Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
estreya_gw

I think i'm messing up my paint job. Advise? (Pics)

estreya
15 years ago

Hello, paint experts! I'm trying to paint some wooden inserts on my stair pillars, and i seem to have made a huge mess of things. This is what i've done so far:

1. Taped off the area and sanded the wooden inserts down to bare wood (there was a thick shiny varnish or something over the wood and i thought it best to sand it down before priming).

2. Wiped down the sanded wood with a damp rag and let it dry overnight.

3. Painted with primer and became horrified at the apparent impossibility of getting a coat that doesn't show every stroke or touch of the brush. Did all four sides of each pillar even though i was pretty sure i was screwing up.

4. Came to the forum for help.

I've painted walls before and didn't run into this problem. Have i really screwed this up? Could i be using the wrong brush? Where do i go from here? Perhaps a light sanding to smooth it out some before applying another coat of primer, and ultimately paint?

I'm not happy with myself at the moment, and i don't want to compound my error. Pics attached.

{{gwi:1571188}}

{{gwi:1571189}}

{{gwi:1571191}}

{{gwi:1571192}}

Comments (7)

• sierraeast
    15 years ago

Looks fine, imo. You have to remember that is primer and it's not going to go on smooth and even like the top coats. Before you top coat, you might want to take care of those gaps in the mitered trim with caulking,(not too much), dampen your finger, and work the caulk in smooth. You also want to make sure you are using a quality brush but judging by the pics, it looks like you are on track. Some of the pros here might advise different, but lookin' good!

• estreya
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for your response, Sierraeast! It eases my mind to know i haven't gone completely awry. I'll certainly fill those corners before i proceed.

• ambitiousbeginner
    15 years ago

estreya, What color are your walls? Lovrly color.

• estreya
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, Ambitiousbeginner! It looks a little washed out on my monitor, but it's a pretty neutral in person. The marking on my can of touch-up paint is 8232W, which a google search reveals to be "Lulled Beige."

http://www.myperfectcolor.com/Match-of-Color-Guild-8232W-Lulled-Beige-p/mpc0013801.htm

• ambitiousbeginner
    15 years ago

estreya,

I went to the website but it does not state whether its SW or BM. I just love that color. Does your can mention brand? Thanks in advance

• estreya
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm so happy you like the color! Thank you.

Unfortunately, i don't have an answer for you. I got my can of touch-up by taking a little piece of the wall (a piece was cut out to put in an outlet) to Miller Paint. They did the little wiz-bang-boom color match thing, and that's what came up. They filled a can with the match.

Admittedly, when this home was built, i was completely ignorant about the different character and quality to paint (if only i were a GardenWeb member then!). I'm guessing the builder cut corners and used an inexpensive paint, since they did cut many corners in other ways.

I know that's no help at all. But thank you for the compliment. It's so nice to hear.

• slateberry
    15 years ago

I am *not* an expert, but a couple of things I've learned from finishing wood with polyurethane (totally different from what you're doing) may apply:

1-apply multiple thin coats

2-sand between coats

This is supposed to give a smoother finish. I think with paint, I'd keep my initial coats thinner and lightly sand (wipe away dust well) after each, then, for the final coat, do it a little thicker so it doesn't have that dry-brushed look, yet not so thick that you get sags or drips.

On the kitchens forum, painting cabinets, people swear about adding floetrol to paint to make it lay down smoother on the cabinet faces. Not sure if you have to go that far though.