Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kjmama_gw

What is comfort in the home?

kjmama
13 years ago

My DH and I were trying to think through rooms, places where we were comfortable and what made the comfortable. (Trying to bring comfort to our new to us home)

Would you like to join our discussion? Can you think of a room you found comfortable? What made it so?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Comments (26)

• User
    13 years ago

A comfortable chair or sofa to sit upon. . . A place to put your feet up . . . Natural light, but also a light next to the seating for reading or handwork . . .a table within arms' length to put a drink on. Those are the basics, for me. But I would also add: a color palette that is harmonious, fabrics that are comfortable, French doors, fireplaces, bookcases filled with books, and flowers in vases.

• sconway11324
    13 years ago

I feel that kswl just described me. My comfort place is my library. French doors invite me in. The wall color relaxes me, the books invite me to read. A table next to my comfy leather chair to place my drink, a light for reading, and an ottoman for my feet...ah! If I knew how to post pictures I would. But, contrary to kswl, I chose to partially close the window and limit the natural light. Just heaven.

• User
    13 years ago

One of my requirements for sofas is that they are long enough, inside the arms, for me to be able to stretch out horizontally. My most comfortable place is wherever the sofa is located. Sofas and naps....

• Sueb20
    13 years ago

I just posted this pic on the "where have you been?" thread. This room was our dining room, the usual setup with table and china cabinet... which we rarely used. So we sold the dining room furniture and got a loveseat, 2 "dining" chairs, and a leather club chair, all gathered around a round antique table. On another wall are two large Stickley bookcases. I am finding that, this winter, this is my favorite and most comfortable room. I think it's a combination of the really soft loveseat (I'm short so I can almost lay down on it), the well-worn table, and a recently-added large basket of yarn and knitting needles, as I recently re-discovered knitting. I also love the wall color and the collection of books and travel mementos that are displayed on the shelves (not shown).

I also need to have a throw/blanket in every room of my house! Also, what I call "flexible" lighting -- lamps with 3-way switches -- and ottomans. I have an ottoman fetish, I think. ;)

• Jamie
    13 years ago

Upholstered furniture that handles sitters well. That is, a form that either doesn't dent or looks good dented, and a fabric that can handle dirt. Case goods with surfaces you can set things down on without constant worry.

• bonniee818
    13 years ago

Layers of things such as rugs, pretty pillows of the sofa, good comfortable sofa, drapes or WT such as plantation shutters or blinds, family pics in small table top frames around the room, coasters for drinks, decorating books :), a soft serene color scheme, good lighting with 3 way bulbs, etc. Also for chairs in our FR we have upholstered ones instead of a wood frame kind. Guests can sink in and relax. Lots of good ideas on this thread and for everyone I think it will be a different answer. Bonnie

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

Some things like fireplaces, throws and pillows add coziness to a room no matter how it is decorated.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

For me:
    extra usable pillows (for bed and for the living room)

dim lights at night and natural light in the daytime

our sons' artwork

pretty colors, the more perky/happy, the better

a great tub

unpretentious kitchen

things to put one's feet up on

• lolauren
    13 years ago

I think the most comfy place in my house is my office. I put a daybed in it that has tons of throw pillows and a throw blanket. It's so comfortable to do my studying/reading sprawled out on it. :)

The other thing that I thought about for this time of year is... ANY PLACE warm!

sueb20 ............. I looooooooooooooooooooooove your idea. We have a new house, but I am wondering how much we'll use our dining table and/or what to do with that space instead. Does your dining room open up to another room that also has comfy seating or is it separate?

• Sueb20
    13 years ago

lolauren, my DR opens up to the foyer from one doorway and to the kitchen on another. We have a sitting room/family room open to the kitchen, but it's a much more open, airy space, not really "cozy". And we have the living room off of that room, which is a cozy room, too, but that is where the TV is. The dining room is my best cozy space away from the TV!

• Oakley
    13 years ago

For me it's home furnishings that don't scream "expensive" with perfect accessories everywhere. As if the room was staged.

I know recliners are pooh poohed here, but give me a recliner any day of the week so I can watch my dh sleep after a hard day's work, or me rock a grandbaby to sleep and have a place to set a bottle, burp cloth, my drink, etc.

My dh would want another wife if I ever tried taking his recliner away. lol

One more thing, a "real" working fireplace, one that burns wood, and you can tell by the hearth the FP is actually used. I can't believe we went this long without one!

• lynxe
    13 years ago

Functionality, which many posters have alluded to or which is implicit in their posts. Thus: things do what they're supposed to do. Lighting is appropriate for its use. Ditto, furniture. Furniture is the right size/dimensions for people. Ease of access in and around a room or to other places in the house. Things that should be soft, like pillows, upholstery, carpets & rugs, towels, etc., are in fact soft. Things that should be smooth and/or clear, like tabletops, mirrors, wood floors, etc. are that way. Tables are wide enough. There is room next to or near chairs or sofas for end tables, coffee tables, ottomans, and so on. Lines of sight, such as from furniture to the TV, to a beautiful outside view, to art, to a baby's room or children's play area, are good. Counters are of the right height. Ergonomics at play -- knobs, cabinet pulls, etc. are easy to use. Light switches and outlets where needed. Windows can be opened & closed easily. Systems, like heating, air conditioning, etc. are efficient and do their jobs. Etc.

• yayagal
    13 years ago

For me, I prefer smaller rooms for coziness. My family room is quite large but we have a big hearth and wood stove so that adds to the warmth plus deep comfy chairs and wood floors with oriental rugs, lot of art work and lamps, throws, pillows and interesting artifacts collected through the years. My favorite spot is on my down couch with my big hand thrown pot lamp next to me on a table that holds all my favorite things and a basket beneath it with books, nail kit, odds and ends. I can nestle in a have every thing on hand plus a foot stool with a throw nearby, who could ask for more.

• Jamie
    13 years ago

How could I forget the thing that makes me uneasiest of all: window(s) on only one wall. I need 2 different angles of of light in a room to feel comfortable. It's difficult to find this in a moderately priced newer home.

Very difficult to find a home with multiple rooms having windows on more than one wall when you're looking for moderately priced homes. I use a lot of mirrors to compensate.

• pjtexgirl
    13 years ago

I agree with the comfortable furniture, good lighting and handy tables too. As long as there isn't too much furniture in a room. The most important for me is visually relaxing,easy access storage, everything has a place and is in it's place and a total lack of clutter visible or non-visible. Tidy and organized without being like a magazine layout or a museum. For example, doggie footprints between the weekly house keeping is ok. Having to dig for something in a storage space is not. A coffee table that needs to be wiped down sooner than later is OK. Finding a clear space to set down a snack and drink is not.
    I want to be able to feather dust, vacuum and wipe down quickly and efficiently once a week. I want to find what I'm looking for within a few seconds.
    I loathe looking for stuff! I need to be able to go into a room find the cohesion of the design to completely relax. My knick knacks are in a hutch and the rest is very spare in decorative art pieces. I sure hope that made sense to anyone but me!

• kjmama
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone. These are refreshing answers:) Back to the basics.

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

For me it's having family around me. I'm home alone so often that even the most comfortable furniture isn't the same with out some here with me.
    Today our son came over to go through some of his things and ofcourse to watch the Packers win the Superbowl. He sat in my recliner next to his Dad in his recliner. Though there were two other comfortable chairs I chose the ottoman between them because one was occupied by Mollee and I figured Tommy would soon occupy the other. He never did, but I wound up sitting on the ottoman for most of game other than the few times I came to check my mail. Mollee and Tommy are cats. My desk sits in another room but I can see the TV. Neither my desk chair or the ottoman are overly comfortable, but I was happy. So comfort means family to me.

• chloeelise
    13 years ago

This is something that I battle with because aesthetics and comfort don't always go hand in hand and I like a pretty room. However, I am working on it. I've had to force myself to make more "comfortable" choices. For instance, we just bought a BIG but cozy sectional for our family room and while to me it doesn't make my family room look as stylish as I like my family can finally all sit comfortably. Yesterday for the Superbowl we had 9 people sitting comfortably. It made having company over not as stressful and way more enjoyable, too. The right lighting is big for me and warm paint colors, too.

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

Cloeelise, I do miss our sectional. During the Superbowl last night we talked about what we'd replace ours with, we just have temp furniture in there now, but hubby said he had no idea, but he knew he didn't want another sectional. It's the Gentlemen's Parlor so the final decision is up to him. I can pretty much guarantee with him picking it out, it will be comfortable.

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

Everyone here has listed such wonderful points as to what makes a cozy room/home. It's been nice just reading through them all. I agree with everything said for kitchens, family and dining rooms . . . and SueB, I LOVE your dining room!!!
    So let me address bedrooms, as that hasn't been mentioned yet. I think that a bedroom should be a refuge. A place to get away from the daily grind, and to me, that means no desk in there as a constant reminder of work still to be done. And a bed with a good mattress, sheets and pillows. A comforter or spread that you can sit or lie down on without worrying about ruining it. Nightstands with good reading lamps (with 3-way bulbs) on both sides of the bed. A nice view from the bed, either from a window or a beautiful painting. I especially like landscapes in there for just that reason. I like a serene, romantic room, without a lot of clutter or froufrou.

• Jamie
    13 years ago

What makes me unpeaceful and uncomfortable are things that are not sturdy or not practical.

Those "great for entertaining" sliding family room doors? Unless there is an additional and more convenient access to the back yard, they make my whole family room into a mud room. Not comforting.

A cute sink that is not large enough to wash the cuter refrigerator parts? Not happy making.

A toy recirculating range vent? Irritation is made of this.

A "convenient" first floor laundry? I don't know about you, but all my dirty clothes and towels are upstairs where the bedrooms are. Why not either leave it in the basement or put it upstairs? You need a basement sink for dirty work -- otherwise the laundry room becomes the furnace filter and paint brush cleaning room.

As the keeper of the house, I can never feel comfort if I am always at odds with it, and no amount of good decorating can compensate for stuff that just doesn't flow.

• User
    13 years ago

Comfort in a home....to me, is tidy but not sterile.
    Clean, pleasing color palette, interesting decor, luxurious fabrics, lamps in bookcases, low lighting, footstools, good views from in bed, from sofa and dining, and from kitchen window (I designed my house with these views in mind foremost), objects that evoke good memories.

Comfort also means silence at times, music in the background at times, and definitely fragrance, very slight, from potpourri and clean fragrance in the warm months to vanilla or evergreen candles in the colder months.

Comfort is also convenience, the result of planning and proper utilization of your home.

• katrina_ellen
    13 years ago

I am in the process of making my little house comfortable. I thought it would be hard to accomplish because of the size, but I am trying to rethink that. For me comfort is organization. A place for everything and everything in its place. Like many posters said, a functional home. The asthetics is also important to me but if the practical things and the function is not there then it is a battle. For me the kitchen and the bathroom have to be the most important rooms to get right.

• teacats
    13 years ago

Wonderful, fascinating discussion! :)

This a topic that is very near-and-dear to my heart! :)

I am a homebody. :)

Have you been in a house where you instantly feel at home? Or perhaps one that makes you feel so unsettled and uncomfortable?

Look at the wonderful descriptions/photos/drawings of houses and homes in all kinds of literature and as settings in movies? :)

Back to the topic at hand:

Comfort:
    a) tidy and organized (as it suits the time and situation)
    b) books and bookshelves
    c) music (as it suits the situation)
    d) lighting -- including candlelight and firelight (again -- suitable for the time)
    e) comfortable temp
    f) a cozy seating area so you are not shouting across a room
    g) tables in reach
    h) artworks of all kinds (including photos, fabrics, paintings, posters, ceramics, metalworks)
    i) a comfortable bed with bedding that suits the season!
    j) pots of herbs and flowers in the garden/patio/balcony or even a windowsill!

• luckygal
    13 years ago

Every room I use has comfort otherwise I wouldn't use them. Here are some of their features...

Windows on 2 sides of the room for light and ventilation. Most rooms in our home have these. Also views out those windows.

Good lighting - I have several choices in every room for mood, task, and general. My bedroom has 4 lamps and 3 wall sconces - not all used at the same time but for different levels of light. The lamps on either side of the bed are on a switch so it's easy to turn both off at the same time - love that the electrician suggested that feature. The great room has 5 lamps, 1 floor lamp, one ceiling fixture, and 4 wall sconces. Night lights/lamps in several places so if I get up at night can walk anywhere in my house safely without turning on lights. They are all very low wattage but add comfort, safety, and beauty to my life.

Wood stove with glass door - so cozy during our long winters both for the glowing light and the heat. Never need to use a throw as it's always warm. And our heating costs are very low.

Comfortable furniture, appropriate to one's needs - goes without saying. I don't nap in the daytime but do like to put my feet up so a recliner or ottoman is essential. Table near my chair.

Warm wall colors I like, area rugs for cosiness as well as decoration.

Books, cats, dog, a handy phone, and a pen and paper. Satellite TV - even tho I don't watch much, it's there when I want it, and especially for the music.

Enough tchotchkes for my enjoyment but not so many that I find it cluttered.

Interesting thread.