Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mailynn_gw

Is Shaker beige a lighter version of Lenox Tan. Both on same stri

mailynn
15 years ago

Hi

I found a sample pot of Lenox Tan and although it looks okay in the daylight, it is off in the night. Shaker beige is on the same color strip so I was wondering if it is the same tone as Lenox only lighter.

My porcelain tiles look green at times and brownish at others. I am trying to reach a compromise.

My kitchen is small but has a large southeast facing window, The dining room which is open to the kitchen has a large window and is west facing.

Thanks for listening and helping

Mai Lynn aka Linda

Comments (8)

• emmachas_gw Shaffer
    15 years ago

mailynn,
    I asked BM the same question about the next color on the strip. Their answer was, "No."
    If I wanted the same tone in a lighter shade, they would mix a sample of the original color cut with white at 25% or 50%.
    If that's the case, then perhaps your Shaker Beige is a different tone.

• dawn_t
    15 years ago

I just painted my kitchen & dining room BM Lenox tan. I really like it - it's the "coffee with cream" color I was looking for. It definitely has a golden hue during the day and a slightly greenish cast at night, but it still works for me.

I wanted a lighter shade of the same color, for the windowless mudroom & hallway off of my kitchen. I painted it all BM Shaker beige last evening, as it was the next lighter color on the same strip.

I'm on the fence about the color. The Shaker beige IS a beautiful light tan color, but there is not enough of a light/dark contrast between it and the lenox tan - they sort of blend together when viewed from another room. In fact, the Shaker beige almost has a pinkish tone next to the Lenox tan.

Wishing now that I had the Lenox tan mixed at 50% but I was afraid the color would turn muddy.
    Has anyone done this? Are you happy with the 25 - 50% reduction of your color?

Dawn, who is SO tired of painting and repainting!

• lindabarbara
    15 years ago

I have an upstairs sitting area that is painted Shaker Beige. The room has one average size window but it also has a large skylight. In my lighting, Shaker Beige is definitely a beige but with a gold tone...I love it. It's beige with a lot of warmth. Our woodwork is painted in BM Dove White.

The adjacent room is painted in Muslim, which is also a pretty beige without the gold tone. After reading the above posts, it just goes to show how paint can so vastly differ in different locations and in different light.

• cathrugg
    15 years ago

Hi Mailynn,

You and I have had the same issues for years. :o) Our honey oak trim and cabinets just make it impossible.

I can tell you, I have Shaker Beige in my kitchen, hallway and along the front wall of my living room/dining room and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

The Lenox Tan was nice but totally clashed with the orangey wood color.

Hope this helps!
    Cathrugg

• radaar
    15 years ago

This is how it works in Canada with the BM fan deck so I'm not sure if the same applies to the US version. I know your colours have different names but possibly the decks are set up the same.

Colours next to each other for the Historicals,Designer Classics & Off-white collections are not necessarily lighter or darker versions of each other. They ARE in the colour preview collection though. Don't know if that helps you much but it has helped me a few times.

• mailynn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi

thanks for the responses. Since then, I have looked at Putnam Ivory which is on the same strip as Decatur Buff ( my LR/FR color ) and Mystic Gold ( upper wall in front foyer ). Not sure if I prefer it over the shaker beige though

cathrugg::: I've seen your kitchen many times whne you were deciding on your counter top and your lighting. Didn't you initially paint your kitchen SW blonde. I'd love to see your kitchen now in the Shaker beige. Does it ever take on a pink cast. I have Lenox tan sample swatch and next to Lenox, shaker beige looks pink.

Thanks
    Linda ( aka MaiLynn)

• cathrugg
    15 years ago

Hi Mailynn,

Our kitchen was SW Blonde for a whole year while I tried to get used to it. I hated it the whole time!! It was so yellow in my kitchen. But when I saw it in everyone else's houses here, I was so in love with it.

Now the kitchen is Shaker Beige and I love it. No pink undertones, no green undertones, NO undertones.

I don't have any pics yet of this color but I will check my camera batteries tonight and see what I can get for you!!

Cathrugg.