls and yours. so on. But I am in SC

• HU-390249148
    4 years ago

Thanks for info.

• HU-390249148
    4 years ago

Bank couldn't get money back because by time I finally gave up on them had been over their time limit. Why I worked with them this long and BBB. Talked with HomeStretch. So last resort is go to court. I explained I would not be out of this much money and still have to buy more furniture.

• Kelly Stone
    4 years ago

I wish you all the Luck !!! It is a shame we as customers have to go this far!!! And our time spent.

• Barbara Mitchell
    4 years ago

I hate to hear all the negativity. I am prepared to purchase 2 reclincers locallly. My husband was in the furniture manuf. business for overly 40 years. This company is several empltyees that use to work for Lane. It sits little firm so it will flatten out some with normal wear. If anyone can recommend a recliner that will sit better and last longer I would LOVE to hear from you. If you purchased from a locally company shouldn't they get fixed or replaced? Thanks.

• HU-390249148
    4 years ago

HomeStretch furniture itself is good furniture. Issue is quality of the foam and padding used in it. Local company is responsible for repairs, homestretch sends all material and parts to them. FF has taken months to repair and came back unrepaired and in worse shape. I suggest you find out dentisy of foam used before you purchase. You can research on Google and it will tell you best to purchase for type of seating you want. I learned 1.8 was homestretch and will not hold up. But furniture is well made. In top 5 best made.

• gill50more
    4 years ago

FFO where I purchased the junk set of Home Stretch sofa and love seat is useless. I had to contact them so many times, but they sent a person out to restuff it. He even said the padding is not top quality, but since that was what he was sent with, he stuffed it again. We'll he came back the second time and restuffed it and he left me an entire box of foam, since he told me I will most likely be needing it. I paid $2,400 for the sofa and loveseat and boy did I ever get taken. Lesson learned shop quality before paying high prices for companies that sell junk. Went back to Lazy Boy and no problems. This is my last comment and will be signing off and all I have to save once again, don't buy anything from FFO, or Homestretch.

• Sandra Hughes
    4 years ago

I don’t know where you are coming from. I just received my Homestretch custom comfort dual power recliner sofa and absolutely love it. I tried it many times in the store before purchasing and went online to see how it was constructed. I defy you to find a better made better upholstered sofa. This is a truly well made product. Like anything else there are unfortunately times when a bad one may slip through (it happens). I would recommend this sofa over any other manufacturer and give it an excellent rating.

• gill50more
    4 years ago

Sandra Hughes, I hope you're really skinny and don't sit on the recliner very much. As, you can see from other comments their sofa and loveseat has flattened out within just a few weeks. And, yes Home Stretch send out a service man to restuff mine so I could get rid of the pillow I was sitting was. When I spoke on the phone with Home Stretch they actually asked me if I was overweight causing the issue. That didn't set well with me, since I'm a size 2. Anyway, they restuffed it the first time and within a month, or so it flattened out again. Service guy took it apart again and restuffed it and it looked great. He also left me a BIG box of stuffing, as he said I would probably need it. So, what does that mean to you?? It was junk and I traded it in for more junk, since they ( FFO ) wouldn't refund my money. I sold the other set to my son for his basement, since they are never down there and it won't get any use. Looks nice just sitting there. Sandra when yours falls flat and you have to sit on a pillow, just remember these bad reviews on that couch and loveseat that are on this site. And, you had better not be heavy, or they won't do anything. :o) Have a happy Home Stretch day.

• Dawn Skewes
    4 years ago

Wow! I am so surprised by these comments. We bought 2 homestretch recliners and a loveseat from rooms to go in 2011. They were from the Cody group. They have been fabulous. I am overweight, and wanted to make sure to buy something that would hold up. Every time someone comes over and sits on this furniture, they rave about how comfortable it still is. They have never been re stuffed either. There are lemons in most anything you buy. I wish everyone posting negative comments would put the specific model/name of the piece you bought, because there may have been problems with certain pieces.

• T Chandler
    4 years ago

I bought the Homestretch HS174-97-17 power p3 recliner and what a big disappointment. I saw one in a furniture store in Georgia and sit in it and it was the most comfortable chair I believe I had been in. I decided to purchase it through a local furniture store in Fort Payne, AL and when I got home and put it together it was the most uncomfortable recliner. It feels like sitting on hardwood and nothing like what I sit in the showroom floor. I do not recommend this recliner.

• gill50more
    4 years ago

Stay away from HomeStretch. Might be some reviews above saying it's great furniture, but believe me it's not. Sorry they got another person for a piece of junk. I too sat in the furniture before I bought it as most people do, but as noted in my above reviews, it was a total disappoint.

• m_sturmie
    4 years ago

It’s fine furniture for the price gill50. I’ve had my electric double reclining sofa ( I think it’s called the Atlantis)for 2 years and I have no complaints. I’m 6’4 235 pds I bought it because most foot rest are way to small for my legs and this one is extended. its People like you who think your going to get the quality of a$5000 sofa for $1000. you get what you pay for. Spend more money if you want something better.

• gill50more
    4 years ago

Believe me M sturmie I paid way more than a $1000 for that piece of junk. And, after the second restuffing, why do you think the service man left me with another box for the next time?? Now there mister smarty pants. And, I'm 118 lbs and that shouldn't smash anything down. I'm glad you're happy with your set. Maybe you lucked out, but as you can see from above comments that not all are as happy as you are. And, why would Home Stretch ask me how much I weigh when I was trying to work with those idiots. That's great customer service asking if your customer is FAT????

• m_sturmie
    4 years ago

i Paid $1200 total for mine. Sounds like you got ripped off from you furniture store if you paid more. like I said if you want high quality furniture, buy it. Just because you say it’s junk doesn’t mean it all is. Maybe you just got unlucky. (See how that works)..and, you can be fat at 118pds depending on your height.

• Arthur Lee Taylor
    3 years ago

I've had my Homestretch furniture 5 years and its still as good today as it was when i bought it. I wouldnt have any other kind of furniture. Reading some of the posting on here sounds like to me that i dont think anykind of furniture would please some of u people

• HU-705785804
    3 years ago

Love seat leans on both sides away from the center console, and is now rubbing on the floor when extended. Not happy bought 3/2019. I expect to get more than 2 years out of a $800 sofa. I would not buy from them.

• HU-390249148
    3 years ago

Bad furniture but I think I got used furniture. They do have different grades of furniture I found out later and furniture companies charge higher prices due to quality of better sets of Homestretch.

• HU-302150337
    3 years ago

I am very surprised at these negative reviews. I’ve had my Atlantis power recliner for three years. It sees alot of use and I’m 250 lbs. This chair is as good as the first time that I sat in it. I see good reviews in other places but not this one. I recommend that if you like the looks and comfort of the Homestretch Atlantis recliner, you do further research on different sites. Again, the poor reviews on this site don’t seem accurate.

• Matt Harriss
    3 years ago

I've had my Home Stretch sofa and the double recliners (whatever that's called) for over a year now and I have loved them since day 1. They are the most high end home stretch furniture (nearly $5000 for both pieces) and have a 4 year full warranty on everything from the material down to the smallest screw. They are all (4 recliners total) both fully adjustable from the legs to the lumbar area and the neck position. I'm 6'2" 225#, have a wife a 2 wild kids. They are solid as a rock. BUT... I guess there are less expensive pieces out there that may not be as durable. I would definitely buy again without hesitation.

• HU-124782190
    3 years ago

I bought the Mushroom color HomeStretch Venture Sofa and Loveseat with power remote to adjust Head rest, Lumbar, and Foot. I was looking for a firm sofa & loveseat where I don't have to fight to get out of. I hate sunken sofas. I had it scotch guard before purchase and the remotes system has a lifetime warranty. The set I bought was expensive but it's exactly what I wanted and it looks as good as the day I bought it. I'm shocked by the reviews because I've had no problems with my set and I'm about to purchase the chair so that I can have the complete living room set. We sit, sleep, and just relax in our chairs. They recline so far back its like a bed. I'm glad I didn't read these reviews before my purchase. I'm sorry for you guys but I love my set. Yes I'm an unpaid customer and this is a real review.😊

• john hickman
    3 years ago

My wife and I bought the couch, love seat & recliner at NFM about a year ago. No problems and they seem well built. If I had to complain about something it's that they sit a bit high for me, maybe I'll get lucky in the future and they will sag a bit like some have mentioned :-) . I'm 5-7" and 180, but I have to do a double bounce when I get in the recliner, sit down and then push myself back with the armrests. My wife is 5' even, and she hasn't mentioned anything so maybe it's just me. Otherwise absolutely zero complaints. We bought these because the gears stripped out in our old set. I took it apart (I'm and engineer/mechanic) but the gears where plastic in the old sofa and I couldn't get new gears, actually I couldn't even find a replacement actuator. For the price I'm hoping these don't have plastic gears.

• HU-971266127
    3 years ago

Totally unsatisfied with the lever you pull to lift foot rest. It is just myself (65) and my husband (73) and in just 3 years they have had to replace the lever two times. We bought two sofas with 4 recliners between the two. And now 2 more are broke. We raised 3 boys and in all the years they were growing up we never had a recliner lift lever break. It is a cheap brittle plastic lever with to tight of a wire for the foot rest. I will never buy furniture from Home Stretch again.

• Teresa Smith
    2 years ago

I love my Home Stretch reclining sofa and loveseat. I purchased in 2016 and have used it daily.

• emsprater
    2 years ago

I read the reviews before our purchase that we made in 02/21. In the showroom the sofa was extremely comfortable, sat exactly how I needed it to sit for me. I'm 6'1", 225 lbs, 66 with a history of lower lumbar issues. It was delivered and was wonderful - for about a month. It sank at least two inches. Seriously, so much that when I used the sofa it began to increase my back pain and then began to cause difficulty getting up from the sofa because the sunken portion places me in a position where my pelvis is lower than my knees. I finally made a claim with our furniture company - which has been great to deal with - and they sent someone to look at it 06/21. Yes, there's a definite issue the repair man said, and yes, maybe it's just a bad piece of foam. BTW, both reclining ends did this. So new inserts were ordered and their repair man brought them and put them in on a Tuesday. Before the next Tuesday rolled around, the sinking feeling has returned and is worsening. There's definitely something not right with the quality of the foam used here, or there's something wrong with the platform that supports the foam. Everything else seems to be quality and is to be appreciated, but honestly, what good is reclining 'comfort' furniture if that comfort doesn't last more than a month or even less? With that said, I know there's nothing better out there. Seriously. I think folks just need to understand this isn't going to hold it's comfort the same way it does when you try it out in the showroom.

• dfwimpey
    2 years ago

I purchased the leather couch, love seat and recliner, all power, top grain leather. I have had for 2 years, already replaced the recliner once because the leather, top grain, supposedly,, peeled off, and now the second one has done the same thing, and love seat is starting to do the same thing, was told by retailer i needed to put a cloth towel on head rest to get it not to do that, I only spent 5000.00 dollars for this terrible living room set. previous set lasted 18 years and has faded but never did this peeling thing, dont waste your money!

• lucky driver
    last year

anymore updates on this brand . im going to get a wide double loveseat. i watched vids online. it has a zipper apparently to replace all the padding. this was a huge problem with my mackenzie sofa. if i could have replaced it then it would have been nice. also it says limited lifetime on the reclining mechanism which is the exact issue i have with the current sofa and why i need replacement