Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katienic_gw

halogen fixture over islands? Yes or No?

katienic
15 years ago

Me again.

I will not be having recessed lighting.

I found a fixture I like for my long, but fairly narrow island. It's a cross between pendant and track,and takes halogen bulbs. It can be dimmed.

Does anyone have a halogen fixture (rather than recessed lights) over their island? If so how do you like it. If you are not a fan, then please add why not?

Here is the photo to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Thanks

KN

Comments (12)

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

Halogen can get quite warm. Will there be seating at this island? I have halogen above my mirror in my bath and on the rare occasions I get gussied up to go out, I'm flushed by the time I'm done w/ makeup.

• katienic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you both for responding. No, there won't be seating at the island where the light is.

I toodled on in to the lighting store today and held a sample of granite under a display of halogen lights. I really liked how it made the granite look and I do belive I will enjoy it as task light. It's good to hear rhome that you don't find them overly hot as that was the one concern my DH did have. I can control the direction of the lamps so that might help too.

rhome: what wattage do you usually use. The gal at the lamp store recommended 50 (this would give the equivalent of 300w from the unit).

Thanks again
    KN

• rhome410
    15 years ago

We have different wattages in different fixtures. I'm not sure what we had over our bfast bar in the other house, but I'm pretty sure they were 50. Our recessed cans have 75 watt floods. Our kitchen fixtures have 60-100 watt halogena bulbs.

• patti823
    15 years ago

I have them in our can lights and in our pendants. I love them!! I do notice that if I'm standing under the can, I can feel the heat, but they are 75 watt floods. I have 3 pendants over my island and they are 50 watts and they are not hot at all, and we do have seating at our island. I have them all on dimmers, so I can turn them down if I don't want as much light/heat.

• raehelen
    15 years ago

We have halogens throughout the kitchen. Like you, what confirmed it for me was taking the granite sample to the lighting store. We sit at both the table and the peninsula which have halogens, and never a problem with heat. I sort and pack seeds on the counter and love having the nice bright light!

• katienic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks patti & raehelen for your input on this too. It is good to hear that you also find they don't generate too much heat, and that you are both very happy with the effect.

I've lived with a very poorly lit kitchen for so long that I'm excited and looking forward to 'let there be light'!

• qs777
    15 years ago

Just wanted to say that I like your light fixture and wanted to know where you found it. I'm looking for a light for over my island as well and, although we have fluorescent cans there now (because we have to in CA), I will definitely be changing it out after we get the permit signed off (I know that is terrible, but our electric bill w/o fluorescents is only about $35 and I don't see that going much lower by forcing us to only have fluorescents - sorry to rant) There is just nothing comparable to the type of light that halogen gives - it just makes everything bright and sparkly.

• katienic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

qs777: Glad you like it. The photo doesn't do it justice. It is stunning in real life. The shades are termed as butterscotch, but don't let that put you off if you are looking for white. It is a translucent near white that isn't the least yellowish or tan, just very warm & inviting.

I'm purchasing here at a lighting store in Canada but there are a number of US on-line sites that have it.
    Product is DVl: DVP-9336.

Here is a link that might be useful: DVP9336 - Island Light Fixture

• katienic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry qs777, the link was working yesterday, but today they say the fixture no longer exists.
    Here is another link.

Here is a link that might be useful: new link to fixture

• dancingsams
    15 years ago

If you're in CA, you might also consider LED. There are superbright LEDs now that are extremely efficient and similar in lighting feel and color to the halogens.

We are building most of our new home - due to be done in another 12 months (sigh) with LEDs in the fixtures.
    Just a thought ...

• qs777
    15 years ago

Thanks for the link - I just got around to looking at it today. I'm glad you mentioned the shades as I did not want anything yellow but my monitor showed them just as you described. And the price isn't bad, either. Thanks!

Dancing - I've been looking at LEDs but the ones I have been seeing all have a bluish tint and not the white crispness of halogens. Granted, the ones I have seen are on the cheaper end so I will have to check out more expensive ones to see if they look better. Good luck with your new home. Hope you're taking lots of pictures for all of us ;)