Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paint_chips

Are these a sham? Salt rock lamps

paint_chips
14 years ago

Has anyone tried these? They are supposed to release negative ions into the air to give you a happy/balanced feeling while purifying the air. If true, I would like to put one in the bedroom and maybe in the living room where we hang out.

If you have tried these, do you recommend them?

Do you feel physically better? Does your air feel healthier?

Does it get hot?

I have seen lots of beautiful geodes resting on tables in home decor mags and always thought THOSE were the lamps. Today I went to look them up and was disappointed to see that they are weird orange blobby shaped things. Is yours funky orange or did you find it in a less offensive color? Prettier colors/ more natural looking would be good! :OD

Normally I would dismiss this as too good to be true, but I am a bit conflicted because I believe in a lot of healthy home concepts. Googling brings up lots of great things being said about them... all by stores that sell them.

This is one of those crazy things I have always been curious about, but have never known an actual salt rock lamp owner to ask. If they don't work, I don't want it sucking energy in my home.

Thanks!

:OD

Comments (6)

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

"They will give relief from hay fever, sinus problems, allergies, asthma attacks and increase alertness."

I googled the lamps, they are in abundance on many sites, including
    www.saltlampforless.com , who claim the above.

I personally never believe the miraculous claims on those sites, but that's just me, always sceptical. I believe people think positive thoughts looking at the symbolic item, hence the renewed energy they might experience.

Real life testimonial is what we need, lol......

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

"Normally I would dismiss this as too good to be true."

You know what they say about "too good to be true".

There is absolutely NO SCIENCE to support their claims. You can't cheat physics, as I always say.

• threedgrad
    14 years ago

Why not try having a bowl of sea salt laying around and see if that works? To me, feeling happier was to be somewhere where there was abundant sunshine. The clouds and cold and snow always made me depressed. The sunshine and blue skies here in AZ put a smile on my face. The birds singing, the mountain views, all add to happiness.

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

One of the agents in the RE office where I work has one of these (which I have seen sold in a grocery store here). While I like the look of it, I think that you can take any health claims with a grain of salt ;)

• paint_chips
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for bringing me back down to earth. I guess I just needed to hear other people confirm my doubts.

I have been in the market for an air purifier and heard that a rock could do it for me. LOL, saying it like that, I guess it does sound silly. I read one site that said you only had to clean the surface weekly (because it would attract all the dust in the air).

:O/ I'm feeling rather silly for asking.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Don't feel silly for asking. Sometimes those Kirby salesmen/Bergere Lamp websites/herbal weight loss emails/Mary Kay seminars/ect can be really convincing if they catch one in the right frame of mind. If they were not, they would not be in business long. They always catch a few fish.

Better to ask on an anonymous board than to bring it up at work. You are safe here. You will be protected from that Amway guy's pitch and you will never refinance your loan with junk bonds.

I have found through experience that it is always better to ask when in doubt.