Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chicoryflower

Who Wants to Go Art Shopping?

chicoryflower
16 years ago

I've been having a ball with shopping galleries online, and I thought it might be a hoot to post favorites in a thread.

I figured I could kick it off with this one... Briana Linden.

Disclaimer: I don't know this person and I don't own any of her art. : )

Here is a link that might be useful: Briana Linden

Comments (25)

• Molly Brown
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I like her work because it's very different. Thanks for sharing.

Here's a blog I check everyday because this artist does a small painting a day, believe it or not, and I really like the way she paints.
    Also, I don't know her either and I don't have any of her work, altho maybe someday I'll pick one out for my birthday or something....

Here is a link that might be useful: painting a day

• chicoryflower
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, that's amazing. I should start a blog like that.

That'd get me motivated. $$$

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

I've kept meaning to pick up a Charles Harper from eBay and I never do and never do...then we saw one in a house last weekend and I thought I MUST get one! Someday soon.

Here is a link that might be useful: my dd would love this one, so don't bid on it :)

• nanmeade
    16 years ago

I would like one of these by Karen Hollingsworth:

{{gwi:1600268}}

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

I am up for shopping. Here are two prints that I own by Annora Spence. I love her prints because they are so fun.

"Walking the Dog"

"Red Bus"

My siblings told me that when I die nobody will fight over my artwork. lol

Here is a link that might be useful: Annora Spence

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

I don't know this person but I own their art.

• kats
    16 years ago

I really like wildlife art. I guess maybe because these animals roam my streets. It reminds me of the area I live in.

My kitchen backsplash was made by this artist.....
    http://www.wildlandimages.com/fariad/NewReleases/go

And I have 3 of Lindsey's prints .....
    "Golden Lookout", my favorite is "In Search of Spring" and I also have "Mountain Home".
    http://lindseyfoggett.com/Bear_Prints.html

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

Kitchenkelly, I love your pictures. They are fun and colorful and very interesting. Thanks for the link. I will look at the links of the other posters tomorrow since I am tired.

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

Kats, despite being so tired I got curious. I love "In Search of Spring" and the other prints that Lindsey captured of the beautiful bear. Thank you for the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lindsey's Prints

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

KitchenKelly, I just love the leash hooks that are doggies facing one another. Great art that is usable! Thanks for sharing.

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

Kats, I am bookmarking that great site with the beautiful kitchen backsplashes. Thanks for sharing.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen backsplash was made by this artist.....

• livvyandbella
    16 years ago

I love the Annora Spence. They are fun! My daughter would love them.
    Are they expensive?
    Barb

• lkplatow
    16 years ago

kitchenkelly -- I'd fight for your artwork - I think it's adorable. Feel free to include me in your will, LOL!

I have 2 prints from this artist - I love them because they're fun! Here's one - I don't see the other one on her website anymore.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rebecca Duffy

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

lynn2006, thanks. I think the leash hooks are cute, too. Everyone comments on them. The "Walking the Dog" print is in the same hallway.

Barb, the prints aren't expensive at all. It is just the darned framing that gets the price up there. I bought a few of the prints (much smaller) at JoAnn Fabrics for about $20 that were framed.

(Before viewing, tilt your head to the right.)

lkplatlow, you are in the will! Actually, just come to the garage sale after my departure. I am sure my artwork will be "buy one for $3 and take the rest for free!) I really like the Rebecca Duffy prints. Just looked at all of them.

• lynne_melb
    16 years ago

I like all of the ones that have been shown.

Lynn, can I see a pic of your backsplash? I don't recall seeing it.

Thanks
    Lynne

• alex9179
    16 years ago

I have these from the artist below. Mine are prints of his pencils, but he works in watercolor and oil as well. The detail is just amazing IRL.

{{gwi:1600278}}
    {{gwi:1600280}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Huffman

• daisyadair
    16 years ago

I've always loved those Annora Spence prints. I've never heard of Karen Hollingsworth, but that picture is stunning.

Two of my favorites: A Bill Turner that I have over my mantle:

{{gwi:1600282}}

Here's my Tom Caldwell, a local artist:

And,just for fun, one of my Roybals:

{{gwi:1600284}}

• mimi_2006
    16 years ago

I don't have it, I don't even have a pet, but I always thought this was a cute print. "Master Bedroom" by Andrew Wyeth.

Redsox...that Hollingsworth is beautiful. And the painting-a-day elenkao posted is very cool too. Fun thread!

• jerseygirl_1
    16 years ago

Flyleft,

Good Morning America just did a segment on Charles Harper this morning. Todd Oldham took an interest in his art and in him.

That print's price may rise quite a bit after the segment.

• johnatemp
    16 years ago

Oh, great post!! I am enjoying it, so.

I am getting this rooster....a childhood friend of my DH's ....
    {{gwi:1600288}}

I also collect Leon Danchin's. He is a french artist who does sporting dogs, birds, some horses, etc
    I have this one...
    {{gwi:1600290}}
    And this is a very large one that I want, want, want!!
    {{gwi:1600292}}

Smiles:)

Here is a link that might be useful: Johnny Taylor

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

Aw man, jerseygirl...the Dwell mag piece was bad enough. I've kept putting it off...and watching the prices rise...he died last year, which only compounds it...

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

mimi_2006, I just love that print with the dog sleeping on the bed so much.

Alex9179, I love bird prints.

daisyadair, I love that print that is fun with all those cartoon people with the roundish heads.

Johnatemp, I love the dog prints also.

lkpaltow, I love that Octopus print for a child's bedroom or a room where you want to add some fun. It is cute and so unique.

lynn_melb, I do not have a backsplash but was trying to help others see the link that Kats posted that I love.

chicoryflower, I love that poster of the bird in that pretty blue but I would have nowhere for it in my home but I am so glad you started this thread.

I really love some of these fun prints and unique and detailed prints and will consider some of these artists to help me add some pictures to my client bathroom and guest bathroom.

Thank you everyone!

• DLM2000-GW
    16 years ago

I saw that Charles Harper segment on CBS Sunday Morning today - one of my favorite shows. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the price go up.

Ignorant question here......is there a difference between a "print" and a "poster"? I have a couple of paintings, a giclee or two but some of what hangs in my house is what I consider to be framed posters. Is this semantics or is there a difference?

• bettycbowen
    16 years ago

First of all, I love this thread.

Prints vs posters - the most important difference to learn really is between original and reproduction. I am a woodcut printmaker, my MFA is in printmaking - one of my pieces is a print - but it is an original multiple (I carve the block and print it). If I took photographs of it and had it reproduced in bulk, it would still be called a print, but it would no longer be an original, EVEN if I signed it!

Lots and lots of galleries sell what they call original prints, but which are actually reproductions of an original. Some states have legal definitions for the word "print", most don't.

If the piece you are looking at is definitely a reproduction (you know there is an original painting hanging somewhere), then the difference between a print and a painting is almost a bit silly - if it has words printed on it somewhere - like the artists name and the name of the gallery for instance, then it is a poster. If not, it might be called a print. Sometimes these are done on the same print run, same paper, plus a few notecards thrown into the margins, then cut apart for different purposes. A marketing ploy. Often the artist will sign it if it is to be called a print. Don't let the dealer tell you it will ever increase in value. A reproduction almost never will ever ever increase significantly in value for a resale market. Maxfield Parrish perhaps, if they had been printed on decent paper (which they weren't).

The first image in this thread - the blue bird, looks to me like a vigorously drawn drypoint etching - love it - but I can only tell if it is an original if I see it in person. It might be a reproduced photograph (like a Giclee) of the original etching. You can only print a very limited number of drypoints before the plate starts to show wear, so expect the edition size to be small - like under 100 - This is the real original reason for edition sizes and numbering. In this case a print near the beginning of the run might be sharper than the end of the run, although the edition should be stopped before any real wear appears. Edition sizes and numbering on reproductions is just basically silly and invented by galleries. It is ultimately totally meaningless.

Nowadays it is even harder, since giclee's are of such high quality (very simply a word invented for a high-end inkjet print). Also, many artists are using Gecco (kind of an automated silkscreen) to make originals which they can reproduce in unlimited quantities. Gecco started out as a much larger office machine, similar to the way stone lithography and silkscreen also have industrial roots.

So, what you need to know - the main thing is - do you like it, and do you think it is a fair price. It is important to me that people know what they are buying. It makes me sad when somebody shows me their new "signed original limited edition print" that a dealer swore would increase in value, and it is just a reproduction. Usually they paid far more for it than they could have gotten a true original print.

Original prints are the best buy on the art market right now. Seriously. For a few hundred dollars you can have a collection of all originals from serious artists. Etsy has many very very good ones. Just be wary of things on Ebay. Very very often those prints are torn from old books. You are better off elsewhere, unless you really know what you are looking for. There is a printmaker from the 50's I shop for on Ebay, but I'm pretty secure in what I'm doing.

keep learning, keep buying art!

• heylady_2007
    16 years ago

Chicory - I love Briana Linden's work. I'll put her on my wish list.

-Here's a link to John Akers copperplate etchings of wild life. I love his birds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Artist John Akers

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County