Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claire_de_luna

I am looking for a small sectional...

claire_de_luna
12 years ago

...and would rather have a root canal. I've bought many sofas over the years and know what I need, although I'm having trouble finding it in a quality I can live with. This isn't fun to me; instead it qualifies as real work, and I don't find I'm happy with most of what I'm finding.

What I'm looking for is a leather sectional at right angles with a track arm. I need a firm seat cushion (high density), like an attached cushion back (that can be restuffed when the time comes). The need is to seat four at a time, (along with a corner seat) for equality of seating in a small room. Preferably, the cushions would be squared, so I can switch them around if one looks like it is getting more wear because someone likes a certain seat.

I have a maximum of 90 inches, and am finding very little in stores I can actually sit on. My husband is tall and I am not, so the Goldilocks moment hasn't happened. I think it's more important that the seating be a bit taller, like around 21 inches, since an ottoman would take care of my issues. Oh, and just to make it more interesting, I prefer a double stitched seat as opposed to welting.

I've been to every furniture store in town, including Nebraska Furniture Mart, and no one has anything, except Penneys, which has a light colored, faux leather (probably made in China) that is exactly the right size, which is the best thing about it. I was hoping for a more long-term solution however!

Can any of you decorating divas lead me to a place that would help keep me from tearing my hair out?

Comments (10)

• suero
    12 years ago

Try Stickley. You can customize the sectional in many ways, and I think that at least one of the options will satisfy you. The standard size with a track arm or club arm is 91", but you can get the sofa to the inch. Not cheap, but that wasn't one of your qualifications.

Seat height is 22 1/2", depth is 36".

Here is a link that might be useful: Stickley sectional catalog

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

Check out American Leather. When I was looking for a small sectional, they were the only brand I found at the time where I could configure a small enough sectional. You didn't mention what your budget is like -- these aren't inexpensive, but I have one of their sectionals, and one regular sofa, in their ultrasuede and I love them!

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

We have a small sectional from Stylus, a made to order sofa company. It's probably about 10 years old now and the cushions are still very firm.

• czarinalex
    12 years ago

I laughed when I read your post... this was me all last winter. I gave up and bought the 'bonded leather' sectional from JCP last June. It was exactly the size I was looking for, the color was neutral and the price was certainly right. Got a great deal with a 25% off their sale price coupon.
    The good news is... it still looks and feels great 6 months later! :-) 6 years later... I don't think so.
    I was not looking to buy a piece to last 20 years and it won't. But for now.. it looks good, is comfortable, my room is finished and I can do other things besides travel the countryside looking at sectionals!

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Try Younger Furniture. They are made in NC. I love their sectionals. I was able to try them out at a local store. If we didn't get a vintage sofa, we would have bought one of theirs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Younger Sectionals

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank You everyone. I'll look at Stickley tomorrow, although I have looked in this same store before and not had any luck. My room can't be made bigger by even an inch, which is the problem I'm having. American Leather is an option, but the price for what I'm looking at made keeping the chair (that's awkward) seem like a viable solution, since I would also need an ottoman or place for feet. Leathercraft has a reclining loveseat, which might give me room for two and no ottoman, but no one has anything we can sit in which is a problem. Seriously! (If we were close to the same height, it wouldn't be so hard.) Marisa, I would have gone this route just to be done with it, but DH's knees came up so high when he sat on the sofa, I could see it wouldn't work for him at all. (We've had one that was too low; never again.) I appreciate the other suggestions, but if I can't sit in it or look physically at the fit/finish, it's not going to work for me.

It feels like I'm back to where I started, although I'll keep looking. I'm hating this entire process more than I can say.

• always1stepbehind
    12 years ago

Have you checked online at JCPenney. The possibilities sectional in leather comes in different grades of leather and in different sizes too. You may find one small enough to fit your needs.

• lascatx
    12 years ago

Was wondering if you found something. We have a 9-10 year old sectional that is perfect for our room and family, recliners, chaise and all. No one wants to give up anything, and everything I see now is so much larger. We don't have to do anything right now, but if I did, the best I've found would be a pair of 2 cushion love seats or small sofas that each have 2 recliners. That would take care of the people, but the dogs aren't going to be happy when there are more than 2 people sitting. :D