Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
francoise47

Garden stools? what do you use them for?

francoise47
10 years ago

Hi All,

While shopping for plant stands and small end tables for my living room and dining room, I've discovered that a garden stool may be the perfect solution for some of my low side table needs. They are generally about 18 inches tall.

What do you think about the current fad for garden stools?
Love them? Hate them? Classic? or too trendy?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I don't think I've seen a single photo in a shelter magazine or catalog for the past four years that doesn't feature a garden stool. I'm now so habituated to seeing them that I can no longer figure out if I'm just attracted to them because I see them all the time or whether I like something intrinsic about them and their design.

Your thoughts on the use and abuse of garden stools?

Comments (33)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I have a few of them, none of them the traditional ceramic asian style. What i like about them is they are a nice decor element,almost like a vase, and they are easy to move around and use how and where you want them.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

I've been using them as side tables, plant stands and extra seating for years. At this point, they are all outside, but I used them inside in years past.

• theclose
    10 years ago

I like them. I have a white one that I use as a side table. Nice place for a drink. I have moved it around the house as necessary. It's pretty versatile.

• allison0704
    10 years ago

I've never owned a garden stool, but searched high and low for DD2 one for her shower - MBath Redo. It's gorgeous, and I didn't see it on other websites for anything close to what she paid - I see price has seen gone up; Turquoise Square Frame Lattice Ceramic Garden Stool. I think garden stools are a classic item that is always around. They can be used many places around the house - inside and out. I found the best selection, and price, at Homedecodirect.com. Shipping was fast.

Here is a link that might be useful: homedecodirect.com

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

Without much background knowledge on decor, they seem trendy right now to me. That said, I have mixed feelings about them. On the one hand I absolutely agree with mtnrdredux's assessment that they seem to bring some visual interest and color kind of like a vase. On the other hand, I don't quite "get" them. They're not quite a table, not quite a stool, and people seem to use them everywhere regardless of the style of the space. Hopefully some more posters will include pictures of how they use garden stools and help me move towards full on liking them. (Allison's bathroom picture is definitely a step in the right direction. Seems like a practical use with visual appeal.)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I don't have a photo because I'm not at home today, but I used them (mine are metal not ceramic) in my living room.
    I have four chairs around a large square tufted ottoman. Between each set of chairs is a "garden stool". Think of it a small table. The plus with the ceramic ones is there are soooooo many colors.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Love them. I agree that they are more classic than trendy. They have been around for years.

tina

• francoise47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for all your responses. I started this thread because (as you could perhaps tell) I shared some of pricklypearcactus's ambivalence about garden stools.

Together, all the responses so far are making me think that I may take the plunge and get one -- they seem perfect for a plant stand or a place to put a drink. And, I like the "outside in" vibe.

I love Alison's DD2's use of the stool in the shower -- stunning!

I'm currently loving this garden stool for its earthiness:
    {{!gwi}}

And this one which is not a garden stool, just a stool:
    {{!gwi}}

I'd love to see more photos of how you have used garden stools in your space. Thanks!

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

There are several pictures on the site I've linked below. You could always look at Houzz.com, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Stools Inside

• allison0704
    10 years ago

I also love both of those. I saw several copper ones recently at Grandinroad, but no need for one. They have a small selection, if you haven't looked there already.

Thanks. Her towels have turquoise and so does the MBR. I suggested it to her to bring color into the bathroom (still looking for a runner/rug to go in front of vanity), and it gives her a spot to sit something down in the shower (besides the floor) and provides a place to put a foot while shaving.

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

I love them to use as an extra seat, or as a little table in front of the sofa (in addition to a coffee table or end table), or I drag them outside in the summer to put next to a chair to hold a drink or a lantern. I just like them.

I have 2 owls (one white and one cream) and a turquoise one. (and I can see the edge of the cream owl on the left--the room is crazy right now, but so is my whole house)

Here's a picture the turquoise one. (Yes, there are still price tags on things--they are for the showhouse so I need to catalog the prices, etc. before removing them)

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

Personally, I would not put a ceramic stool in the shower. The soap makes the floor slippery and the stool could slide. If it broke you'd have a mess.

Bamboo stools are better for inside a shower.

Jane

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Francoise,

Here is one of mine ( I found it by looking at an old thread I had!) This is a photo from Neiman Marcus.

The other one looks like the second metal one you posted, except mine is fluted vertically not horizontally.

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 17:20

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

But, Jane, it looks so good! And assuming only adults are using it, I wouldn't worry about it myself.

But i did wonder about the glass fishing float (if that's what it is) that appears to be next to the tub? I'm guessing that is just staging?

• allison0704
    10 years ago

Mtnrdredux is correct, only adults use the shower. The shower is large/square, so the stool doesn't get in the way and it's useful. DD2 also cleans the shower weekly, so it doesn't get slippery underneath. The stool is pretty heavy, so it takes a lot to move it. She is also correct about the fishing float - it's one of my large ones - I took it over for some color since she hadn't found rugs yet. The shower door would hit it when opening anyway. The glass float is extremely thick, so I wouldn't think twice about having it in a bathroom. All three of my large floats are blown glass, so they all have a dimple that keeps them from rolling around.

Francoise, check VivaTerra website also.

This post was edited by allison0704 on Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 17:51

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

It does look lovely. Ask me how I know its dangerous.......

Jane

• crl_
    10 years ago

I like them. I think one of the nice things about many of the garden stools is that they are solid rather than on legs. So they offer some variation on the small table theme and may suit a room that is rather "leggy" otherwise. I seriously considered one for my living room, at the "foot" end of my chaise as a place to set drinks when two people were sitting on the chaise or as an extra seat. I found a really nice small table and wooden stool that fits right under it at the flea market and used those instead. But I still think a garden stool would have worked very nicely in that spot (and would have been better from the leggy perspective).

• vedazu
    10 years ago

They are great little tables next to a chair--never have to worry about wet glasses.
    Now, my grandson likes to put pencils and pennies in the holes on top--like a big bank. The problem is when he wants to get them out and decides to roll the thing over. He'll grow out of it--I hope, before he smashes it.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I got one at a garden shop near Birmingham years ago when, at that expensive shop, it was only about $200. Allison, I know you know the one I am talking about in Pelham. ;-) I use it in my BR by the chaise. I often read or watch TV in there in the daytime and like having a place for a cup of coffee, a book or my glasses, etc.

• shellsmom2
    10 years ago

I love the look of them, but can't justify spending that kind of money on something that the dogs will probably knock over and break. Unless I'm mistaken, and they are quite heavy or stable. Even outside on the patio, they would not survive our winters, which would mean one more thing to store in the shed or garage! Although, I do think they add a nice touch to other people's homes.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

The garden 'stool' has been around for as long as I can remember, but when I had my blue/white ceramic one, it was called a 'seat' at the store I purchased it from. They've been a part of traditional decorating for years, but can be in worked in with any style. I remember seeing them with a round glass top making it a usable table, not just something taking up needed space in a room.

• bbstx
    10 years ago

I have one that is exactly the same diameter as a silver tray I have. I use them together as a side table.

I am considering getting 2 brass garden seats to use in front of the sofa instead of a coffee table. If I do that, the single one will have to find another room to live in.

I think they are classic. I can't remember Mother not having one in our house; and my aunt too.

• funkyart
    10 years ago

Mtn, the moroccan table is gorgeous! Francois, I have also been looking at the metal drum table-- there's just something harmonious about it. I'd have bought it by now if I knew where I wanted to use it.

I love the flash of style and/or color a garden seat brings to a room. My problem with them is the relative size vs the other furniture but as I start replacing furniture, I will surely bring some into the mix.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I'm always, always looking at them, trying to think of a way to use one in my house. I did have one several years ago, close to the fireplace and its brick hearth...in a path the dog often used...and yes, the dog knocked it over and it broke. So that can happen!

My nightstand tends to get cluttered with reading material and other junk, so I've been thinking of getting one to place in front of the nightstand so I can have a little stack of books on it.

• francoise47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to all for sharing your opinions, and examples, of garden stools. Mtrnrdredux's moroccan vibe metal stool is gorgeous.

Thanks, Fun2Bhere for the link to examples on Houzz. Thanks, Allison, for the Viva Terra suggestion (alas, their website has been down this afternoon -- but I look forward to checking it out.) Grandin Road was another useful suggestion.

• sloedjinn
    10 years ago

I'd love to have a garden stool but our living room is quite small. I can't really justify a side table that doesn't have at least a little storage. Ditto for every other room. They're definitely a classic. My mom has one in her house in blue and white that she's had since I was a little girl, long before the 'current' trend of putting them everywhere.

• francoise47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Since Viva Terra came up on this post as a source for garden stools, I thought I should mention that the company seems to be going out of business.

This from their Facebook page: "Viva Terra LLC has apparently been sold to a liquidation company .Vendors who have shipped product to Viva Terra over the last couple of months have not been paid." Too bad -- I thought they offered some interesting goods.

• wmsimons85
    7 years ago

I found this thread interesting just had a bathroom remodel and a very large shower but the contractor didn't build a shower seat as he originally told me so looking for ways to add one.

Saw a photo with a garden stool used in a shower so thinking of buying a white lattice one for my white marble shower. However was a bit worried about it being breakable.

Would be interested to know if others have done this since this posting?

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I would use it as a little table next to the bath-but never as a shower seat. it's too small and will get very slippery. unless you'll use it only for storing things/shaving, then i guess it's fine. but i wouldn't use it as a seat per se, not in a wet zone.

i have two-theoretically they can break but they're so heavy i'll break faster than them:) they also can scratch the floors when you move them..if you have real marble-i'll think twice, even if putting one just for beauty. unless you don't care about scratches, and it's fine then.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

PS i'm not a real petite but pretty close to that..in case you wonder whether i find them too small while in reality they aren't..:)

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

try a teak bench

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Beekeeperswife..if your around..I love your Zebra. This summer I'm re-doing, decorating my grandsons age 7&9, shared room in an African wild animal style. I want it done tasteful and more adult like rather than childlike. They grow so fast.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz