Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajard

If you use latch hardware, must it be on all upper cabinets?

14 years ago

I really want to use the latch hardware in my soon to be white kitchen.. but I dont really want it on ALL the cabinets around my L + Peninsula.. I was thinking of only putting it on my two glass cabinets on each side of my window at the sink and on the opposite side of the room on cabinets over a desk. MY KD said to use it on all uppers or just the two glass cabinets. Has anyone mixed and matched them on upper cabinets?

Comments (8)

• 14 years ago

If you have a way of making sense of your changes, the hardware needn't match. You have a rule: Glass fonts, and desk. That actually helps set apart the desk cabinets as part of the desk, rather than part of the rest.

Works for me!

But it's also worth buying extras of each and auditioning them before the holes are drilled. Most places let you return the unopened ones. Or better yet, keep them for when something untoward happens and you have to replace something.

• 14 years ago

Yes, I have mixed latches and knobs on my uppers. In my galley style kitchen, there is a bank of uppers on my sink wall where the single door end cabs have latches while the double door middle cabs have knobs. On the opposite wall, the upper cabs have double doors with latches except for those that on that same wall which are above the fridge; those doors have knobs. I ditto Pllog when she says that "it works" as well as on the advice to try out the mixed hardware look before drilling holes to see if it works for you.

• 14 years ago

Thanks.. so lets say I do that with the latches.. put knobs on the rest of the uppers.. I plan to use cups for all drawers. Do I need to use those knobs on the lowers or can I switch to pulls on lowers and cups on drawers... KD thinks too busy

• 14 years ago

All my hardware is very streamlined and in satin nickel:

Asbury knobs by RH

Ephram pulls by RH

And icebox latches by Merit Metal:

{{!gwi}}

Here's all 3 types of hardware together:

The fridge pulls are from Hamilton Decorative.

• 14 years ago

I only have latches on some of my cabinetry and I think it looks fine.

Kat :)

• 14 years ago

More than likely, no one will notice what you've used for hardware. Think for a moment of every kitchen you've been in since you started thinking Remodel. What is the hardware on every door/drawer they have? Can't remember? Maybe if you sat at their table to drink coffee for an hour you would study the hardware. Otherwise, probably not. It's the over all look that's important, not the individual items used to make the look. I'm stressing over each of these decisions myself and I have to remind myself that it's everything together that will make the room.

• 14 years ago

I put latches on my uppermost (solid door) cabinets, knobs on my lower-uppers (glass), and cup pulls on my below counter drawers. Two solid doors (below sink) got knobs, and one solid cabinet that wasn't on the top 'row' got a latch. It all blends wonderfully and i'm so glad I used 3 types. Adds a little interest. I think if you find some kind of logic to it, it works. I had a tough time seeing the 'forest for the trees'. Sorry for the cliche. I was so worried about each little piece but in the end it all pulls together and makes sense.

• 14 years ago

THank you for all the input...