Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goldgirl_gw

Back after a long break, can you help with a home office?

goldgirl
16 years ago

It's been awhile since I've been around regularly, back in 2004/05. Now a few years and two states later, I'm finally ready to put a home office/library together. But I need to do it quickly.

I'll be starting law school in the fall part-time (at age 46 LOL), while continuing to work as a journalist. However, I'll probably be writing more at home and less in the office and commuting a lot. I'd like this room to be comfy and functional, so I don't have to think about where things are. The space isn't anything special but at 13 x 13, is roomy. I'm thinking of putting an L-shaped desk in the corner where the folding tables are...maybe something like this...

...although I'm not sure if I'll need more flat room to spread out books for school. I'm a traditional-style girl and would like this room to have a strong library feel. The closets have a single wire shelf, so I'm wondering about some kind of organizers for those.

My going back to school is putting us on a tight deadline to try and get several home projects done within the next six months. I'm having trouble even thinking about options here and would be grateful for suggestions on anything - other furniture, colors, etc. (The hallway is a deep yellow/gold and we have deep colors elsewhere throughout the house - reds, olive greens and blues.

Normally I'd scour craig's list for furniture but don't have much time to shop around, although I will check out a few local used office furniture stores. I have three high-quality solid wood bookcases I bought off craig's last year for $35 each and always intended to stain a little darker. I don't care for oak but they're so strong that I couldn't pass them up. So, I can use those, but still need a desk, etc. I'd like furniture that's a little nicer than what's at the big box office stores.

Help??

{{gwi:1599317}}

{{gwi:1599318}}{{gwi:1599319}}
{{gwi:1599320}}{{gwi:1599321}}

Comments (16)

• graywings123
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My home office is slightly smaller than yours. I have a Hooker four piece desk set, three book cases with drawers and doors and a writing desk coming out from the middle piece. I am unable to access the Hooker website at the moment to show you a similar one.

I love what I did in the closet. I removed the single wire shelf and installed a Closetmaid shelf track system adding two additional shelves and the original clothes hanging shelf. It is so functional. I have the paper shredder stored in there, a tool box, office supplies, camera, etc.

(I'd take a photo, but the room is an absolute mess right now.)

Your corner unit looks nice, but there doesn't appear to be any file storage in it, and the top area looks mainly decorative. I have two drawers of lateral files in my set-up.

• mimi_2006
    16 years ago

I honestly think if you're wanting to spread out and work that you're going to feel a little cramped with that style desk. You have that one blank wall where you could really spread out. My space is a little smaller but I'm going to show you the pic just to give you the idea. Mine is big box office store furniture but you could go nicer and still be more spread out by getting the mix and match pieces made of cherry or whatever wood you like. I've seen this in furniture stores and it's nicer than the office store stuff like mine. We also looked at a similar piece to your picture for DH's office but he also said it felt a little cramped and he chose a big executive style desk with a lateral file cabinet instead. After seeing his arrangement, I still think mine is more functional. Good luck to you, there's a LOT of options for home offices out there now.

DH's executive desk

• goldgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for your help!

I just spent some time at a local furniture store that has quite a few pieces on display from Sligh, Hooker, etc. so I could compare quality and design. I'm a little biased toward Sligh, because I owned one of their desks previously and really liked it. Just wish it were a little less pricey.

After seeing things in person, I think you're right, Mimi, about being cramped. I forgot to mention that I need space for both a desktop computer system and a laptop. So now I'm thinking a separate desk (open, deep space for study, laptop and filing drawers on both sides) and computer credenza (for my desktop system) might make more sense.

I think there would be room for both as long as I don't buy a gigantic desk. The owner suggested that I leave off the hutch in save some money, since it's really just decorative and runs almost as much as the desks. I do love the way it looks though - make the room look complete.

I like this arrangement. Of course, they just had to put
    a Golden on the page to make me like it even more!

{{gwi:1599324}}

• oceanna
    16 years ago

I think my inclination would be to start out with something simple, discover your needs, then replace it with a good piece. Another thought to keep in mind is will what you get go around corners and fit through the door? I had a gorgeous computer armoire in my last house. It's sitting in my garage right now because it wouldn't make it into this room.

Another thought -- have you looked in your Craigslist for a few weeks? You never know what might turn up there and saving $ is always a good thing.

• goldgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey oceanna - Glad you posted because I completely forgot about space. Guess what? All the desks I'm liking are too big (even with the top removed) to fit through the door.

Thanks for preventing a major mistake ;)

• oceanna
    16 years ago

You're very welcome! Whew, huh? lol!

I have a thread started on home offices in the Gallery. Have you looked at it? I'll be adding more pictures.

• prairiegirlz5
    16 years ago

I'm loving the light coming in your windows!

My DD will be moving back downstairs soon (our basement flooded), then I get to make her room into MY home office. I am so excited about getting my own space.

Have you thought of putting the desk parallel to the closets, facing out towards the door? I would play with the folding tables (great for right this minute), and see how different layouts "feel" in there. I personally prefer not turning my back to the door or windows. What do you plan to use the closets for? (Do they have to stay closets?)

• goldgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

prairie - DH said the same thing about the desk direction as he, too, likes to face out toward the door. I think you're both right about that.

I'd like the closets to stay closets in case we ever move, but I can certainly put in organizer systems, filing cabinets, etc. DH's office (he works out of the house) is downstairs and we have a large closet where we store most of our office supplies, but I'd like to keep what I need upstairs with me.

Originally, DH set up his office in the living room (he has a massive desk, etc.) and I put a makeshift office in a bonus room off the kitchen. Over time, we've decided that we need our living room back, so he's moving into the bonus room and I'm moving upstairs, where I'll have more quiet to study.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    16 years ago

You could also skirt the tables and buy 3/4" plywood for the top. Stain it whatever. I have this in my studio and it's highly functional, and looks good. I use lots of flat space but I love hiding stuff under the table for a streamlined look. The plywood is heavy enough it doesn't need to be attached.

• judithn
    16 years ago

Congrats on your decision to law school! I think it's great. It's never too late, you know? I can relate a little because I'm another mid-40's newspaper and magazine journo and in the next year or two I'll be in a graduate psych. program. Been at home with the kids and freelancing for years so setting up home writing offices is a bit of an obsession.

Here's what I like about mine. STORAGE. Writing and I suspect legal studies are very paper intensive. In my case, research, interviews, notebooks, magazines, etc. gather with amazing speed in my space. Chaos ensues. But when I'm working on a big piece I need to think and chaos makes it hard to focus. Closed storage is really important to me. I like everything behind doors. I don't want to see it.

I hate the look of filing cabinets. So bulky. So square. But files do accumulate everywhere. I found a wonderful bench window seat bench at IKEA upholstered in white canvas. It opens on two hinges and is about 60" long. I think the bench and the slipcover cost about $100 together. I outfitted the bench with hanging file folder from Staples (about $7-8 for the hanging hardware) and all the files are there. The bench is pretty and useful. All my friends have borrowed this idea. You could customize the slipcover to match your room if you wanted too.

Hidden storage for desk top stuff. Staplers, white-out, yellow stickies, little pink stickies, note pads, pens, pencils, stapler, paper clips, etc. etc. I love to have it within instant reach and don't want to look at it on the desk top. All mine are in a cabinet where I can grab them when I need them. Again, if you don't watch out, they're just clutter. I buy duplicates of all these things by the way and have them in various places around the house. I think some people might say I have a teensy hoarding problem with office supplies.

Speaking of office supplies, one of my favorite organizing tools is my label maker. Oh, I LOVE labels. Ideally you can label the fronts of the shelves in your closed storage. I also label boxes that I use to corral things in closed storage. Boxes might be labeled "office supplies," "art supplies," "printer paper," etc. Another thing I do is when I am done with an article I archive the research material. Archive boxes can be labeled by publication or subject -- what ever works for you.

A special problem for writers is clippings. I have a wooden trunk that I use for a coffee table and all my clippings go in there. It's not the best system though. I also keep back issues of publication in the trunk. Some day, I promise myself, I'm going to work out a better way of archiving clippings. The other thing is that people ask for copies of clips. Not sure how much writing you'll be doing but if you can set up scanned files of all your work you can e-mail everything to people. It saves so much time, postage, hassle, etc.

I also like a big workspace to lay out all my sources and notebooks while I'm working. Seriously, those little desks you're considering would not be enough room for me. In the past, when I need more room I bring the ironing board down and use that for extra space. It's perfect and you can elevate it to whatever level works for you. Very handy portable table in a pinch. My idea workspace is something about 6 - 7 feet long and about 24" wide, like a stretch of kitchen counter. Maybe you don't need to spread paperwork out like I do but I find when working with multiple sources and streams of thought being able to make piles and place things in piles helps me organize my work.

The chair. The big thing is to get a chair with wheels. You can scoot around which is not just for fun but it saves you from having to get up so much.

Window treatments. This is another thing that's really important if you're using a computer. I like daylight but not glare and I use light filtering shades to keep the level of light steady. Also, I hate working at night and looking out into the dark -- a little paranoid too about giving anyone a good look at me -- and so moving window treatments -- not just a decorative scarf -- are important.

I think your office should be exactly the way you like it. Art work, candles, CD-player, inspirational objects, whatever you like can go in there. I also have a big sofa in mine. The better to take an inspirational nap every now and again..

Good luck!

Closed storage is a necessity for me.

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

I'm watching this thread closely since my work area needs to be revamped badly! Thanks for starting it, Goldgirl!

Judithn, do you have any photos you could share? I especially like your idea for file storage!

• goldgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Judithn - Wow, you really get what I'm trying to do...small world! I'm running out the door but will post more later. Great ideas from everyone - thanks!

• teacats
    16 years ago

I vote for more "spreading it out" work surface too!

Very very paper intensive work demands LOTS of room -- and LOADS of storage!

Yes -- the wonderful home office section that Oceanna posted on the Gallery side of this forum is simply wonderful!!!

Also -- do check check out some of the home office created by HGTV -- simply by buying two-drawer file cabinets -- and adding long lengths of ready-made countertop materials. LOTS of spreading out room!

Also -- don't forget to make room for electrical cords! We have a true hideous MESS of cords in our office that is shoved behind some equipment BUT you might want to think ahead -- and bundle them up with labels!

Also -- LIGHTING is crucial. Do add LOTS of lamps of all shapes and sizes ..... !

• johnatemp
    16 years ago

I just wanted to say congrats for entering law school.

My BIL just graduated at age 49 - so started about the same age as you. He owned a wine shop in the beginning of law school also. He worked and studied his butt off....well, not off - added a belly!! Gotta go buy all new professional clothes.

I will be watching this thread, too. I have a L-shaped work space (not as nice as the one you posted) and you walk right into the cords under the desk - yucky!! It is getting kinda ancient so I need to update it but real low on the priority list as it is functional.

Smiles:)

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    16 years ago

Hey Goldgirl,

I'm not much of a decorator (mostly lurk here to learn as much as I possibly can) but I also went to law school at age 46 so thought I'd mention a few things you might want to think about in planning your office space:

First, in my experience, the most successful law students always had at least one or two "study partners" that they studied with regularly, especially right before exams. (Ever see the movie "Paper Chase"?) I know you may be thinking "I'll be so much older than the other students and I'm really used to working by myself so I probably won't bother with study partners." I thought the same thing but then almost immediately teamed up with a young man fresh out of undergrad and a woman who was a couple of years older than myself. Both happened to sit near me in my first-year Torts class and the study partner thing just sort of happened. To this day though, I remain eternally grateful that I teamed up with them because their different learning styles and viewpoints made a major difference in how well I did. During first-year especially the three of us practically lived together and I'm not sure I'd have made it through that year without them.

So, if at all possible, plan your office space with the idea that a couple of other people will likely be there studying with you fairly regularly... oftentimes late into the night or even all night.

If your office happens to be next to the room where your DH will be sleeping, take pity on him and put something soft and sound-absorbing on both sides of the common wall - and move the master bed as far away from that wall as possible! You might also make sure there is some sort of white-noise generator in the bedroom with him... or else buy him a big box of those really soft ear plugs and get him in the habit of sleeping with them in place! I took over our formal dining room as my study space and, although it was clear across our house and on a different floor from our MBR, my study partners and I still managed to wake DH on more than one occasion when our arguments got just a little too passionate. (Arguing passionately without getting personal/angry was one of the many things I had to learn in law school. LOL!)

Instead of a fancy desk, I'd recommend a nice large dining room table with one of its short sides pushed up against a wall that has plenty of electrical outlets and computer connections. You can stack a 3 foot tall bookcase against the wall on top of the table to hold a semester's worth of textbooks plus dictionaries, writing supplies, extra paper, etc.

Other than that, you won't need much bookcase space. because now-a-days no one purchases "law books" [a.k.a. case law or statute books] the way students used to have to do. All that stuff is now available online via Westlaw and Lexis Nexis and both companies provide law students with free accounts because they want you to be very comfortable (dependent upon) using their services by the time you join a firm or hang out your own shingle. Then the accounts cease to be free.

A small filing cabinet for filing away class handouts, etc., is probably a good idea though. I'd probably tuck that under the table so it was out of the way.

Then, around the three open sides of the table, I'd put three or four very comfortable padded upright chairs so that you and your study partners all have somewhere to sit. Regular dining room chairs are okay for short study sessions but, trust me, they start to wear on the coccyx after about 4 or 5 hours. Spend money on comfortable chairs - you're going to log a lot of hours in whatever you select.

Also, put a comfy couch or lazyboy chair in the room. Or at least put some big cushy floor pillows and a nice blanket in one corner. Trust me, there'll be times when you or one of your study partners will be desperate to grab 40 winks while the others are looking something up on Westlaw. Plus, when you study till 4:00 a.m., you may not want to risk waking DH by crawling into bed at that hour.

Next, make sure that you have PLENTY of light that can be appropriately angled to shine onto whatever you're reading and not up into your eyes. Your eyes will take enough punishment without dealing with inadequate lighting. And don't be at all surprised if you very suddenly find yourself needing bifocals. Don't know if it was mid-life hormones or all the reading but I had to have my vision prescription changed about three times my first year.

Also make sure your computer monitor has a non-glare screen. For the sake of your eyes, I'd heartily recommend a very high-quality flat-panel monitor in the largest size you can afford.

In addition to your computer, make sure you have a good, relatively high-speed printer. You won't need color - go instead for speedier B&W model. And, if possible, have a second backup printer somewhere in the house because, invariably, at some point you will have a time-limited take-home exam and your printer will decide to give up the ghost an hour before the deadline to turn the d--- thing in! It's like printers (and copiers and fax machines) KNOW when you're under a time crunch. LOL!

Speaking of printers, think about where you're going to toss all the excess paper you'll be generating. (Big trash can or recycling box?)

Unless your kitchen is right around the corner from your office, see if you can't convert one of those closets into a little "kitchen nook" with room for a coffee pot, a dorm-sized fridge for sodas, and a snack cupboard. If you can't put in plumbing for the nook, get a water cooler so you don't have to traipse to the kitchen to make coffee and then go back again to get it when it is finally ready.

Put a big white-board on one wall. I know they're not at all decorative but they are so terribly useful. I still can't live without mine and most of the associates in my law firm have one up in their offices.

Oh, and if you're at all interested in becoming a litigator - as opposed to a transactional attorney - during your second and third year you'll want to get active in moot court and mock trial. If so, you should put a full-sized mirror up on one wall of your so you can see yourself as you practice your presentations.

Hope some of this proves helpful. I know it is not "decorating advice" as such but...

Good luck with law school! It's quite an adventure and one that many women our ages would be terrified to undertake. Proud of you and, if I can ever offer any advice/help specific to being one of the OWLS (older, wiser, law-students), feel free to email me.

bevangel_72 at yahoo.com

• goldgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You all are the best!

DH and I visited several traditional furniture stores, office specialty stores with new and used pieces and IKEA today. I'm now leaning toward buying an inexpensive modular IKEA desk I like that's attractive, sturdy and has lots of space, to get me started.

The traditional office setups I love are expensive and I don't want to spend a big chunk of money only to realize after starting school that it's not quite right. As several of you suggested, I can get settled in, play around with configurations and replace it later. Like after graduation LOL.

Keep those ideas coming. I'm really getting inspired to paint!