Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soshh

wall/cab. color for subway tile/marble/stained glass bath

soshh
16 years ago

Hi all,

Coming down to the final decisions for my kids' bath, one of which is my paint choices.

It will be a very traditional bathroom, white subways and hex with gray grout, satin nickel faucets and hardware, schoolhouse pendant over sink. The vanity top will be made with a statuary marble remnant, similar to shown. It has some warm tan and cooler gray veins running through it. Their vanity will be about 4 feet wide, built into an alcove, with towers to the ceiling on either side of the sink. For trim, there is only one window (the stained glass, which is part of a double hung) and one door. The tile will go to wainscot height, so there is not much wall showing.

The concern is choosing a color for the cabinetry, trim and walls. I don't want it to be pure white. I would like to do either a warm gray (BM Edgecomb or Revere Pewter), a cream (like BM Lancaster Whitewash) or a deeper putty like BM Abingdon Putty, all from the historical color palette.

I would do the cabinetry and wood trim the same, and the walls slightly different. (Either a shade darker or lighter perhaps.)

I intend to pull in some color with their bath mat and towels, but the stained glass is throwing me!

Comments (14)

• syllabus
    16 years ago

Just want to say that the window is wonderful and I can see the woodwork done in shades of gray to play up the blue glass and zinc of the leading. The green will accent the grays and could be used for towels along w/ blues.

How many kids? Can one have blue towels, one have green and the third have gray??

• soshh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Syllabus,

I do like the window even though it's not authentic. Normally I would probably do creams for the woodwork but it's not thrilling me with the window. It's also impossible to match the colors because they change as the sunlight changes, so I need to do something different.

I agree, I am leaning towards the gray after googling gray and seeing an interesting juxtaposition with blue/green stained glass windows in a kitchen painted with gray cabs.

I have three kids (all girls) who happen to love blues and greens, so I might do towels in lime, blue and aqua (or similar, depending on what JC PEnney has on sale!).

I appreciate your comments and hope to hear others too!

I don't know if anyone remembers a Martha S. inspired kitchen posted here last year, I think the poster was BNAflyer and I save some of his pics. He used gray for his cabinetry and carrara marble. It was spectacular. Unforunately, I can't find his kitchen thread anywhere.

• soshh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So here is the image I found with the gray cabs and stained glass.

I would do a lighter gray, but I do like how it makes the tained glass pop.

• soshh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is my p'shop mock up. Thoughts?

• nutellasandwiches_yahoo_com
    16 years ago

I was looking for BNAflyer's page too...

Here it is.
    :)

Here is a link that might be useful: bnaflyer

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Grey is such a depressing suicidal color and so many kids are depressed... I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

With a fabulous antique looking bathroom like that I'd get out my tape measure and go beat the pavement at antique stores for a cabinet to serve as a vanity. I wouldn't quit until I found it.

And as far as a vanity top goes, I'd look for a color/pattern that would hide dirt well, which would probably be somewhere in the medium brown tones, or even blue.

I'd use a deep cinnamon brown on my grout, too. I know that's parting ways with the traditional, but I already did that in a bathroom in my last house and loved, loved, loved it for many years; it was exceptionally low maintenance.

You probably didn't want to hear that, since you like grey. But you asked.

• soshh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Funny, I had posted my (final???) color choices but a bunch of the posts seem to have disappeared.

The walls, window/door trim and upper cabs will be BM Revere Pewter (might do walls a bit lighter). Base cabs Gray pinstripe or one color deeper on that strip, which is a blue-gray and similar ot a Farrow & Ball color Down PIpe that I read was used in woodwork in old English homes. Ceiling will be a Silver Sage type color, there are a few I like. Grout is a med/dark gray.

Oceanna, I wouldn't post comments like that if I were you. That's really a sick, thing to say. I will refrain from saying what I really feel about your post. Not all grays are "suicidal or depressing" and neither are my kids. I don't know what experiences you may have had in your past to find that comment appropriate, but it isn't.

• wisrose
    16 years ago

Soshh, I think the bathroom you are putting together sounds lovely, not at all depressing, gray can be awesome in design. I love to see people do design "outside the box", it's what keeps it interesting. Lord knows we have seen enough white cabinets in design. And OH Yea, That window will look fantastic inside the grey frame.

• soshh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Wisrose. I do feel confident with the ideas behind my decisions, and definitely like to decorate outside the box a little!

Here was the color scheme for anyone interested!

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

I like it but maybe just a splash of color on the walls. Were you considering the Quiet Moments for the wall color? I think it looks a little like Silver Sage and I love that combo with gray. Very sophisticated!!!! And the Stain glass is fantastic!! Maybe even a very faint blue on the walls to bring out the blue in the glass.

• soshh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Quiet moments (or similar) was the ceiling. The sash trim was the gray pinstripe (actually, I decided to go one deeper, I think Kitty Gray?) which really pops the blue in the glass. There is very little wall space, so I was going to keep it the light gray and two 3 different colored towels for my three girls (light aqua, blue and lime green).

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

It'll be beautiful, with more colorful accents in the accessories and the window, as you say. It's a beautiful look.

• soshh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Squirrel, remember all the mockups you did? This thread was much longer and a bunch of the posts disappeared. I wonder what happened?

At any rate, you're right, I am going for a more monochromatic look aside from the accessories, including the silver lame shower curtain!

• User
    16 years ago

I think the colors you have chosen and the simplicity are beautiful. I have stained glass windows in my home that are that exact blue and green. I am lucky that one is original and one is a very well done copy. In the original there is just a hint of pale yellow in the clear. I accentuated that by making the foyer walls a very pale Belgian Waffle, an Olympic Brand paint color. I really love creamy white trims and deeper color walls. I would love to see what a rich cream looks like on the trim and use the greys for the walls etc.

Wonder too about the other posts. I just looked at this this AM so didn't see them. Maybe squirrel can repost??

Also everytime your girls enter that bath they will smile....c