Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lbelle_gw

need puppy potty training advice

lbelle
16 years ago

We have a 1 1/2 year old beagle mix which we crate trained as a puppy. He's great. He loves other dogs at the dog park, so we got a new puppy for a companion for him. We got another mutt who is just adorable, probably a border collie/jack russel and many other guesses mix. He must have bee "caught" because he is shy and backs off when he hears and sees you say "come here" in that high voice we use. He also freaks if you grab his collar in a certain way. He's about 12 weeks old. He is also in the crate at night and at times during the day. He does great at not going potty in the crate, and also knows his "spot" outside to go. However, he is not getting the connection to not go inside, or to let us know that he has to go outside. We've had him almost two weeks.

The problem, I think, is the other dog. They love each other and always want to play. The other problem is that I have a large "open" type home. Taking out the pup after eating , sleeping and playing means that he's only not outside going potty when he's crated. So, he goes after 5 minutes to 15, to 30 minutes after being outside! I can't seem to catch him in the act- he just stands and goes pee. I think he may have had to go in a crate or cage at some point. There are few , if any , warning signs. Not like my other pup.

So, any ideas what I can do? If I leash him to me, he'll be pulling, distracted by wanting to get to the other dog. Should I keep him crated except for a 10 minute play session with my other dog a few times a day? Having the two dogs play and be with each other is so cute and enjoyable for them. But, is it too distracting for the pup to learn his potty training. Any advise from those who may have gone through this?

Comments (5)

• jmzms
    16 years ago

Having similar problems myself. We have a 10 week old Samoyed puppy and a 5 year old German Shepherd. We've been putting the puppy in the kennel for short periods during the day. For example, after she goes outside to potty, she can play for a while with the GSD, then it's naptime in the crate. It's actually good for her, taht little puppy body needs to rest and if we don't kennel her, she'll just keep going. It seems to be helping.

I think the biggest thing is your level of awareness. If you can't keep your eye on the puppy, then the puppy should be confined to a smaller space (e.g., crate). Good luck.

• lbelle
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well. I'm trying crating a lot today. Everyone is gone except me. So it's not so exciting around here. So far, so good today. Awareness is difficult with a pup that will just stand and pee w/out any of the usual sniffing or heading to a "spot" . That's part of the problem. I can be 2 feet away and he'll just pee, standing normally- no warning. Hopefully the being tougher on the playing time/crating time will help him get the message.

• jmzms
    16 years ago

Oh, I know. We can't tell when our girl is squatting to pee or sitting (she's a low-squatter). And sometimes, she'll squat and pee, and then sit right there. Go figure.

Patience, awareness, and a whole lot of paper towels. :-)

• kvalentz
    16 years ago

I teach dogs to ring the bell when they have to go out. I know that sounds hard but it is very simple. Hang a large bell from the nob of the door you want him to use (I bought a large sleigh bell at the craft store) and hang it low enough that he can reach it with his nose. I also use operant conditioning to train, all positive with click and reward. ok, this is what you will do;
    have a treat ready, call him to the door, ring the bell and then immediatly open the door tell him "good boy" and give him the treat yes, even though your the one that rang the bell. Do this often. Your teaching him that ringing the bell means the door opens. It took about 3 minutes working with Gus to learn to ring the bell when he was 3 months old. I have a bell inside and outside that Gus uses.
    I hope that helped you, I know it sounds hard, but it's really not. Depends from dog to dog how long it will take for them to learn this. We don't give them enough credit, they can learn amazing things.
    Kathy
    Picture of my dog Gus below

Here is a link that might be useful:

• mazer415
    16 years ago

Leash wal;k your beagle- this is especially important for beagles who are use to being in large packs and using their noses for everything. WHen you leash walk your dog, and it starts using the potty, give it a command, and praise it keep this up and within a week your dog will be potty trained