Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Healthy check-in

Sueb20
9 years ago

Now that summer is over, how's everyone doing with their healthy eating and exercise? I know we had these regular check-ins for a while and I don't think we've had one lately.

I cut down on processed carbs significantly last fall, with some ups and downs in staying on track, but even with the occasional lapses into bad behavior, it has had a significant impact on at least one area. I had my annual physical the other day, and since March, my big cholesterol number has gone from 255 to 205! And my other cholesterol numbers are right in the middle of the desirable range. My doctor was quite impressed, as she had been planning to put me on meds at this appointment.

My BP has also been consistently low. I have been on a low dose of BP meds since last year, but the numbers were still hovering in the 130/90 range. The last two times I've had it checked, it has been more like 128/75.

Weight loss is another story but I have recently joined a new exercise facility with small-group personal training, and it is kicking my butt.

I had hoped to lose 10 lbs. before I turn 50, but I have really lost only 2-3 lbs. (after losing 6-7 last year then being lazy all summer) and I don't think I'm going to lose 7-8 more by this Sat., when the big birthday hits!

Comments (5)

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Keep on truckin and have a great birthday bash!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Sue, it's great you've reduced your 'numbers' so significantly. Keep on going with the work-outs. You'll get there with the fitness (notice I did NOT say weight loss as I don't think that number is such an important number). And have a wonderful birthday!!

I'm still running, and doing pilates. I was also doing gluten-free for a while, but I lapsed on many an occasion so I just try to stick to it when I can, but if it's just not possible, I don't stress over it. Summer is always easy for me with all my favorite fresh vegetables and fruits available and my garden right outside my door. I really hate to see that part of it end.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Thanks for starting this thread, Sue. My weight is also not where I want it to be, but still below my highest range,so I will just keep working at it.

Has my annual mamo and bone density. Bone density could be better and I will make an effort to take my calcium twice a day

I'm scheduled for my brain MRI next month, and hopefully it will be clear.

I am doing my stationary bike, walking and weight trying class once a week. I wish they would offer this class more than once a week with this instructor.

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

Hmmm. My weight is too high. My cholesterol is too high. My NP wanted to start me on medication and come back for a HgbA1C (to check long term blood sugar basically) even though my FBS was normal.

I told her I was going to do diet and exercise first. Ha.

Then I got Frozen Shoulder in my left shoulder. I have been going to PT for one month with minimal progress. Getting old is a PIA.

As soon as this is resolved I WILL join you guys.

I have to get healthier.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Hello Healthy Friends,
    Thanks for remembering to start this Sue. I have a looser grip than normal on the day and date so the beginning of the month just snuck on by me.

Good for you improving your cholesterol numbers! It's great when that can be accomplished without pharmaceuticals. It is hard not to focus on the scale number. As that little blond Disney character sings "let it go!" Focus on how things fit and how you feel. You can't completely ignore the scale, because it does serve some purpose, but sometimes those last few pounds don't matter as much as we think they do. It's just one piece of data used for assessment of your health. Happy birthday to you! You'll be dancing the calories away this weekend!

Ellendi, if it's not the instructor's choice to limit them then mention to every employee how great it would be to have additional sessions. And get many other people to mention it also. Create some buzz about the class and maybe the gym will increase the schedule.

I'm doing my usual gym stuff but have added an hour bike ride many days a week. I want to find a stretching, or maybe yoga, class. In an effort to improve my brain, I'm working on learning German. Es ist schwer. My niece and nephew will be visiting soon and I always lose 3-5 pounds during their visits. It doesn't make sense since I eat and drink more (big family meals, treats like cookies and cupcakes) but I guess I'm also more active. It's not as though I'm not active normally so I don't know why it happens. But it does and I'm grateful. Grateful to spend time with them and the rest of the family. Grateful for the fun and the food. Grateful my Mum is still healthy and is creating memories with them.