Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengrl_gw

Need Transformer/Bulb Help for Mid-Century Chandelier (pics)

gardengrl
9 years ago

I found this Italian beauty on Craigslist. The owner never installed it, but said it worked in the showroom when she bought it.

The transformer and chandelier combined weigh a ton! The transformer alone probably weighs a couple of pounds by itself and almost as much as the chandelier.

So, a couple of questions, we would like to hang this without the transformer; however, finding higher voltage bulbs could be difficult. My husband measured the 2-pin base (center-to-center) of the old, low voltage bubs at 5 mm. I've only looked at bulbs at the Bulb Town website so far with no luck...the closest I found was a G 5.3 at 120v.

We could hang it with the transformer, but are concerned about its age and safety, not to mention we would have to install a reinforced electrical box in the ceiling due to the weight (I think?). What is the weight limit for average ceiling light electrical boxes?

Is there a more modern transformer that we could use or even better, could we rewire this chandelier to be used for modern 120v wiring?

What would you do?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz