Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momtotwins_gw

still need help with my daughters' bedroom

momtotwins
16 years ago

You have all been so great helping me with paint colors/shades, et...

I need more help. Their bedroom has all bright white trim. I ordered antique off-white furniture. If I get white faux wood blinds, will it look ok with the off-white beds that will be right up against the window? or should I just do a fabric shade to match the bedding/walls? Les gave me the idea of the blinds to have more control of the light in the room. I like the suggestion but just not sure how the beds will look against the blinds.

Am I over-analyzing all of this? LOL

Here is the room without the furniture. It arrives soon!

Comments (6)

• patty_cakes
    16 years ago

I had the bed in my 2nd BR against the blinds and it looked fine~I used side panels, tied back, and it gave the bed more 'presence'. You could also do a balloon valance, very feminine for a little girls room.

• momtotwins
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was actually more concerned about the ivory colored furniture against the white blinds. Does is matter if they are different colors?

• geokid
    16 years ago

I don't think it matters as long as you can definitely tell they are different colors. If they are too close in shade then it might look like you were trying to match, but didn't quite make it. :-)

In my daughter's room I have a shade and sheer curtains. If everything is closed then the room is really dark (great for naps and summer when she goes to bed when it's still light out). If I want just a little light, or some light with privacy, then I open the shade but leave the sheers closed. And when I want it bright, I open it all up! Works great for us.

My son's room had blinds, but I replaced it with a shade. Our neighbor's son had a tragic accident because of cords from their blinds and I immediately rid my home of all cords. They even had the child safety cord winders, but he reached it somehow and figured out how to get it off. Just my two cents, since your daughter's bed will be right up against the window and she could easily stand on the bed and get to the cords.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

Have you considered shutters instead of blinds? Solves the cord danger and very pretty. With shutters, they look like part of the window, so you won't have an issue with matching the furniture.

• amsunshine
    16 years ago

I agree shutters would be pretty -- although more pricey than faux wood blinds. However, I think you can match the blinds to the window trim because I think that the wood or faux wood can look like part of the window, just like shutters. It's when you use fabrics that I think the color can be tricky.

I got my blinds at blindsgalore.com -- they were priced reasonably and custom sized for my weird 50's windows. I know some blinds have cordless lift options specifically for the safety issue. You may want to look into that.

• momtotwins
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, I would get cordless blinds. I always order from americanblinds.com. Great, fast service and good prices!
    I definitely can't afford shutters!
    The Levelor blinds I priced are only $65 for each window!