Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

Another Vote for Black Doors! Two down, many to go (pix)

User
12 years ago

I've agonized over the door issue because all ours need painting and there is no way we can match the existing trim. It is a heavy white oil paint that has changed color a bit, and I don't care for shiny doors anyway. I admired the photos of black interior doors on houzz and other sites but noticed they seemed to always be shots of rooms with white, beige or grey walls, and in lovely and spare RH type settings. Anyway we tried today with four whites and two darks, and finally settled on Charleston green (6 parts black to one part green) which is also the color of our exterior shutters. It reads as very dark, but complements the light green walls beautifully. I am thrilled with it and the painter is as surprised as he can be at how fabulous they are. This is a shot of the front door --- it is a single french door with beveled glazing and sidelights. We've decided to do all the interior doors and we're doing both sides in the green/black. It has updated our traditional decor instantly!

Comments (24)

• caminnc
    12 years ago

Love black doors and yours looks fabulous! What kind of paint are you using?

• bestyears
    12 years ago

That's beautiful! Plus you won't see all the annoying dirt marks around the door knob the way you do with white doors!

• User
    12 years ago

Wow, that looks great!

• yborgal
    12 years ago

Our daughter painted the interior doors of her Raleigh home a shiny black and left the trimwork white. Her wall colors varied...from Cork to Sage Green. The look was spectacular. Go for the dark doors; they will look beautiful in your home.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The paint is Sherwin Williams' greenblack, it is the most "Charleston-looking" of all the different brands of that color and what we've already used on our exterior shutters. The finish is satin. We chose that because the semigloss just looked too shiny against our high gloss oil paint finish on the trim and I wanted something very quiet looking--- if that makes sense with black doors :)

• sallymo2015
    12 years ago

They look great! I've been thinking of doing the same for several years now, and I'm still a big chicken!

• DLM2000-GW
    12 years ago

That's a money shot there of your entry, kswl! Fabulous look, and not just the door color although that adds a nice bit of drama to an already beautiful space. Please keep adding pictures as the doors are finished. I'm really interested in seeing how it looks in place with solid doors and different lighting.

Deb

• amykath
    12 years ago

Wonderful!!!! I cannot wait to see more. You picked the perfect color!

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

It looks grreat! I am thinking about doing the inside of our front door black to match the exterior, but would probably need to convince DH about it.

• tinam61
    12 years ago

oooooohhhhhhhh that looks GREAT!!! I love the dark doors - I just don't see them in our house. Which I guess is okay since I really don't "need" another project! I'll just keep consoling myself!

Yours are lovely!

tina

• vanillafields
    12 years ago

Looks great! Makes the space more interesting and unexpected, love it!

• rmkitchen
    12 years ago

Like a moth to a flame the days I visit GW are the days you have posted. Love your new door color and love the thought which went into its color / finish (I happen to concur, based on that one, lonely [hint hint] picture).

Last year when I painted many of our interior doors high-gloss black I thought about what you'd written, that all but two of the rooms the doors face are of that dreamy greige color (BM's Cedar Key and Frappe), and another two are my own custom Rani Pank and P&L's British Brown); our (almost) universal interior trim is BM's Calming Creme (basically a creamy yellow -- I like that oil-based white which has yellowed look) In our house, the pure high-gloss black plays v. nicely with all. Again, in our setting I knew that anything other than high-gloss wouldn't read right.

Anyway, my point being I love your choice and look forward to seeing more, please. Whenever I uncover my (sports) banners I'll post a pic, too. Thank you for the reminder!

Happy Charleston Green -- me gusta mucho.

• homestylelisa
    12 years ago

Sorry to hijack - but I am also intrigued with black doors. If I were to paint my entry door this gorgeous black on the outside/inside, would I then have to match all the interior doors to match, or could I just keep the entry door that color?

That pic of your entry makes me drool and causes me to want to "at least" do the front door!

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

LOVE it!!! Especially love it with your gloriously green walls!

Black is the new black!!! (says she of the black brick wall/fp)

• nini804
    12 years ago

That's gorgeous! I really like this trend...it one of those rare things that combines form with function...ie, looks amazing and will be easier to keep clean! :)

• caminnc
    12 years ago

homestylelisa, I'm doing just my front and back door black. The rest of the doors will remain white. I have seen this many, many times here in the south. Looks great, so go for it.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think the interior of the front door can be painted black and look fabulous even if all the other interior doors are white or another color.

This positive feedback is very heartening! Even though it is "just" paint it has made a huge impact. Our wood doors are currently stained with a very light stain that lets the door grain show through. For the wood purists, the thing to do would have been to strip and restain these a dark walnut color---and I did contemplate that, for about a nanosecond. The trouble and disruption of all that compared to just painting the doors, when I like the black better .... well, it was a no-brainer :) When I read my original post I gave the wrong impression about doors--- I love glossy doors in other settings, just not here. We tried a semigloss on these doors and they just did not look right with the overly glossy trim, perhaps because one was oil and one was acrylic, and that's why we went with satin.

Rmkitchen, again thanks for your kind words, you are too nice! I will post more photos as the doors get finished. We actually tried painting black on one side and white on the other, but I like the dark color so much we are doing it on both sides!

• lynninnewmexico
    12 years ago

What a striking change . . . I love it! Big congrats on the choice!!!
    Lynn

• juddgirl2
    12 years ago

Love it! I think your light wood floors make the darker doors stand out even more.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What you're seeing in that area is travertine. We do have have a lighter than usual hickory wood floor in that living area,and I think the dark doors make both look better!

• tinker_2006
    12 years ago

I LOVE it!!! I love, love it!

• Irish2
    12 years ago

Another "love it'!

• busybee3
    12 years ago

nice!
    our neighbor has had black interior doors for a few years now--it looks great... she also had all of her spindles on her front staircase painted black also....

• catkin
    12 years ago

Yay for those that have taken the leap!
    I've been threatening to paint my interior doors for too long now. I have Tricorn Black in high gloss latex just waiting in my closet but I really have to be in the mood to paint! LOL

Got more pics anyone? Thanks for sharing kswl!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!