Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flip193

Help on sizing water softener

flip193
10 years ago

I've been reading in this forum learning about water softener. I finally decided that I am going to install a water softener system. I live in single story house, 2 full bathroom, no Jacuzzi or high water use appliances at this time but maybe thinking of installing a Jacuzzi in the future, 2 adults and 2 kids, city water, 3/4 water lines- PVC, SFR 7 gpm. Below is the water test done. I am looking at Fleck water system. Any help is greatly appreciated.. Thanks.

Calcium- 37.1
Magnesium- 21.8
Iron- 0.0
Manganese- 0.0
Sodium- 12.1
Chloride- 26.9
Hardness- 182.4 ppm
pH- 8.40
Total carbonates 0.80 meq/L

Comments (7)

• User
    10 years ago

water TDS?

• flip193
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Alice for the quick response. I didn't have the comprehensive water test done so I don't have TDS in the result..

• User
    10 years ago

Your current needs can be met with a 1 cuft softener. However, if you want to plan ahead for the jacuzzi, you may wish to install a 1.5 cuft softener instead.

Since you have no iron or manganese, you should be able to extend the time between regens, provided you haven't got a problem with particulates in your water.

Without knowing TDS, we will have to err on the side of caution and regen with at least 8 lb salt per cubic ft of resin. You did not specify city or well water. If you have city water, you are entitled to a copy of the water quality report which will likely include TDS.

Call around and see what your local water treatment folks can do for you. You want to ensure you get the following:

• High quality American or German made resin. This will provide a tight size distribution for optimal flow within the resin

• If you have WELL WATER: 8% crosslinked resin.

• If you have CITY WATER: 10% crosslinked resin. The oxidizers that city water treatment plants use, such as chlorine or chloramine, are harmful to softener resins. Higher crosslinking will resist chemical attack longer.

• Top basket. This serves two purposes. It sets up a proper water distribution during normal operation and prevents resin loss during backwash.

• Gravel underbed. The gravel underbed is there to set up proper flow patterns, improve backwash and prevent channeling. Many softener sales companies like to leave this out or sell softeners with a vortex system instead. Vortex systems weigh less than gravel so they cost less to ship. In addition, they are a more expensive item that adds profit for the softener salesperson, but provides no additional benefit to the homeowner . It simply adds another piece of equipment that can break.

• Fleck or Clack valves. These set the industry standard. Be aware that you will not be able to purchase Clack valves online. This is not a problem if you purchase locally.

• Noryl bypass. Most softeners are available with either Noryl or stainless bypass valves. Both are good valves, but the noryl tends to be more reliable when not used for long periods of time.

• Install the softener with a three-valve bypass. This will make it so much easier if you ever need to remove the softener for repairs or wish to take it with you when you move. Use full-port, quarter-turn valves.

This post was edited by aliceinwonderland_id on Tue, Jan 21, 14 at 11:42

• flip193
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Again thanks Alice. I ordered the 5600 sxt locally here in Florida with all the specs you suggested. The only other thing that I need is the programming. Would you mind helping with appropriate set-up on the programming for efficiency. I should be receiving the item either this Thursday or Friday. I will be installing it outside and I have to run a line for power. Any help is much appreciated.

• User
    10 years ago

Sure - In order to provide programming details, once the softener arrives I need the BLFC information. See the attached photo to obtain the necessary details.

• flip193
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Alice,

Finally got all the components on the softener. The BLFC is 0.50 GPM, 1.5 lb salt/min. What I forgot to include in the previous email is that the system is 1.5 cuft 48000 grain 5600sxt. How much resin should I put in the resin tank. I received a 1.5 cuft bag of resin (was sent in different boxes and different day) It made sense that I put the whole resin in since I purchased the 1.5 cuft. I just wanted to make sure if I am correct. I also looked online to see what the top basket looks like and I think what he sent me is the basket. Again any help is greatly appreciated..

• User
    10 years ago

Enter Master Programming Mode

1. DF=Gal

2. VT = St1b

3. CT=Fd

4. NT=1

5. TS doesnâÂÂt matter because you only have one tank

6. C=38 [This is a generic capacity. If you know the exact resin in your softener this number may be different]

7. H=11

8. RS=SF

9. SF=15

10. RC=0 (You are using a % reserve rather than a fixed reserve)

11. DO=12

12. RT=2:00 (or another convenient time when you wonâÂÂt be using water for a couple of hours)

13. Regeneration cycle step times
      BW=10
      BD=60
      RR=10
      BF= BLFC is 0.5 gpm so set BF=8

14. Ensure all days are set to ON, unless you have a specific day of the week when you do not want the softener to regen.

15. CD doesnâÂÂt matter unless you set a day to OFF in step 14.

16. FM t0.7

17. doesnâÂÂt matter

Exit Master Programming Mode.

Pour 5 gallons of water into the brine tank. Add salt.

Reset your clock to actual time.

At this point itâÂÂs a good idea to force the softener to step through the regen steps. There is no need to allow each step to complete. Just leave it in each step long enough to verify that the valve has changed position then move on to the next until you are back in service mode.

Enjoy your soft water.