Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimbery35042

does anyone have a pool/game room? Please post pics!

kimbery35042
14 years ago

Hi -- I've never posted before but you guys are so creative and helpful and I really, really need some creativity help! We have a downstairs finished basement with a reddish stamped concrete floor and (for the moment) medium confederate grey/blue walls with white trim. I'm thinking of painting BM Kingsport Grey but it seems very dark. I have a test wall so I'll send some pics.

Does anyone else have a finished basement game room they could share for inspiration? Right now mine is full of dogs and dog beds, but one day....

Comments (20)

• kimbery35042
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Having trouble with pictures--will post soon. Thanks for any and all help!
    Kim

• Sueb20
    14 years ago

I don't have pictures of mine, but we did a kitchen/family room addition a few years ago that also gave us an extra room in our basement -- it is one step down from our basement playroom, and between the rooms is a 4' wide doorway (without a door). We have a medium-wood pool table with dark green felt. We used our old kitchen base cabinets along one wall, topped w/ a piece of laminate counter, which is great for storage. The carpet is a beige/tan berber and the walls are BM Soft Fern, which is one of my favorite BM colors. We have only one full-size window in the entire basement, so it's a dark space, so wall color had to be light. We also use the "pool room" for exercise and music practice (perfect place for the kids to play instruments they're learning!). I have to say, I envisioned the room as more of a fun and funky "adult playroom" but we rarely use it that way. The pool table gets used maybe 15 days out of the year. Sigh. But DH had to have it...

• igloochic
    14 years ago

I didn't buy this house, but if it helps, here's a pic of a pool room we considered (ok we considered the entire house LOL but the pool room was cool).

{{!gwi}}

For what it's worth...let me repeat my annoying decorating slogan....

EMBRACE YOUR DARK SIDE!!

One of the reasons we loved this basement is that it was dark, with low ceilings and dark walls....and yummy even with the red shag :) If they had kept up the rest of the house we might have bought it LOL But this room was cool.

• indygo
    14 years ago

Here's ours. It's a long, daylight basement with a t.v. area at the other end:

{{!gwi}}

The accent wall is audubon russet and the rest of the basement is nomadic desert.

• crescent50
    14 years ago

Not my room and it is actually a bonus room space but I love the dark color and the way they finished the back wall. I could definitely see doing this in a basement.

http://www.dongardner.com/images.aspx?pid=565&fn=interiors%5c753bonus.jpg

• kimbery35042
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, thank you!

Sueb20, we don't have kids at home and this truly is an extra playroom. I'll buy the pool table off CL and if we don't use it or if its in the way, I'll get rid of it. I've honestly thought air hockey would be as much fun but like you, DH really wants one. (What does DH actually stand for??)

Indygogirl -- An accent wall is a GREAT idea that I hadn't thought of. I LOVE your room! Do you have a pic of the other side with the tv?

And Crescent50 -- what a COOL bonus room! Way more light though than this basement. You've got to love that built in bookcase with the plasma in the middle. I was trying to figure out how to fit a sectional in there but I don't think there is room. It would be cool to have the finished built in wall with a bar in front of it!

igloochic -- I LOVE that red room! REminds me just a bit of graceland!

Can anyone tell me exactly how to get pics in this message? Do you have to post to photobucket first or is there another way?

• Sueb20
    14 years ago

DH = Damn Husband. Oops, I mean Darling Husband. (Right? Or is it Dear Husband? Well, one of those endearing names.)

One thing we have for our pool table is a cover that converts it to a ping pong table, which one of my sons uses (w/ his friends) more than the pool table. Kind of nice to have.

• msu_girl
    14 years ago

We finished our walkout last year and were finally able to use it over the holidays. Everyone loves the pool table! We don't use it a ton, but I don't care since we have the space, bought it on CL for a song and had no delusions of using it weekly. We repurposed a table and chairs set from the seventies for playing cards/games.

I still need to buy bar stools (borrowed the kitchen stools for the party.) Otherwise, we are pretty close to done.

• busybee3
    14 years ago

i will try to take and figure out how to post pics ... but our pool table is in basement and i love it. hub doesn't use it much nd i use it even less, but we are happy to have it. the kids(teenage boys) always use it esp when friends are over and the guys usually make it downstairs when we have people over.....would be even better if we had the room on the main level!

• kimbery35042
    Original Author
    14 years ago

MSU Girl -- OMG that is INCREDIBLE, a little basement apartment! Do you happen to know the dimensions of your room?

I just went downstairs and took pics of the basement room. My darling husband put me up a temporary flourescent light so I could see to paint. We bought a "short sale" and I think the pool light was replaced by a single 60 watt bulb. To add insult to injury, there is no sunshine in Alabama anymore -- well at least not on the weekend when I'm actually home to see my house with natural light! I'll see if I can get these posted here in a minute.

Thanks to everyone!

• hoyamom
    14 years ago

Here is our long basement which is a walk up not walk out. We have french doors that lead outside but up some steep stairs. We have sectioned the room into the TV viewing area, the game area, and the pool table area.

• kimbery35042
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Another GREAT Room! I'm struggling with paint color and have test paint BM Kingsport Grey and a Brown HC19 that I'm not as fond of. I was in the egg and i last week and their yellow top and black beadboard was very nice and got me thinking that might be good downstairs. Not sure.

I was able to upload some pics onto picasa web -- I'll try to upload. Please excuse dog beds.

• kimbery35042
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ok -- i feel like a total idiot-- I'm kindof tech savvy but CANNOT POST THE PICTURES!!!!

here is the link:

http://picasaweb.google.com/109853676164769043933/BasementGameRoom#

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

I don't know how to resize but use this for your other photos. Sorry, on a new laptop and don't have photoshop installed.

Put your image location link (change the upper case JPG to jpg-lower case) where the 3 Xs are in this string below.

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

OOOPS the string posted as a blank pic...email me and I will send it to you.

VampiressRN@aol.com

• kimbery35042
    Original Author
    14 years ago

pics?? Fingers crossed!!

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

YEAH! Hey Kim that is going to be an awesome room...I love the colors and the columns.

Pulled this pic off the net, but when I convert part of my garage into a game room, I want this kind of an English Pub look.

{{!gwi}}

• hoyamom
    14 years ago

Oh I love the blue. Is that the color you are going with?

• kimbery35042
    Original Author
    14 years ago

you know, its strange. I liked the blue when we moved in last year but not so much now. I think I want neutral -- leaning toward BM Kingsport Grey but I probably need to decide on what look I want when its finished. Some great ideas so far -- keep them coming!

And a HUGE thanks to Marlene aka vampiressrn for helping me post pics!!!