Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Old Lotions and Body Sprays

User
14 years ago

Anyone else have a ton sitting on a shelf somewhere?

I was in a serious clean out mode tonight and went through and purged a bunch of my "stuff". Clothes, old nail polish, etc. Got to my box of lotions and body sprays (yeah they're literally in box on the one closet floor. Shows how much I use them.) and after digging around decided I was done for the night.

Some of are years old. Most are from Bath and Body Works and VS. I just have too many to use. The body sprays have a better chance than the lotions. I have my fav. perfumes that I wear on a regular basis. I don't think the lotions do much for moisturizing and honestly once on the smells usually start to gag me after awhile. Don't even get me started on shower gels. I use Dove soap, the original white bar, and that's it. Never been a fan of gels.

About a year ago I got rid of a large bag and gave them to DH's cousin. I just don't know what to do with them. I can't seem to bring myself to throw them out. Some of the labels on the bottles are dingy but the lotion still looks fine. I also can't bring myself to throw them in the thrift store bag. Do they even carry that in the those stores? I would never buy someones used lotion. I guess it shouldn't be gross if it's still in the bottle but I don't know how old it is etc. Ew.

Seems to be the generic quick gift. At least where I live. A candle or some lotion or spray. I know it's the thought that counts.

I have a bunch of little ones I could regift but I don't know anyone who actually uses that stuff anymore. I did love it in high school and even my early 20s. Plus, if I hate the scent I can't bring myself to give it to someone else (unless I know they like it). Moonlit Path from Bath and Body is one example. The stuff just gags me.

So what do you do?

Comments (21)

• natal
    14 years ago

Toss!!!

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

They're stressful. Just throw 'em out and worry about something more worthwhile : )

• golddust
    14 years ago

Toss while singing "Pleeeze.... release meee......, let me goooah....!"

I use the white Dove soap and don't own any perfume. Even my under arm is perfume free. My lotions are perfume free. DH is severely allergic to perfumes. Seriously, one whiff and he can hardly breathe. If women only knew some people's misery, we'd outlaw the stuff. LOL!

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Haha well now. Am I really the only one that holds on to them? I shall toss! :)

• funkyart
    14 years ago

I just gave a bunch of sprays to my niece today-- yes, moonlit path was one of them LOL. Ick. I'd give them to a young girl if you know one. They are expensive for a 16 yo and yet they love them.

I am also a white dove girl-- the only scent I like from bath and body works is the juniper berry .. and an old one they no longer make, Garden Mint. The only scent I wear now is lavender baby powder.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

I hate seeings perfectly good things end up in a landfill. Donate them to a homeless shelter.

• graywings123
    14 years ago

Try giving them away on your local freecycle.org.

You can't do much about gifts, but I don't allow myself to buy products until the ones I have are used up.

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

I used to have tons of products also; I've been pretty good at using up what I have and not give in to the temptation of buying anything new till I'm done with the others. Unless I begin to hate some scents, then they get tossed.

I've also snipped off the end of tubes and containers in order to get the last bit of product stuck in there; it irks me to leave it there. I'll even cut off plastic bottles with a serrated knife, then put them in ziplok bags until I've used them all up, scraping the sides with a knife if I have to, specially the expensive ones.

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

If you have any Honeysuckle, I'll take it.

The rest, I'd rather see you try to give it to someone then to throw it out.

One of my son's friends works at a home, she takes my stuff, brings it in, people take it.

• deborahnj
    14 years ago

Shee you may or may not know but I work for BBW and VS and I can personally tell you the lotions and body sprays break down after a few years. So if you have the time, I would test them and the ones that don't give off a funky smell or look funny I would donate. The rest I would toss.

FYI to everyone, unless you buy really really expensive perfume, most of this stuff does break down in composition so it is not worth the money to buy in bulk and save over the years.

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

graywings, I pick up the pennies for luck !!! I don't consider myself thrifty or frugal but I do like to get what I paid for ; I also don't stockpile.

• nicoletouk
    14 years ago

Like you, I would never use a strangers used lotions. But you would be amazed at how many people will!

Last year I had a garage sale, and in preparing for the sale I did a little on-line research. One thing I rerad was that people love to buy cosmetics at tag sales - ew! But I went to my mom's house (she is a make-up junkie) and gathered up a lot of USED makeup and nail polish. It all sold the first day! So the second day I brought out a bunch of lotions, or shampoos I didn't like, and even some half-empty bottle of fragrance. Again, it flew out of here.

All of this is a long way of saying to go ahead and donate your lotions to a shelter or the Salvation Army. It most definitely will be used and appreciated.

Nicole

• groomingal
    14 years ago

Check ebay before you toss it. I was getting rid of some VS that I no longer used, it was a discontinued scent. I sold 2 bottles of body spray and a couple bottles of lotion for almost $100.

Like deborahnj suggested about them breaking down- I did notice some of the other scents smelled off and those were tossed but either I gave the other scents to people I knew that wore them or I sold them on ebay.

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

Groomingal, I still might list on ebay depending on what it is. The scents that are discontinued, you say they don't smell like they should, people will buy them anyway.

With the scent I wear, I'm used to how it smells when it's sat for years. It's still smells closer to what I like, and would rather wear it then not wearing anything.

• groomingal
    14 years ago

If they smelled off I tossed them in the trash- it was mainly fruity smelling scents.
    The ones I put on ebay still smelled as they should- but if some of the bottles were used they still sold quickly.

I have a scent that smells better when it has been sitting- it is from the Tova line- it seems to have a richer scent after a couple of years.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Shee, the ones that look funny, are very old, or gag you with their scent -- just toss out. Even if someone does use them, the ones that stink will probably be bothering their friends, family, and co-workers. Have you ever been stuck sitting next to someone who has too much fragrance on or something that smells really cheap or bad to you? It literally can make others ill. I actually get migraines from odors like that, even if it's quality stuff or a fragrance I like.

Supposedly products start to break down after only a year. Maybe unopened ones are safer, but the opened ones have been contaminated and probably harbor bacteria, as well as whatever breaking down occurs.

I know, it's very hard to do but the world really doesn't need them, lol.

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

If you worry about landfills, wash the contents down the drain and recycle the bottles.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Pouring the contents down the sink just contaminates our drinking water. The less chemicals poured into water the better.

A lot of containers cannot be recycled. Glass perfume bottles with metal pumps for instance.

As mentioned before people will buy secondhand products. If they are donated to be used by those who have nothing, all the better.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Roselver - I don't have any Honeysuckle. Don't think I ever smelled that one.

I went through and tossed the ones that were 8+ years old. I'll try and find someone who can use the others. I just can't bring myself to throw them out if they're new or almost new.

Did want to clarify I haven't been adding to the collection. They've been gifts from other people. Couldn't tell you the last time I bought any of the above.

I have had people tell me they go fast at yard sales which still amazes me. I had one yard sale ever and I swore never again. It wasn't worth it.

About 10 years ago BBW used to have a glitter lotion (was in the kid section) called Berry Go Round. Yum, yum, yum I love the smell of that stuff. I have a little in the bottle and won't chuck it because it smells so awesome.

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

I need to throw out tons of finger nail polish myself that I keep in a tin, all dried up. (eck)