Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kdarrigo

What color would look best in this kitchen?

kdarrigo
15 years ago

Help, please! I am really confused about this...

My cabinets are med. maple with mocha glaze-the floors are brazilian teak. Granite is giallo renioir....backsplash a goldish travertine and we have browns/coppers in the glass tile=

here are some colors I had been looking at.. should i steer away from the browns or golds? would it be too much?

they are some colors i have been considering, however lately i have been thinking about maybe doing a green instead??? (however my dining room is a SW shade of green-but the kitchen is NOT open to DR)....you can see the DR from our kitchen though... what do you think?

view from kitchen

other wall to be painted

my kitchen

or would you do the travertine backsplash continued above the cabinets?

this is also part of my kitchen- a 'keeping room' with fireplace and high ceiling. right now it's painted camel tan, however i want to change the color. I want this wall to be an accent wall....so a different color than the rest of the kitchen.

A friend of mine recommended a deep shade of brown- but do you think it would be too dark? i have 5 windows and french doors in my kitchen/keeping room.

Help me plz decide on colors!!!

Thanks

Comments (13)

• redbazel
    15 years ago

Your kitchen is absolutely lovely and so is your hearth area. I do love the idea of brown, but maybe not too dark, on the hearth wall. Something the shade of coffee, light cream, maybe......not quite as light as a latte. For the kitchen, something heading into copper? I kind of like the chip on top, next to the cabinet, but it's hard to tell on my laptop monitor. What color is that?

I love greens, and a green would look great with all your cabinetry and your fireplace. But you might end up like me, with a shade of green everywhere! What paint brands are you mostly getting your chips from?

Red

• marybeth1
    15 years ago

I think a nice Sage Green would look nice. I have BM Saybrook Sage in my Dining Room and LR I love it. It might be too cool of a green for you but I think a warm sage green would look lovely but I love green.

• kdarrigo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks-the chip up by the cabinet is called molasses, from lowes (eddie bauer i believe). but i think it's too gold in the daylight. i have two colors up on the wall now, (corkboard and patina) i am going to take another pic....if i do the green color (EB-Patina) i will do the Laura ashley old gold on the fireplace wall. If I do the deep gold/brown (eddie bauer corkboard) i am going to do patina on the fireplace wall.
    Ok...be back in a min

• User
    15 years ago

Wow, what a nice kitchen! The whole room has a very comfortable warm feel to it. I think the browns will weight the room down instead of enhancing the nice features of the room. There are a lot of really great colors you could use, a lot of people use green and it's a safe choice, it would look really nice, but I would love to see something a little bit more surprising like a soft gold.

• kdarrigo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok please help!!! i think it will be between eddie bauer corkboard (brown/gold) or Eddie B Patina (green)

if i do green in the kitchen-the fireplace wall will be in Old Gold 5 (pictured with the green here-paint chip)-what about that combo?

if i do corkboard in the kitchen-the fireplace wall will be in the Patina(green).

here are old gold 5, patina, and corkboard

• whistles
    15 years ago

You know...a dusky blue/gray would be subtle and make the woodwork/counters in your kitchen pop. Gray is a difficult color to work with...but if you find the right one it could look beautiful!

• furletcity
    15 years ago

Your kitchen has such wonderful, warm tones! I agree with whistles that a cooler color would contrast nicely. The fireplace wall would look great in a darker, warmer color, similar to how your current color looks in the first pic of that wall. I'm sure whatever you choose will look great as your space is already so well done!

• kdarrigo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

wow i did not even think of the blues!! can you give me examples of colors?!

• anncarolyn
    15 years ago

Kerry331,
    Your kitchen is beautiful! Could you tell me the brand etc. of your pendants over the island? I love them!

• kdarrigo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

anncarolyn- thanks!!!
    i got them from lowes---almost 5 yrs ago...not sure what brand--but they had lots of lighting in that style..

dining room

• mistybear11
    15 years ago

You have one of the most gorgeous kitchens I have seen. I think I am a lover of wooden floors.
    Since I am a real risk taker when it comes to colour, I instantly pictured the colour of your counter stools. A real dark steel colour. It would also look amazing on the hearth wall. Plus it would make the dark accent tiles and the hardware pull together.

Linda

• kdarrigo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Linda!!!
    My husband is painting right now!! It looks awesome--a rich brown, Eddie Bauer corkboard--OMG, it looks amazing so far (first coat), i had knots in my stomach about this color all day- i was so unsure. WOW... I will be sure to post pics when it is done--we also decided to do the travertine backsplash above the cabinets, so it looks like the whole wall is 'bricked'..
    thanks for all your help!

• cg16
    15 years ago

how is the kitchen coming along? I'm very anxious to see the finished product!

Thanks!

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer