Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovecookie

Breakfast room - help with funiture Style

ILoveCookie
11 years ago

Hi,

My husband and I are planning to get new furniture for our breakfast room, which is located right next to the kitchen. We need some help figuring out what style of furniture to get.

The breakfast room is 9' x 19', and is somewhat open to the kitchen. Husband wants to put a 6' wide x 2' deep x 5.5' tall aquarium (with stand and canopy) at one end of the room (where the painting currently is), and I want to put a sideboard (approx. 4' wide) at the other end. In the center, we are thinking of doing a rectangular table, about 7' x 3' x 30'', and putting one long bench along each long side of the table, to seat 6 people total.

Husband has pretty much narrowed down his aquarium stand and canopy to something like the Marineland one (in the picture below). We would probably get it in walnut or red oak color, rather than black.

I haven't made as much progress on the table set and sideboard. I kind of want something a bit rustic, like having a big wood plank table top or something. But I don't know if the rustic style will look good in this room (I will post pictures of the room in a little bit).

I did find a walnut table (custom made by Doucette and Wolfe) and a refectory bench (made by Theodore Alexander) that might work (pictures to follow). Do you think they would look a bit too rustic in the room? If so, what changes could/ should I ask Doucette and Wolfe to make, so it looks more appropriate for our room? Or, should I look at something completely different?

Btw, if we do get that walnut table made by Doucette and Wolfe, we'd probably get the bench made by them too, just so the wood and color and size can match. I personally really like that bench.

Thank you so much for reading. I'd really appreciate your suggestions.

This post was edited by ILoveCookie on Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 12:11

Comments (16)

• ILoveCookie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are pictures of the breakfast room.

This post was edited by ILoveCookie on Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 21:27

• ILoveCookie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

More..

This post was edited by ILoveCookie on Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 21:28

• ILoveCookie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The benchï¼Â

This post was edited by ILoveCookie on Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 12:20

• ILoveCookie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The table:

• funkyart
    11 years ago

I do like the table but it seems a bit substantial and rustic for what I can see of your decor and seemingly more traditional style. This isn't necessarily a deal breaker if you lean rustic elsewhere in your house or if this is a direction you want to go... but if so, I'd consider a less traditional design for the aquarium... maybe an iron stand?

I assume you know what you are getting into with the aquarium but one of my favorite thai restaurants has a large aquarium with beautiful tropical fish in their dining room. Unfortunately, it requires very frequent cleaning and when it isn't crystal clear, I find it a most unappetizing focal point.

• ILoveCookie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Husband currently maintains a 4' wide freshwater aquarium. It's currently sitting at the other end of the breakfast room. He changes out water once a week, and vacuums the substrate a few times a week. Our pleco in the aquarium works very hard.. she cleans the algae off the glass constantly, so the glass looks quite clear, and we just need to clean the outside of the glass from time to time.. But yeah, overall it's quite a bit of work.

The rest of our house has traditional furniture and decoration. Maybe this room should stay traditional too. There are indeed two traditional (or country style) tables I really like. They are large and somewhat fancy. I was originally planning to get one of them for our dining room (maybe in 10 years). Our dining room is completely ready for a table set, but we are planning to have kids, and want to use the dining room as a play room until they grow up..

I am now thinking, maybe I could have the furniture maker custom make a smaller and less fancy version of them? I don't think there are a lot of details we could get rid of, though..

This post was edited by ILoveCookie on Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 12:59

• ILoveCookie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The other table:

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I would think seriously about using seating with no backs. Not all of us can be comfortable on hard benches with no support. Perhaps you can get by with a 32" width so that you can fit chairs along the side that faces the windows?

I used a long bench on one side of a table long ago because of space constraints, and it was helpful in teaching my children to sit up straight at the table, but I never really liked it ...

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    11 years ago

I agree with Bronwynsmom. There is no way that many people can sit without back support.

• ILoveCookie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Your point is well taken. I am looking for chairs now, as well as good-looking long benches with back support.

Our current breakfast table has 6 chairs around it. When I vacuum, I have to move them all to a different place, and move them back when I am done. It's a pain, and I thought this problem could be solved by replacing these chairs with 2 long benches, which apparently would introduce a new problem. :)

• Janice742
    11 years ago

I had a table and bench made - in a mixed finish (black painted legs, and stained wood plank top) I quite like the black aquarium - so this could be a way to work that in.

We use four chairs around the table and the bench on one side:
    This is from their website:

{{!gwi}}

Link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: custom tables/bench

• Olychick
    11 years ago

That wall is so perfect for art with maybe a console or buffet under it. I'm not an aquarium person so don't know if this could work, but was was wondering if the aquarium could go at the opposite end (not sure what room adjoins the breakfast room there), so you could see the aquarium from all sides? That's assuming there isn't a wall there, too.

• ILoveCookie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Janice, thank you so much for the picture. It looks quite good! I am going to check the manufacturer's website.

olychick, the opposite end does have a 5.5' wall, with a window to its left. The current 4' aquarium is sitting along that wall. To the right side of (and behind) the 5.5' wall, is our living room. Below is a picture.

Since I want to move the water away from our nice living room (as far as possible), and husband wants a 6' new aquarium (too wide for the 5.5' wall), we thought it might be a good idea to switch the two ends. That is, hang the painting on the 5.5' wall, and put a buffet table or sideboard underneath, and place the new 6' aquarium on the 9' wall.

This post was edited by ILoveCookie on Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 21:29

• eandhl
    11 years ago

I would also look at Hunt Country Furniture. Not as rustic as the first one you posted & not as fancy as the 2ond one.

• ILoveCookie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, eandhl. I will check out Hunt Country Furniture.

• ILoveCookie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have another question --

Would it be really weird if I rotate the table by 90 degrees, and have it sit parallel to the short wall, that is, parallel to the fish tank/ painting/ buffet?

If the table is placed parallel to the short wall, it needs to shorter (maybe 5.5', rather than 7'), and it probably could go a bit deeper (maybe 4'). The room is 9' wide, 19' long.

I am thinking that way I'd have more space for chairs on both (long) sides of the table. What do you think? Is it too crazy an idea?

Edit to add:
    I just blue taped out my idea on the floor. It doesn't look good. So please never mind..

This post was edited by ILoveCookie on Sun, Mar 3, 13 at 13:52