Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frankginakay

vhs to dvd

frankginakay
10 years ago

Has anyone had any good experience with a company that transfers your old VHS videos to DVD? We also have several of the mini camcorder tapes. Thanks!

Comments (6)

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

I have the same issue. In looking at transfer it is far too expensive. I am not paying 20 bucks a tape to do this.

Are you technically savy? There are transfer software programs available. You need your old VCR and the mini tape unit for it, plus a cable. Run a search on the net for transferring. There are some very good examples and steps for doing so.

I didn't look up using a tape to DVD unit, but could copy this way also. Which is the way I am going to attempt. These would be old units, hard to find. Perhaps a pawn shop. Although Amazon had my mini tape unit for 8. And there are still tape to DVD units on their site, just more than I thought they would cost. The cost of all would depend on whether you wanted to do it yourself or have a business do so.

If anyone else has a slick way to do this, specifically direct to the computer...would like to know also. There are mini cams using the small tapes again which transfer directly, but do not know if they would use the old ones or are the same.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

I had our family movies transferred from film to VHS and then to DVDs. I am very pleased with the result of the DVDs.

When I had them transferred to VHS the local company added some stupid background music that really irritated me. Remember, these started out as 8mm and 16 mm film with no sound. I asked the DVD to please delete the music and they did.

I sent them to a company called ScanDigital. I had a Groupon for them. It did take a few weeks for them to do it, but that was fine with me. The movies are precious to me so I was holding my breath to see how it would work out, but everything went smoothly and I got all my VHS tapes back, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scan Digital

• chickadee2_gw
    10 years ago

I received a Groupon type offer from Amazon in an email today. I don't know anything about the company.

Here is a link that might be useful: VHS to DVD

• camlan
    10 years ago

If you still have a camcorder or VHS player, you can buy a VHS to DVD converter for about $70. This will allow you to record the VHS tape to your computer, then burn it to a DVD. Just google "VHS to DVD converter." Amazon and Best Buy sell them, along with many other stores.

We've had several of our old family Super 8 movies (what they used before video cameras) converted to DVD. We went with a local photography store that offered the service. We've used them for other things, like copying old family portraits so that we could all have a copy and they've always done excellent work. So I'd ask around and see if any local places offer this service.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

My SIL just had a reel of family movies (from 1962-63) converted to DVD at a local camera place, although they don't do it in-house, they send it out to another company. It was $72 and a 2nd copy was $20. My husband suggested she save the money and only do one DVD. If he wants to see it, he'll view hers.

She wants to do all their movies but since they have 16 reels she plans to do it when the camera store runs special deals.

ETA:
    My sister just told me Costco does it for a lot less (maybe $30?) and they currently have a coupon out to further reduce the cost.

This post was edited by hhireno on Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 14:59

• frankginakay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for all the great ideas!