Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

Can you see this mirror with my entry table?

Valerie Noronha
16 years ago

I just spied this mirror for sale on Craigslist and am wondering if it would look good over my entry table. I'm very intrigued by the green frame; but not sure how it'd look paired with the bronze light fixture above (which is not being replaced at this time).

{{!gwi}}

The following is a mockup done by squirrel which shows where I am headed with my living room which opens up into the entry.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Oval Mirror

Comments (18)

• teedup1
    16 years ago

It doesn't give dimensions for the oval mirror, but it looks similar in size as your dining room mirror. If you buy the oval one, I'd switch locations of the two mirrors and hang both of them horizontally.

The green finish on the oval mirror is interesting but I'd probably glaze/paint/stain it darker, more in tone with your other wood furniture.

• msrose
    16 years ago

sorry, I don't really like the green.

Laurie

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I'd have to alter the finish too. It really doesn't look like a $450 mirror, to me, either and I think $100 is quite a bit for it.

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

It's intriguing, but not the right mirror for your space, I don't think.

I see your mock-up has the contrasting far wall in tact. I think that looks wonderful. Squirrel, great design!

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK, I'll pass then if no one thinks the color is right. I was preferring more of a gilted mirror than a wood toned mirror, then saw this one and said hmmmm.... Les thought an oval would look good over this table so had been focusing on that.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

My mother has one that is a layered green finish with a lot of the gold gilt, so it reads more in the middle. I agree something like that might be nice, but this one looks too green, imo. Her mirror actually came in an oval, too, but is likely long out of circulation in the marketplace to even find a picture (although I might stumble on one around this archive! as an example).

• les917
    16 years ago

I still think the oval would be a great choice, but this mirror isn't the one. It looks like the 1980's green that was so popular, paired with peach. Ask me how I know. LOL

If you are keeping the light fixture long term, I think you need to find a very simple mirror, perhaps with some antique brass accents to match the table. Anything too ornate will fight with the more contemporary, simple style of the light above it.

Teedup's suggestion about bringing the mirror in from the DR is an alternative to consider. It is really too small where it is. Since that furniture is a done deal in the DR, find a larger mirror for in there, take the rectangular mirror out and hang it vertically over the hall table. That way, you only need to buy one mirror for now. Then, down the road when you are ready to change out the sconce, you can find the perfect mirror to work with the new light and the table.

• no_green_thumb
    16 years ago

It looks to me exactly like the ones that were in two of our bathrooms when we moved here. They were original to the house - this house was built in the middle 60's. Every house in this development had that mirror!
    BTW, I am enjoying seeing your room develop, placement of furniture, etc. It is a beautiful room!

• teacats
    16 years ago

JUST a thought -- but have you considered hanging your mirror from the dining room -- vertically -- over the table?? Hard to tell (size shape etc.) from here ....

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK, I'm thinking about it now.... How else would I accessorize that wall and table if I were to hang the one in the dining room vertically?

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Would this be big enough for my sideboard?

60"W x 35"H

The width of my sideboard is 62"

Here is a link that might be useful: Mirror for Sideboard

• les917
    16 years ago

Did you link to the right craigslist ad? The width is listed as 65" in the ad, not 60" as you posted, so that would be too wide imo. Not sure about the height. Could you measure from the top of the sideboard to the top of the existing mirror to see what that total height would be? I think the new mirror would need to be at least that tall.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Les: Your are right. It is 65". Drat, I thought this one would work.

The distance from sideboard to top of mirror is 37". What size mirror do you think I should be looking for?

• les917
    16 years ago

I think you want the mirror to be at least 2/3 of the width of the sideboard, so about 40 inches. I think it needs to reach to at least the point where the top of the mirror is now, so allowing for hanging it a bit above the sideboard, maybe at least 30 inches in height.

What you might also think about is searching for something with a bit of a curved top, like a crown or arch, to pick up on the shield-back shape of the chairs. You can also search for 'buffet mirror', as the dimensions should be closer to what you might want.

Don't limit yourself to what you see online or on craigslist. Take a trip to a large lighting department or lighting store. They have catalogues full of mirrors from companies like Quoizel that also sell lighting. It will let you see what is out there, and give you ideas of what you might want for the space.

• teacats
    16 years ago

Welllllll -- if you tried your dining room mirror -- hung vertically -- over the foyer table ...... you could add a beautiful decorative cachepot or pot on the table -- one that you could fill with some greenery (real or faux)?

As for each side of the mirror -- hmmmmm -- not sure that it would actually need anything else on the wall due to the visual impact of the sconce above it ......

Jan

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The mirror I have there now is 39"W x 21"H. I guess you think it is too narrow then? I still need to get someting else for the center spot on the sideboard--as the one I have there now is too Christmasy. I measured the spot under the sconce and there will be about 10-12" left over between the mirror and table so certanily it will fit there also. Given I'm at the tail end of my remodel, the budget is pretty tight given the list of items I still want to get to make this place a home. I did spend over $200 ea on some Quoizel mirrors for my master bath, but feel I can still find something in a vintage style for this area with CL. If not, then my budget might be more LNT! It'll never be quite perfect, but hopefully good enough!

• redbazel
    16 years ago

I agree that the green one won't work, the big one is too big. Why don't you try this, kiddo? Look on ebay for a mirror that appeals to you, try searching 'gilt mirror' 'gilded mirror' 'oval mirror' etc. Once you find one you like, make yourself a nice life size cutout out of brown wrapping paper or white posterboard and hang it with tape or a push pin above your sideboard? That way, you can see what size will work the best. I agree that a nice vintage gilt would be tres cool. Then, you can either try ebay, scan CL, or even hit a few garage/estate sales in the next few weeks as Spring dawns on California!

Red

• les917
    16 years ago

No, the DR mirror is not too narrow, but not tall enough.

As for the entry table, I would think a pretty hand-painted bowl or cachepot as teacats suggested, filled with greenery. would be nice, kind of a softer touch. I am not sure about the table width, but it doesn't seem that wide that you would have room for much.