Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimberly_ussher

Peeling paint, plaster walls and calcimine...

SaintPFLA
14 years ago

Hi I need some help...!

I have a 1920s bungalow and the paint on the plaster wall above the fireplace is peeling off in strips. I've read (out here actually...) that it's probably due to calcimine. There are old water stains from a some leak that must have happened years ago. There are not current water/leak issues.

I've noticed that paint comes off in some areas in large strips, and in others, it takes an enormous amount of work to chip it loose and it will not all come off. Is there a tip/trick to this or is this how the process works?

I'm in the process of re-painting my interior and this is the last section - and most difficult and time consuming - are that I have to tackle.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions that you may have.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    14 years ago

There is no easy fix. You really need to remove the calcimine by manual methods, lots of work. I have had luck with applying Gardz after removal to lock down any residual but it is not labeled for this purpose. If you can get some Draw Tite from Scotch Paint, it is a better product, it is still not labeled for this but should work better than the Gardz

Here is a link that might be useful: draw tite

• izzie
    14 years ago

Just a thought, do you need to be worried about lead paint?

• SaintPFLA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes - I'm aware of lead paint and use appropriate precautions....etc....etc.

Right now, I need to know if I have to get ALL paint removed from the wall in order to prep it for next steps.

Are you able to answer that question?

• paintguy22
    14 years ago

You don't need to remove all the paint. What is stuck is stuck. Using the Gardz or any type of sealer before you apply patching is good because you will have a base for the patch. It also works to prevent any bubbling that may occur when you patch over problem areas usually caused by moisture.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

The neat thing about calcimine is that even after these long years it is still water soluble. So start scrubbing. You may want to learn how to use a wall scraper to remove the subsequent paint and expose the calcimine so it can be washed off faster. BenMoore makes a primer called Calcimine Recoater 306 made just for the purpose of fixing the problem should you choose not to wash it off.
    Casey

• SaintPFLA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the responses! This project is driving me nutty!!

So, to clarify, if I may, once 'the loose stuff' is removed, I do NOT have to spend time trying to chisel off the paint that is not loose? I can then wash the wall (soap & water), then paint it with Gardz -- then, plaster skim coat? Then, it should be ready for the primer and paint color?

Do I have the steps and the order correct?

Thank you all so very much for your advice! I cannot tell you how tired I am of looking at walls that should be in a abandoned hauted house...

• PRO
    14 years ago

So, to clarify, if I may, once 'the loose stuff' is removed, I do NOT have to spend time trying to chisel off the paint that is not loose? I can then wash the wall (soap & water), then paint it with Gardz -- then, plaster skim coat? Then, it should be ready for the primer and paint color?

after sanding and cleaning the dust

You got it and you can just prime with the Gardz again

• SaintPFLA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So, apply Guardz as a primer to the skim-coat? Can I also use regular primer on top of the Guardz?

• PRO
    14 years ago

No need for another primer,Gardz is a primer already!

• SaintPFLA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay....got it! Thanks for the help with this.

Spent most of last night scraping the wall of loose paint....and, there is still MORE! Ugh!!!!

• SaintPFLA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

One more question about this (sorry!), I've begun the 'washing the wall' part. I'm using a spray bottle with a hot water and Downy mixture. The plaster wall base color is a pale yellow.

Some of the water residue that drips from the wall is amber-in color. I had thought that watered-down calcimine would be similar to dirty-dishwater in color...not amber?

Could this be something else besides calcimine or is this normal?

....or, does it even matter and I'm simply over-thinking this?...LOL...

Thanks!

• PRO
    14 years ago

, does it even matter and I'm simply over-thinking this?...

To much thinking and not enough painting!

• SaintPFLA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL....yeah, that's what I thought too. Thanks chritophern! ;-)

• PRO
    14 years ago

Have fun, I am sure it will be nice when finished.