Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swimkin

What flooring to use for exercise room?

Zoe52
16 years ago

We are building a new home that will have all wood flooring. One room on the first floor will be a bedroom that we are going to use as an exercise room. Because this is our last home, I might have to convert that exercise room into a guest room someday if my husband is no longer able to use the equipment. Also, if we have to sell the home for some reason, I want to be able to convert the room into another bedroom for resale.

I would like to have the same wood flooring in that room that we plan to use in the rest of the house under a carpet (or some other material), to protect the floor from his heavy equipment and any water spills (from his water bottle).

My question is if we should we go ahead and finish the wood floor, or just leave it unfinished and finish it later if we need to? Also, what material (carpet, rubberized matting, etc) should we use over it to best protect the finished wood flooring?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (7)

• mcbird
    16 years ago

Zoe,
    We just purchased a Precor ellipitical for our exercise room yesterday. We have tile floors throughout our home, but stores that sell exercise equipment also sell pads deisgned specifically for them. It was less than $100 for the pad.

• Zoe52
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi thanks for your response. Unfortunately, it would be very easy if he only had one piece of equipment. He owns a whole gym : Stairmaster, Treadmill, Rowing Machine, Elliptical, and Recline Bike Along with weights. And, yes, he uses all of them. He is an exercise fanatic who exercises 2 -3 hours daily. So you can see where I want to protect the whole floor!

• reverse
    16 years ago

If he has mainly machines and doesn't do any serious weight with dumbells (100lbs+) and such where he would drop them, a nice thick rubber floor would work well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rubber floors for gyms and equipment

• reverse
    16 years ago

Forgot to answer your other questions...

I would go with rubber instead of carpet, you can always resell the rubber mat if needed and would be easier to take up when needed (no carpet tack strips). Shouldn't need to worry about getting water on the rubber mat to where as the carpet would soak through.

I would probably have the floor finished no matter what as it helps protect the wood. Plus it will be one less thing you have to deal with when and if you ever take the floor up.

• steve_o
    16 years ago

Keep in mind that most rubber flooring is affected adversely by greases and oils -- including body oil/sweat. Not that you can't use it -- but you will need to clean up fairly quickly if someone hits the floor or uses it as an exercise surface.

• oruboris
    16 years ago

I'm using this stuff:
    {{gwi:1459515}}

Somewhere between carpet and rubber matting, made from recycled tires. Anti-slip, can even be used outdoors and around swimming pools.

Available here[along with a ton of other rubber floor materials]:

Here is a link that might be useful: flexco

• Zoe52
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for all your helpful suggestions! I will go ahead and have the floor finished and get one of the rubber surfaces above. I know he sweats a lot so we will have to keep the surface clean. You guys are the best!