Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amacalle

Would love help on picking out a cream paint color

amacalle
11 years ago

I am terrible at picking out paint. I don't think I've ever picked out one that I didn't hate. Now we are living in a one very small room cabin and everything is dark dingy rough sawn pine - the walls, floors, countertop, shelves, bench, cabinets, ladder - so I wanted to choose a nice warm cream color for the walls. I love the kitchen in this photo and wanted a color close to it for ours but a touch lighter so it might make our place feel a little bigger. I've read a ton of past threads and blogs but am only getting more overwhelmed. I tested out Behr Magnolia Blossom and yesterday when I first painted some (cloudy day) it seemed to bright white but looking at it now on a sunny this sunny morning it looks beautiful. Can I expect to find a color that I will like in all lighting? Now I want to paint the walls before refinishing the floors and counter because I am so messy with painting and this will warm up the space quite a bit. With that in mind should I choose a more subdued color that will reflect the color of the pine floors? We live in coastal Maine with large windows on the north an south side and smaller ones on the east and west. We don't have electrical lights yet an use candles and kerosene lanterns but will be getting LEDs soon. Sorry for so much rambling but any advice, paint suggestions would be so helpful!

Comments (18)

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

I love BM Mascarpone, I used it for almost our entire townhouse -it has windows only on the northeast and southwest sides, lowish ceilings and long narrow rectangle shape so it could seem dark or dingy. When we bought the place it was painted a flat dingy white.

I picked Mascarpone from among the millions of whites at the store which all looked the same, based on the gardenweb posts about it. I used eggshell to help increase the glow/light feeling without looking shiny.

it's perfect - a warm white but not what I'd call cream which would have more yellow in it. It's just a sort of glowing warm white that looks great with everything.

here are some pics

{{gwi:1530215}}

{{!gwi}}

BEFORE (yes the carpet was disgusting!)

{{!gwi}}

AFTER pic taken at same time of day - same amount of light!

{{!gwi}}

• geokid
    11 years ago

I also like Mascarpone. We are in the process of repainting all of our orange oak trim in that color.

In my previous home we repainted our no light (houses on three sides and a covered porch on the other) living room SW Roycroft Vellum. It was a great color.

{{!gwi}}

Since you're on the Maine coast, have you considered whitewash? The link below is from a previous thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oyster Catcher

• Oakley
    11 years ago

I used SW Dover White. Link below on a lot of pictures of houses using the same color.

Here's the thing with white that I found out. Without sunlight in the room, I find the white depressing unless I have all of my kitchen lights on, including under-cab lighting. It could be just me though. I think white CAN look drab at times which is why lighting is so important.

If my under-cab lights aren't on, then I won't hang out in my kitchen. The good thing is the light bulbs seem to never go out! lol

Here is a link that might be useful: SW Dover White

• EG3d
    11 years ago

I used Behr Creamy White on my guest room headboard.

And SW Coconut Grove now a retired color originally for exterior but the fellows at Sherwin Williams can mix it up for you in the interior formula.

• amacalle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I picked up a bunch of Benjamin Moore chips and thought Marscapone looked very pretty and a touch darker than the Magnolia Blossom I tried and it is amazing the difference it made in your condo! but to further complicate things, they don't offer the tiny sample pots and the smallest they offer is 8$ which will very quickly double the price of this whole project! I don't know if this is standard, it's not a specialized Ben Moore store but there aren't any in the area
    I have been thinking about white washing but didn't know if the color would turn out dingy since the wood underneath is so dark and weatherstained. I was also hoping paint might smooth them a little more. However the house in the link you posted is GORGEOUS. I love it
    Drab is definitely not what we are going for and we will probably never have great artificial lighting in there. Makes me wonder if I should reconsider cream...
    Behrs creamy white looks very pretty

• geokid
    11 years ago

I've never whitewashed so I can't offer any advice. But I've always wanted a cabin on the Great Lakes and I always pictured it whitewashed. :) Do you know a good painter that you could ask their opinion?

Do you have any photos of your space? I love the thought of a candlelit house on coastal Maine.

Here's a nice photograph of Behr Creamy White.

Behr's Creamy White for walls and Ultra Pure White for trim

Here is a link that might be useful: Cottage makeover

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

We used Mascarpone in the matte finish in our FR and downstairs entryway. Love the color. In our home it appears cream (downstairs, not a ton of natural light), which is what we wanted.

The only drawback, is that it was the only Aura paint/color that lived up to Aura's reputation as being a bit of a PITA to apply. My theory is that it has more solids than the other colors in order to give it some coverage, since it's such a light colors. It had a tendency to sag and drip if applied too thickly. I think we used three coats? Also, don't back brush over it when cutting in, it gummed up quickly (compared to the other Aura paints/colors we've used throughout our home).

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

I just used the Ben paint and it went on perfectly!

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

I like farrow and ball whites .. Especially pointing and tallow which is a pale creamy white

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I also have a house in Maine and we did all our walls in the lake house in Walmart brand country white, it's a warm white. If I were you I'd do a warm cream as white can be gloomy in a dark room. My living room only gets sun in the afternoon and, since it's surrounded by a screened in porch, the rest of the day it's darker. The white never would have worked. I found the Walmart brand to hold us just as well as BM and SW.

• amacalle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ooo I like the FB tallow quite a bit, a little creamier. But i couldnt really judtify the price, let alone have the patience fir delivery, but Home Depot had a formula for imitating that I will get a sample of.

Here is an old picture of the place before we added anything and even finished the siding. As you can see it looks more like a hunting shack than a romantic candlelit cabin, and Very small! It has come along way from here but I've just sealed the knots in the pine so it looks a little silly or I would take new pic.

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

Oh it will look cute with some painted walls!

• amacalle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well I got a behr sample of the FB color tallow and liked it so I picked up a gallon of Ben Moore color matched to tallow. They are a bit different with the behr being a little pinkie and the BM a bit more yellow. But I love the color I got and the place looks so much better already after putting up one coat of primer. Thank you very much everybody!!

• geokid
    11 years ago

Post pics when you're done!

I also think it will be cute with painted walls. Rustic, but fresh, like your inspiration pic.

• amacalle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I finally was able to take a pic of the color, it still needs touch ups and to paint the trim. I had to put a filter on the pic to lighten it since taking a picture towards the window made the walls look so dark and shadowed. I like the color but almost wish I went a little lighter

• amacalle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's another pic with more wall

Now all I have to do is pick the trim, ceiling, and exterior colors!! (Grey/blue we think if anyone knows of any offhand haha)

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

Very cute, I'd love to see more!

• geokid
    11 years ago

Exactly what tinan said!