Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannine

Waterford/Wedgewood is BANKRUPT!!!

Jeannine
15 years ago

I'm in total SHOCK. Waterford is like gold in my family. Not exactly revered, but cherished and passed down from mothers to daughters for generations. I treasure mine and though my grandmother and great grandmother are long gone, my Waterford reminds me of them, as there was always a Waterford candy dish on the coffee table and stemware on the table when we visited them.

What does this mean? Are we so Pottery Barn-ized now that we don't appreciate this wonderful crystal? Are engaged couples so eager to use the registry gun at Crate & Barrel that they forgo registering for china and crystal?

I'm so sad. The major of Waterford called the news "a national disaster". It could also be seen as tragic from an arts standpoint...at least that's how I see it.

Sorry if I seem overly dramatic. I'm kind of shocked right now.

Does anyone know what this means? The news stories I've seen have basically said "it's over". Will Waterford become more expensive? More rare?

Comments (67)

• Jeannine
    Original Author
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

They didn't file Chapter 11...they're not an American company. The article I linked to includes the technical information. They have different terms in the UK for the procedure.

I don't think you'll be screwed if you break a Lismore stem in the future. As the most popular pattern, there will always be Lismore stems available at places like replacements.com...you'll just have to pay a premium for them.

Lismore is the pattern that was handed down from my great grandmother to my grandmother to my mother. I picked Kelsey as my pattern knowing that it would go with the Lismore that I'll inherit some day and because Kelsey only has 4 shapes (water, wine, iced, champagne) and the Lismore serving pieces with work with it.

In my reading, I found that Waterford actually closed 100 years into its life and reemerged much later. It will probably come back.

Just an FYI, my aunt found a guy in New Jersey named Bill Healey who used to work for Waterford. He struck it out on his own to be more creative. A lot of his stuff incorporates the same techniques he learned at Waterford. I could see Irish cutters doing the same if Waterford completely leaves Ireland.

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

Well, the company is in Ireland so the law of bankruptcy there may be different than here. There is no chapter 11 exactly.

The uk story says that the union is willing to work with potential buyers. I hope they do not move to China - there goes the quality. Waterford is hand cut crystal - you don't find that many talented people who know how to do this.

• mbarstow
    15 years ago

Good Lord, I must be living under a rock--this is news to me. I also have Waterford from the 1970's when I got married. You HAD to let everyone know what your china, crystal and sterling patterns were. I might only use it two or three times a year, but love it. I even collect the Royal Doulton "ballgown lady" figurines that go back to the 60's and 70's. I bought a lot of my crystal in Ireland and I wouldn't dare tell you all how inexpensive it was then.

• flyingflower
    15 years ago

How many Irish companies are that world known? It would be like losing a national treasure to them, they can't let this happen. I am keeping the faith, they will come out of this!

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

The companies are in receivership. Wedgwood has been struggling for more than a few years.

Here is a link that might be useful: Financial Times

• jerseygirl_1
    15 years ago

Sounds like a GM situation "Union". Union benefits are costly.

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

Remember the Titanic was built in Ireland - well, Northern Ireland, Belfast to be exact.

Yes, Waterford is very important to Ireland but Hewlett Packard and a lot of tech companies are in Ireland now as well.

I really hope that someone in Ireland buys out the company and maybe sells off some of the side companies.

• greenthumbfish
    15 years ago

Wow, I feel very fortunate to have toured the Waterford Factory in Ireland several years ago!

I don't have a "collection", but do have a few pieces... this is such sad news.

• zeebee
    15 years ago

I'm not a Waterford collector but I cherish my Wedgwood wedding china and my mother has several china sets, from her family and my dad's family. Hopefully there is a buyer out there who will buy the companies.

• Oakley
    15 years ago

Is Royal Doulton going to be effected by this? I collect The Pretty Ladies which began in 1917 or close to it.

I did want to comment on young people not registering for good china, etc. They do. Well, at least the young people I know. But Waterford is so expensive it's usually the parents (me) who end up buying it for them.

I can't fault newlyweds preferring nice everyday china before they receive a piece of Waterford. And truth be told, most young people don't develop a taste for fine china until they're older.

• spitfire_01
    15 years ago

Thank you Oakleyok. I was beginning to tire of the disdain for people who don't register for china!

I married very young. (Long story. I found the right guy and thought one less mouth to feed would help my parents.) No, I did not register for china. I thought it would be quite irresponsible to expect expensive china when I didn't know where I'd find college tuition. My line of thought was that I would buy my own when I was older *if* I needed it. Last year I purchased my mother's wedding china from my grandmother. (Yes, purchased. No gifts here.) I love it! It is such a nice, classy pattern. Nothing like the crazy pattern I would have selected in my youth! I'm so glad I waited.

My MIL talked me into selecting a crystal pattern. At the time, I didn't want any crystal. Not because I didn't like it, but because I knew it would sit in storage for years. (Gotta love those in-laws. They can't even pay for their only sons' books in college but they can buy all sorts of expensive dust-collectors.) To get her off my back, I picked out the cheapest crystal in the store. Of course, I received TONS of it. Every year my MIL would pile on more for Christmas presents. I don't even like it. Now that I'm older, I would much rather have 8-10 stems of something lovely than what I have. One day I may try to sell if although I'll probably have to give it away.

I did register for high-quality stainless. That was the best decision I made (other than picking my husband!)

Please give these young people credit for having a little more sense than you realize. Everyone's life is different.

Nin

• Jeannine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The registry comments I made were about some of the people I know now: late 20s and early 30s, college/grad school out of the way, both bride and groom have fully functioning homes (or are already living together in a fully outfitted home). I have a ton of friends like this. Some registered for china and crystal. Only one registered for sterling silver. Most register for measuring cups (or sheets or towels or cookie sheets) from Crate & Barrel when they already have measuring cups (or sheets or towels or cookie sheets).

Don't get me wrong. I like Crate & Barrel (and William Sonoma and Pottery Barn). However, I think fewer people are registering for formal items these days. Obviously, that is the case from what the articles are saying. The US was Waterford's #1 market and demand for their product has gone way down.

• western_pa_luann
    15 years ago

Well yeah, of course the demand is down.

People hold on to what their grandma and mom gave them, enshrine the pieces instead of using them and rarely buy anything themselves.
    So very little sales are generated there.

The young adults I know (and I know plenty as I have twenty-somethings myself) want practical items that get used. Not things to gather dust.
    So not many new sales there.

~LuAnn, who uses her crystal (and china too!) on a regular basis.

• wodka
    15 years ago

I hate to hear the news of them closing, too. When we were married, way back in 1971, we chose Waterford's "Kylemore" pattern, which has since been retired. It was a beautiful pattern, as all of Waterford's were, and then only cost $10 a stem. It was all lost when we were hit by Katrina, but would you believe a small Waterford frog and an even smaller Waterford angel both survived the storm's wrath?

• johnmari
    15 years ago

Are engaged couples so eager to use the registry gun at Crate & Barrel that they forgo registering for china and crystal? "

Heh. You would not BELIEVE the amount of BS we got from DH's family because we did not register for fancy china, crystal, and silver. Why would we register for something we have absolutely no use for since we do not care to entertain formally, then have to store it and lug it around every time we move, and that my family would have to gang together to buy one glass or teacup? We had a hard enough time with the fact that DH's family and mine were from totally different socioeconomic strata (his family = $$$$, my family = "you might be a redneck if..."). When we "entertain" it's chili or stew in hearty stoneware with beer or iced tea in pub glasses, because that's what my family and our friends are comfortable with.

We registered for everyday things like measuring cups even though we already had them because most of what we had was more suited to the trash bin than the kitchen drawer, and frankly we'd rather have another set of rubber spatulas than another d*** silver picture frame.

• magothyrivergirl
    15 years ago

Some young (30ish) people do appreciate the beauty, skill, artistry, etc of fine china and crystal. I think if they were exposed to it growing up, like anything else, where it was considered "special" they recognize its beauty. Whether they choose to buy / register/ or ask for it as gifts vs PB, C&B, the everyday stuff is a matter of choice. Waterford is on my children's lists each year, and it is a gift I give. I hope I can continue this tradition.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I didn't register for waterford because I don't like the stuff. We entertain formally (I see all entertaining as formal I guess) very very frequently (weekly) and I pull out all the stops because I love to. Versace china, hand blown glass, etc. But I wouldn't even consider waterford for my table. Heavy cut crystal isn't prefered for today's wines, and to many, it's too weighty looking...and I'd agree quality isn't what it was when it was hand cut.

Lighter crystal is still very popular on registries. I only buy waterford if I am looking for a replacement gift...So if they aren't producing something to appeal to the younger set (most find it far too formal) and they don't try to make things that a foody like me wants (or is that a winey LOL) then it's going to hurt their pocket book. You can't rely on old collectors alone to carry a business.

Now hand cut baccarat or even antique waterford...I'd consider paying for that, but not for stemware in the case of waterford...they're just no right for wine.

(History of thick wine glasses and colored stemware....wine used to be cloudy and had a lot of sediment, so thick glasses, and or colored glasses were the vogue to hide the "mess". Wine is made so much cleaner now that it's preferable to be able to see the color and the legs, which you just can't properly do in a thick or colored glass).

• mizmom
    15 years ago

This is an interesting thread. The news makes me very sad because I love all of my various Waterford pieces and would hate to see the company go under. One of the highlights of a recent trip to Ireland was the Waterford factory. I am so glad we spent the day (and alot of money)there. The prices were not much cheaper than here in the US but I did purchase some pieces that I have not seen here. And we had so much fun.

Back "in the day" post hippie era when I was married, I did register for china and crystal and flatware. At the time, the price of silver was skyrocketing so I registered for silverplate. What a mistake. It certainly is not much worth putting on the table now and I have taken good care of it. (If I am lucky, I may someday inherit my mothers sterling flatware.) At the time, I was advised to register for "what people could afford to give as wedding gifts" not what I truly loved. I did choose a very nice Noritake crystal pattern (not cut) which is probably more like the patterns popular now except not as large for the wines. It is OK but I do not love it. My dear MIL decided that I had chosen something much too expensive so she bought us an entire set of crystal to her liking. My dear father paid a visit to the local department store and fell in love with Waterford Lismore and started buying me and my sisters Waterford for our birthdays and Christmas. Low and behold....I suddenly had 3 sets of crystal to choose from! The Waterford has never been completed but that is by far my favorite. I hope to continue buying as long as I can. Styles do continue to change so that sales can continue to grow...with just about everything from clothing to tableware. I did purchase some very thin walled elegant Lismore balloon red wines and ports with very slender stems while at the factory. I would consider them very trendy today. They certainly take up alot more room in the china cabinet! They are very sparkley and make me smile.
    My oldest daughter (mid 20's)is getting married this summer. My advise to her (and she is planning to register for china, crystal and flatware) is to register for what she truly loves, but keep in mind that it may take 30 years to comlete a set. I have just finished purchasing (from Replacements) the last of my china and it WAS by no means an expensive pattern.... but NOW it is. Fortunately I have grown to love it also. But I still wish I had selected that Lenox pattern I was in love with at the time. I think that one is still in production for a cheaper price than the one I have been buying from Replacements.

One other interesting note: Every little town in Ireland seems to have it's own crystal blower and/or cutter. There are so many little mom and pop operations. They all seem to be former Waterford artisans and the patterns look strikingly similar to Waterford. Another lovely day was a visit to the Dingle penninsula....with a stop at the Dingle Crystal and sandwich shop! The owner is a Harley rider/chrystal cutter and his wife operates the small cafe in the same storefront. It is truly worth a visit.

• cricket3395
    15 years ago

My daughter is getting married this year and has no desire for china or crystal. Seems way too formal for her. I have china and crystal and rarely use it. I much prefer my pottery barn dishes. I guess it is just a matter of personal taste.

• polly929
    15 years ago

I actually have the Waterford Marquis wine glasses, it is not the heavy cut crystal and I use them often. Over the summer a few glasses were broken and I've had a hell of a time replacing them because no store has carried them. I ended up finding some at Homegoods in the fall and thought it was odd to find them there. My mother and grandmother were huge Waterford collectors, so sad to hear of this. I have an entire set of China I received from my mother in law as a wedding gift. I never completed the flatware, which was also waterford, now I probably never will. I'm really sad for the people in Ireland that work for the company.

• honeychild1
    15 years ago

I saw this today and was so sad and worried. I LOVE Waterford! Both my MIL and I have Lismore waters, wines, and iced teas; I have various other pieces too. My two favorite pieces are my chandliers (one in the master bedrom and one in the dining room).

Here's where the panic come in; I won two sconces on ebay and one of the arms gotten broken during our recent move. I searched on the internet and found a certified waterford replacement parts dealer and order the replacement arm two weeks before Christmas. A lady from the store called me one afternoon and said she had received my order and that they don't keep the item in stock, and they had placed an order from overseas. However, she said she could not give me a ship date...now I know why. Hopefully I'll get the arm and they'll get the company up and going again.

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

polly, Dillards has Waterford Marquis. I think you can order them online.

• western_pa_luann
    15 years ago

Don't feel sorry for the people in Ireland... not too many work there.
    If you need to feel sorry for someone, feel sorry for the Indonesians and Eastern Europeans.

Copied from the link below----
    "Much of the business has now shifted offshore, where it employs 5,800 people, including 1,500 people at a plant in Jakarta, Indonesia, which produces most of the company's ceramics. The majority of its crystal production has been handed to Eastern European subcontractors.

The company employs a work force just a third of that size at 1,900 in Britain, including around 600 in Stoke-on-Trent and 800 in Waterford."

Here is a link that might be useful: AP article

• Jeannine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The CBS news tonight reported that there are 3 buyers, all American, interested in taking the company on.

Let's hope there will be more Bill Healy types out there (ex-Waterford blowers/cutters setting up shop in the US).

BTW, honeychild, he does repair on Waterford (and Baccarat, Swarovski, Lenox, Steuben, Lalique, Kosta Boda, and Orrefors). If your part doesn't come through, maybe he or someone like him can help.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    15 years ago

My sister opted for Marquis. She's a foody type big time, wines, the whole bit. Maybe that's why she chose the Marquis, because some of those patterns were indeed lighter and thinner. Hmmmm, I shall have to ask her.

Obviously, I am not. I wanted the real deal. I like to hold it and I like the way it looks in my cabinet and on the table - whether it's with the fine china gig or just my every day. I could give a flip it it *works* or not. It's sparkly and pretty and that's all I need ta know. lol! :D

• Jeannine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have an aunt and uncle who are wine enthusiasts...their vacations always include visits to vineyards/wineries and their idea of a "cheap" bottle of wine is my idea of a gift bottle. I think they took over bringing wine to Christmas because they wanted to do better than any of us could.

Anyway, that aunt still uses Waterford for holidays. It's tradition. They have Baccarat and Reidel, but they laugh about the ridiculous size of the Reidel. They're the aunt and uncle that literally "have everything" and my poor mother has resorted to going into Baccarate and Stuben for their gifts (which are beautiful, but come on...out of this world expensive).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that using heavy crystal doesn't ruin wine drinking. If that crystal is a family tradition, it might even enhance the experience for you. :)

Mizmom, my mother got the new Lismore balloon wine glasses...they're very pretty!

• steve_a
    15 years ago

I just ordered a Colleen Brandy from Replacements, to match the one that I got 25 years ago. We only have a few pieces of Waterford, but I wanted to make sure that I got the 2nd Brandy before it's too late. Thanks to the OP for posting about this, I wouldn't have known. I also didn't know that Colleen is now special-order only, implying that it may be even harder to get if the firm actually closes. However, Replacements seems to have quite a bit of it, and I'm just as happy to get a piece from them, based on their return policy. They were 30-40% under new price, BTW.

• Jeannine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

If they go out of business, I bet all those Waterford-trained cutters can start making the patterns again (they aren't allowed to right now). So, even though it won't be Waterford, I bet the patterns will still be out there.

BTW, I just went to replacements and saw that if I buy a full set (1 of each of the 4 sizes made in) in my pattern, I'd save money off retail. Pretty neat.

I also found a guy who can repair a few chipped rims I have. He sets up at antique shows and will fix items on the spot while you show. :)

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Jennine...we bring the wine to holiday parties as well LOL and yes, because we can do better than a good guess (that does not by the way mean that it has to be expensive...there are GREAT wines that are quite reasonable in cost). And frankly, bringing the wine is so much easier than cooking LOL

No the thick glasses don't ruin the flavor of the wine :o) You're quite right, but if you're a wine freak doing a wine dinner, they can have an effect on the experience that could be negative. That said, obviously your holidays would't be "holiday special" without them :o) As mine wouldn't be without my venetian glass (I just save those for white wine and water).

And to be fair they are pretty sparkles :) I love the way they look in the cabinet (which is why I keep buying victorian cut glass LOL).

• flyingflower
    15 years ago

Yes, Waterford crystal does looks formal which exactly why I bought it. The only time I pull out my crystal glasses is for Thanksgiving, Christmas dinner,etc. Nothing makes a table sparkle at night under chandelier or candle light like a table set with cut crystal. One way I make an occassion feel very special is to do all the things I don't normally do...from the china to the table cloth and napkins. And when you put out your "special occassion" pieces no one will show up to the table in their bathrobe.

• texanjana
    15 years ago

When DH and I got married in 1985, we registered for Waterford Lismore, Wedgwood Runnymeade (blue), Reed & Barton Francis I sterling, plus everyday dishes, silverplate, and stainless. We received full sets of 12 iced teas, hock (which I think are more beautiful than the red and white wines), and water goblets. We received 12 place settings of the Wedgwood and several serving pieces, and 6 of the sterling as well as all of our everyday choices.

I cannot remember the last time someone I knew getting married had a registry that included sterling, crytal, or bone china. I agree that most younger people today have gone to a less formal lifestyle. I also agree that the Waterford in recent years has not been the same quality as earlier.

We also received a beautiful Galway bowl that was not our registry. I think I heard that Galway was started by former Waterford employees, but don't quote me on that.

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

I hope they can be bought out of reorganize. I hate to see old companies go out of business, but often it comes because they start making things more cheaply and/or making them in Asia and the quality falls off so sales go down. That's what happened to Hitchcock furniture near where we live. They couldn't compete with the PB and Ethan Allen type furniture, they started buying (still solid wood, but cheaper species) unfinished furniture from overseas and finishing/stenciling it themselves, still couldn't make it profitable with high cost of living/wages here in NW CT, so they went out of business. People were hoping some big company would buy them out, but now the factory is a self-storage place, former employees have opened "antique" stores with leftovers they bought from factory, do restoration and refinishing, run bed and breakfasts, and I imagine some are still out of work.

I just have to comment on people registering - we got married nearly 20 years ago, we were tacky and asked for cash since DH was in college (on GI bill), my parents gave us $1000 for wedding present but couldn't help with any expenses, the transmission in my car had just failed, we were living paycheck-to-paycheck (mine). We barely "collected" enough to pay for the reception (just took 25 guests out to dinner, we had reserved a private room in a restaurant). Yes, it was tacky, but I couldn't see registering for stuff I didn't need (I had been living on my own for 6 years during/after college so I had a set of dishes and some small appliances) when we were barely making ends meet. We decided to ask for cash so that at least we could take our loved ones (only had 2 friends, rest were family and I've even been snubbed for cutting the guest list down so far) out for a nice meal. The money my parents gave us went towards air fare since my FIL in TX died a month later. But to make a long story short, we bought a set for 8 plus serving pieces of stoneware at a yard sale (16 pieces of Corelle weren't working for 2 people esp. if we wanted to have friends over), glass wineglasses on clearance 4 for $5 in 1991. I *just* bought Gorham crystal I would have loved to register for back in '89 on eBay (haven't even unpacked them to put in china cabinet yet), and eventually we will buy china so we have "nicer" dishes to go with the crystal for the holidays. If your social circle/family allows you to register for fancier stuff, then go ahead and do it, but I hate to see youngsters in their 20's register for stuff they'll hardly ever use when they need to set up a household. And please don't spend $25,000 on a big wedding (or ask your parents to) when you could use that to buy or improve a house, pay student loans, buy a reliable car instead of that old clunker, or just have some savings! Yes, it's a nice memory but it's nicer to have something to show for it besides photos, and your family really doesn't want you to put yourself in debt (at 10% -20% interest, if you're putting things on credit cards) for years to entertain *them*!

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

Many, many new construction homes in our area are built without a formal dining room. Younger generations just don't live that way. Or at least a rising majority of them. I can't tell you how many buyers I've worked with who've said they don't even own formal dinnerware, furniture, etc.

I'd be devastated to see the company go under, of course, but I'm not a collector myself. The only reason we even have china is because my grandmother gave it to us. I never use it, as I don't want to hand wash it in my stone sink and risk breaking or chipping it. Silly, I know.

• polly929
    15 years ago

Hi all-
    Just want to weigh in on how the people are registering these days. I am married 7 years, and I registered for formal china and some Waterford pieces, and Waterford Marquis wine glasses. I enjoy using my formal china for special occasions, and I cherish the pieces that were given to me by my beloved grandmother who passed soon after I was married. It makes me smile when I put fruit in my Waterford bowl that was passed on to me when my maternal grandmother passed years ago, because it reminds me of her. I don't know if I'd feel the same had they given me measuring cups or cash. It makes me sad that younger people these days just like living more "practically" and are not registering for these things, but it is a personal choice. It just makes me wonder if years down the line they might regret the decision to forgo registering for some of the nicer things they wouldn't buy for themselves. My mom never had formal China, she eloped years ago, and she has always wished she had some. She does have an impressive Waterford collection though, and it is probably the only thing nice she has ever owned.
    Oh and I don't hand wash my China, I use the China setting in my dishwasher. Just my 2 cents.
    And ajsmama- I totally agree with you about spending 25 grand on a wedding instead of a down payment in a house, but I myself spent way too much on my wedding, and sort of wish I would have spent less on a smaller wedding, but when your 20 something, you get caught up in it all.

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Polly - I sometimes wish we'd had something a bit bigger, but we just couldn't afford it and neither could our parents. If we can afford it, I'd like to have a nice anniversary party, but I'd never ask my kids or parents to pay for that, and if our kids go to college we won't be affording it either. Maybe the 50th. And if I still care (and haven't bought china myself by then), maybe I'll ask my kids to hint that people buy us some place settings of a nice pattern - maybe the whole family can chip in to get us 6 place settings (we only have 6 DR chairs). Then again, why have people spend their money to get us something we'll use once a year for 5 years before we die LOL?

I know it's nice to have something "special" like the bowl your grandmother gave you - but that's the point, I'm sure you didn't register for it, she picked it out. Or if you did register, it was for that single piece. It's just not so special when you get multiples, does anyone even remember who exactly got them each place setting of the china? Or each stem of the crystal? I don't know if my ex-officemate/best friend remembers that our other officemate and I each gave her a full place setting (I told him he had to buy it so we would know they would have at least 2 settings).

When my sister got married, DH and I exchanged a week of our timeshare (bought b4 kids) to send them on their honeymoon in Europe, they used miles for plane tickets (BIL travels a lot). They will always remember that gift.

Our families are poor farmers, DH and I don't have anything handed down except my great-grandma's silverplate that she probably bought or received for an anniversary gift since it was made so long after she got married. My dad has a "hot cocoa" set (china pot, cups, and salt/sugar(?) shakers) that came from the Old Country he thinks with his great-grandma, I should inherit that. The shakers are discolored b/c the pot and cups sat on the pantry shelf except when they were used for "good" but the shakers were used for salt & pepper on the kitchen table. Wonder they weren't ever broken. I do hope to hand down my eBay "wedding crystal" to dd some day - it's the pattern I wanted to register for when we got engaged, but felt that it would be too much to ask for at $35 a stem. Got it used for slightly less 19 years later. But I wouldn't buy stuff or ask anyone else to just so I can hand it down - who knows, maybe dd will hate it and give it to Goodwill or sell it. It has to be something that I love and will enjoy (looking at, if not using everyday) to make it worth anyone's hard-earned $$$.

I will always treasure the Wedgewood "cameo" my godfather and his wife (my great-aunt) gave me for HS graduation (much more than the bathing suit my parents gave me). So you do want to choose things that last over "expendables" but for a young couple starting out they will need small appliances, linens, everyday dishes and even linens more than fine china and crystal. Older more established couples have all the basics, so I'd like to get them well, not nicer, but not everyday things either, and definitely not linens. I just hate it when they register for 1000 thread count sheets or fancy towels - something that they may use everyday, a splurge, but will they remember who gave it to them, and they'll be rags in a few years. Buy those yourselves and let your guests buy you the crystal and china if you have everyday stuff, or if you don't want china then how about luggage or area rugs or even register at HD for tools or gift cards (use for new carpet, windows, appliances, whatever). Ok, maybe you won't remember exactly who gave you the gift cards (maybe you'll remember the circular saw), but you'll remember your family & friends helped finance the kitchen makeover LOL (just the way you'd remember you got the china, even if you don't remember which guests gave it to you I guess. I know not every single gift can be unique and special, or else you'd end up with lots of knickknacks.).

Or at least I hope so - my cousin just got remarried, they were going to have a reception after they got back from Vegas ceremony. Bride's family (her 2nd marriage too) decided to throw a surprise party for them instead so they could save that $$$ for home improvements. Fine, but instead of planning the party and asking for $$ help, they sent out "invitations" (8 1/2" x 11 B&W copies) stating it would be $x per adult and less (not stated) per child. The party was being held at the same old place all the receptions and proms are held at here, and "x" was a lot more than a nice dinner would cost - *plus* they stated that the couple was registered at HD (so a gift was expected as well as paying "admission" to the party!). We left a phone message with our regrets and bought a HD gift card instead - was going to give it to them after they got married, haven't seen them (bad weather at Xmas and we don't have their address). I know what we did in our 20's was tacky (asking for cash), but we did it through word of mouth whenever anyone asked my mom where we were registered, never put it on our (plain, inexpensive, but still professionally printed) invitations (with response cards), and didn't set a "minimum price."

• User
    15 years ago

I don't think it's an age thing, I am solidly in middle age I frankly don't like formal entertaining or crystal/china/silver, in fact, the thought of attending a dinner party, getting dressed up and eating off of crystal and china gives me the shakes. We built a house 2 years ago with an EIK and it's our only place to eat (well, there is a screened in porch for summer dining), instead of a DR that is rarely we have a game room for the pool table that is used almost daily.

Other than an occasional beer we don't drink alcohol and we don't like matchy-matchy stuff (and I don't think we even own any wine glasses!); our entire glass and dish collections are colorful, funky and tacky singles and small sets in varying sizes and styles, most vintage or one offs and purchased from junk shops or the wonderful stores of the TJX companies.

I think the love of all thing formal is more geographic and lifestyle than age; we're old but we live in the boonies in the northeast, absolutely no formal entertaining done by anyone in our small circle of friends.

To each her own.

sandyponder

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Oh, BTW, I don't think we quite "covered" the reception since not everyone gave us cash. My ILs didn't give us anything (we told them just flying up was enough of a gift), my aunt gave us some tiny cordial glasses that I never used and gave to Salvation Army (boxed set, I think she got them at Marshalls or something, not fine crystal), and my friend gave me a set of Pyrex mixing bowls that I still use (and outlasted his marriage). So see I still remember who gave me housewares LOL! But I still have the memories (if not professional photos) - the best gift my family could have given us back then was letting us start our life together without a huge debt from the wedding.

• polly929
    15 years ago

I did not register for the Waterford bowl, that belonged to my grandmother who passed when I was 15. But the pieces to my Waterford China that my paternal grandmother gave me I did register for. And I actually do remember who gave me all my stemware, I guess I am sentimental like that. My parents were also very poor, the reason they eloped in the first place, and the reason why the only stuff of any value my mom has are the pieces of Waterford. She also inherited most of the pieces my grandmother acquired on her one and only vacation she ever took to Ireland (she was also very poor, widowed at 40 with 5 children).
    While I do agree that bridal shower gifts should be helping couples start out, I also think the stuff people register for is out of control. I lived on my own when I got married at 25, and had a blender, oven mitts, sheets and towels already. So I took the opportunity to register for finer things I would not buy for myself. I always thought it was to prevent people from receiving doubles, but some of the lists I've seen lately are absurd! My sister recently attended a shower where the couple registered for a flat screen plasma- and they GOT IT!!
    Nonetheless, I still find it sad that Waterford is closing, as I find it sad the numerous other businesses that have gone belly up lately. Just another sign of the terrible economic times, that is apparently being felt around the world.

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Sorry, I got the pieces and the grandmothers mixed up. Since I remember who gave me the mixing bowls, I think I would have remembered every gift, with only 23 guests. Not sure I would have remembered too many more than that though - how do you remember everything when you have 50+ gifts coming all at the same time, and it was 20+ years ago LOL? I think it's inevitable that memory will fail at some point.

I had just turned 26 when I got married (same month) but since I moved out of the dorm after freshman year I had been living on my own a while. DH of course had nothing coming out of barracks (except a papasan chair he still complains I made him get rid of before our first move - I did let him put it in my apartment when he moved out of the barracks and in with my uncle, I forget whether he took it to college with him when he found a place near campus with a couple of other guys or if it stayed in my apartment until I finally found a job in the same state as his school and we found an apartment together).

I hope the people who got the TV got it because they had absolutely everything else they could possibly need or want, and that it was the only thing on their registry! DH and I bought a queen sized bed when we finally got to live together, my friends at my old workplace bought us a gift card we used to buy sheets and a comforter since fullsized wouldn't work, other than that I had/bought everything we needed too. I would have loved to have registered for "finer things" like the Gorham crystal and the Wedgewood china, but just felt I couldn't ask my family to buy something that expensive (I think the crystal was about $35/stem, maybe more for flutes), and after maintaining 2 households (I had same job and same apartment but DH had to pay rent for the first time while in college, no income at all even though GI bill and ROTC paid tuition/books) and paying for a move from MD to CT, even without the car repairs we just had no money so decided we needed to spread the word that we could really just use cash. I still use the mixing bowls, and would have been happy with anything anyone wanted to give us (even kept the cordial glasses until I decided they weren't worth moving for the 10th time). Registering for expensive things, as well as being unpractical at a time when I really needed to be practical, would have been like setting a "minimum price" on a gift that I didn't think my family could afford, or if they could, would have at that point been better put towards the wedding itself or our credit cards (though we didn't put it that way, and I hope my mom didn't, though she may have told people about my transmission).

But our situation was hopefully unusual, and I would hope that people would register for things that they would use and enjoy, but still that their family and friends could afford, instead of asking for cash like we did. I do think that registering for a TV (for a shower, no less - what did they get for a wedding present??? I just looked your post again!) was overkill unless it was the only thing. On the other hand, I'm sure the happy couple will remember exactly who (and how many) people gave them that TV for the rest of their lives!

• spitfire_01
    15 years ago

ajsmama,

I'm so happy to see that there are other people here with similar backgrounds as mine. My family farmed too. I don't even think I got a high school graduation present. (I know I didn't get a college graduation present.) Once DH and I graduated from college (with degrees in engineering and computer science), we took it upon ourselves to help out the rest of the family. I'm happy to say that all of my siblings are doing well. Together, we will be sure my parents (and grandparents) are okay.

I'm very sentimental but not too concerned with expensive items. My grandfather has a mandolin that his father MADE when they lived in Appalachian mountains. That is the one thing that I would love to inherit. Every time I plant a flower and smell potting soil, I think of my grandfather who owned greenhouses and loved plants. I keep a large bed of impatiens in front of my house just like my grandmother always had.

I just wish people could comprehend that not everyone has the same circumstances in life. If it makes you happy and suits your lifestyle, buy crystal and china. As for me, I've got a grandmother who can't afford to buy groceries ...

Nin

• polly929
    15 years ago

Spitfire-
    It was never my intention to NOT comprehend that people come from very different circumstances in life. I did say in my post that it is personal preference. My point is that I just think it is sad that these very old companies are going belly up, mostly because of a bad economy, but also because I suppose the trends of younger couples who do not feel the need to have formal crystal or china. It may not be for everyone, but these days the trend seems to be going a different way on a whole.
    Ajsmama- I'm originally from an outer borough of NYC, I will not say which one, I don't want to offend anyone by saying this. But my sister still lives there and many people tend to be very "showy", bigger is always better. The person who got the plasma as a shower gift recieved it from one person. There were close to 100 people at the shower and each gift was more lavish than the next, and all were on the registry. Totally over the top.

• western_pa_luann
    15 years ago

There is a plaque in DH's office: "Change or die".

These "very old companies" who "are going belly up" did not adapt to the newer lifestyles and now they are reaping the consequences.

Makes no different if they make cars, or crystal, or whatever... if you are doing what you have always done, without noticing the evolution of lifestyles around you, you will cease to exist.

Plus, it sounds like Waterford/Wedgwood (BTW, it amazes me that many people who profess to love it can't even spell it properly....) did what Lenox, Ethan Allen and many other higher end companies did - compromised quality by shipping manufacturing operations overseas. People notice... and they don't want to continue to pay premium prices for not-so-premium goods.

Just my opinion, though!

• User
    15 years ago

I agree with western pa luann, even if they are venerable companies, if their designs aren't updated to evolving taste and/or they have cheaped out on the production of their products, they deserve to go under. And the current fiscal climate is a very convenient reason for larger, multi-national corporations or conglomorates to dump less-then-profitable divisions or companies and perhaps use the resulting property (physical and intellectual) in another way.

sandyponder

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Luann - exactly what happened with Hitchcock. Things are only going to get worse in this global recession.

Polly - my BIL grew up on Long Island, his family has $$$ (though sis is scared to ask how much they lost last year). I hosted her bridal (and her bridesmaids couldn't help financially) and her baby showers, so don't know what anyone there might have given since her MIL and SIL came to the showers here. I think her MIL had bridal shower there, and remember a baby shower that I didn't travel to, one of her friends went totally over the top with baby clothes (all designer) on a clothesline she kept pulling out of a basket. Her MIL was very nice and even sent me some RL clothes, blanket and a bear for my dd. Much different from here (my kids are 5 years apart, different genders, and much heartache and medical bills in between but my family says only the 1st kid gets a shower, and my cousins with girls won't even give me handmedowns b/c they're saving them for their 3rd, 4th kids).

Spitfire - sounds like us - I have an MSEE but quit my job when dd was 1 yr old b/c she needed me (and my supervisor who was promoted while I was on mat. leave told me to choose - not a hard decision!). We have always helped our parents, helped siblings when we could (even went without Xmas gifts one year, asked my parents to send the $ they would have spent on us to DH's db when his teenage son died, we gave them everything we could spare for funeral expenses, plus some of my mom's siblings sent donations). It's harder now that we've got 1 income and DH's company has been in the news about going bankrupt, being bought out - all rumors, but the stock price is crazy and they had layoffs in Nov. B/c of our background (MIL grew up in Great Depression), we've always been frugal - short of houses, cars, and education, we don't borrow for anything and we try to get the lowest interest rate/shortest term possible. We paid cash for the last 2 cars, DH is still driving the oldest of the 3 (1996 model with 175,000 miles) but we felt we needed another 4WD and more reliable so bought Subaru in 2006. I'd love to have a plasma TV (we have a 27" TV now, bought new in 1999 to replace the one he bought in 1989 for the barracks - forgot about that since he took it to college with him, we got rid of my old 1986 wood cabinet TV in 1999 as well). But not high on our list of priorities - let's hope the new converter box works next month! My DB is asking for $ help after a divorce (his ex earns 6 figures, he's unemployed but has to pay her $800/mo in child support) and I just don't know if we can afford to help. Maybe if he could pay it back, but he never does and we've got a big credit card bill due in May (financed building materials, carpet, etc. on HD card 0% for 1 year). We already skipped buying each other presents this Xmas, and didn't spend as much on the rest of the family. Wish I hadn't bought that crystal in October but back then I thought economy had hit bottom - even bought some stock for my IRA and of course now it's just come back to half of what I bought it for. Didn't think that a month later DH's company would be laying off.

Sorry, way off topic. I don't want to make anyone feel bad no matter what your circumstances.

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Luann - exactly what happened with Hitchcock. Things are only going to get worse in this global recession.

Polly - my BIL grew up on Long Island, his family has $$$ (though sis is scared to ask how much they lost last year). I hosted her bridal (and her bridesmaids couldn't help financially) and her baby showers, so don't know what anyone there might have given since her MIL and SIL came to the showers here. I think her MIL had bridal shower there, and remember a baby shower that I didn't travel to, one of her friends went totally over the top with baby clothes (all designer) on a clothesline she kept pulling out of a basket. Her MIL was very nice and even sent me some RL clothes, blanket and a bear for my dd. Much different from here (my kids are 5 years apart, different genders, and much heartache and medical bills in between but my family says only the 1st kid gets a shower, and my cousins with girls won't even give me handmedowns b/c they're saving them for their 3rd, 4th kids).

Spitfire - sounds like us - I have an MSEE but quit my job when dd was 1 yr old b/c she needed me (and my supervisor who was promoted while I was on mat. leave told me to choose - not a hard decision!). We have always helped our parents, helped siblings when we could (even went without Xmas gifts one year, asked my parents to send the $ they would have spent on us to DH's db when his teenage son died, we gave them everything we could spare for funeral expenses, plus some of my mom's siblings sent donations). It's harder now that we've got 1 income and DH's company has been in the news about going bankrupt, being bought out - all rumors, but the stock price is crazy and they had layoffs in Nov. B/c of our background (MIL grew up in Great Depression), we've always been frugal - short of houses, cars, and education, we don't borrow for anything and we try to get the lowest interest rate/shortest term possible. We paid cash for the last 2 cars, DH is still driving the oldest of the 3 (1996 model with 175,000 miles) but we felt we needed another 4WD and more reliable so bought Subaru in 2006. I'd love to have a plasma TV (we have a 27" TV now, bought new in 1999 to replace the one he bought in 1989 for the barracks - forgot about that since he took it to college with him, we got rid of my old 1986 wood cabinet TV in 1999 as well). But not high on our list of priorities - let's hope the new converter box works next month! My DB is asking for $ help after a divorce (his ex earns 6 figures, he's unemployed but has to pay her $800/mo in child support) and I just don't know if we can afford to help. Maybe if he could pay it back, but he never does and we've got a big credit card bill due in May (financed building materials, carpet, etc. on HD card 0% for 1 year). We already skipped buying each other presents this Xmas, and didn't spend as much on the rest of the family. Wish I hadn't bought that crystal in October but back then I thought economy had hit bottom - even bought some stock for my IRA and of course now it's just come back to half of what I bought it for. Didn't think that a month later DH's company would be laying off.

Sorry, way off topic. I don't want to make anyone feel bad no matter what your circumstances.

• steve_a
    15 years ago

Well, this has turned into quite a philosophical discussion. I fall into the camp of less formal, or at least more modern in my design tastes. But, despite being a guy, I do have design tastes, which explains why I read this forum in the first place. I have opinions on the design of cars, architecture, interior design, and even tableware. One of the first activities that my (future) wife and I engaged in was finding the remaining pieces of a Dansk pattern that I was somewhat obsessed with at the time. Fortunately, our tastes are often in synch. Maybe Waterford and similar companies "deserve" to go down, I don't know because I haven't followed their business practices. As I stated, I don't have cabinet full of it, just 5 pieces, soon to be 6. But yet... the Colleen Brandy that I have is one of the few objects that I am extremely attached to for only it's tactic qualities: beauty, heft, craftsmanship. That/s the reason that I was so alarmed and saddened by this news, and why I ordered another one. I just think that it would be a supreme misfortune if this company went away and we knew that it no longer existed in the world. Kind of like an extinction, if that comparison is permitted.

• honeychild1
    15 years ago

Yay!!!! I received my sconce arm today. Now if I could just figure out the exact placement on my dining room wall I'd be all set.

Also, I have to agree, Waterford, sterling silver, bone china isn't for everyone...but it is for me. (I'm 44, have never owned anything from PB and probably never will, aren't we fortunate to all have a choice!)

• spitfire_01
    15 years ago

polly929,

I think I finally realize what I have been trying to say (admittedly, not well). It is NOT a personal preference for some people. Some people don't have the luxury of choosing to register or not register for fine china/crystal/silver/whatever. Sure they *could* register, but it would be foolish given their financial circumstances.

BTW, my comments were not directed at you personally. You simply re-iterated what had already been said many, many times. However, I do thank you for your comment b/c it helped me clarify my thoughts.

I realize that this discussion is actually about the stereotypical "normal" bride and groom who register or don't register according to their personal preference. In that, I agree with you. More of those people are opting not to register.

Frankly, I really don't care if they do or don't. I don't see anything wrong with being practical or even a little frugal, especially in these uncertain economic times. As always, the pendulum will swing. The children or grandchildren of this generation may return to formal entertaining.

Nin

• fairytalebaby
    15 years ago

Count me in with the casual crowd. I didn't register when I got married at the age of 21--and now, at 30, I'm so glad I didn't. My tastes have changed so many times now and I'm sure I would have sentimental attachment to a pattern purchased for our wedding...but (to me) that's what family pieces are for. I have things that I would've never CHOSEN, that belonged to my Mom & Grandma...and I cherish those items and can't wait to shop for my "forever" set now that I'm older.

• jaybird
    15 years ago

I have hand-me-down crystal, beautiful china and silver. When I married, I registered for all three, and have handed them down to my DD prefering to live with the antiques now that I am one :^) I am UNLIKE my ancestors in that I use this stuff and enjoy it immensely! Even my DH notices a beautifully set table, and has become quite knowledgeable regarding the dishes!
    AJSMama, I am from Suffield...you must be somewhere in the neighborhood! Glad to see another CN yankee!