Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchendetective

Would you use this over a pool table?

kitchendetective
15 years ago

Would you use this over a pool table or does it scream kitchen?

Here is a link that might be useful: Lamp

Comments (15)

• powermuffin
    15 years ago

I looks way too formal for a pool table in my opinion. But it sure is pretty!
    Diane

• eliza_824
    15 years ago

Yeah, too formal for pool table. Looks more like for a dining room IMO.

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

No. Unless it was a white lacquer pool table.

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

I didnt mean that how it came out. I was having a vision of an art deco pool table.

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

It's a gorgeous fixture, but I think it's too delicate-looking for over a pool table. Too, I wouldn't think it would provide sufficient "task" lighting for lining up and executing those Minnesota Fats-style trick shots. ;-)

• mclarke
    15 years ago

From a functionality perspective, you need a fixture over a pool table that sheds light downward onto the table, not into the eyes of the players.

This one wouldn't serve that purpose very well.

Here's an example of one that functions, but is still somewhat delicate:

• free_at_last
    15 years ago

No, it's nice, but unfortunately wouldn't work from a functional standpoint. When we bought our pool table, dh gave me an education on pool table lighting (which I seriously resisted, wanting something less bar-room IYKWIM :)

As mclarke mentioned, it has to point downward only and has to completely illuminate every corner evenly (which accounts for the very traditional look of most pool table lights :P )

• kitchendetective
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the responses. DH put the tackiest fixture I have ever seen over the pool table because we hadn't looked for a good one and we wanted the house DONE. That was over three years ago and the ugly thing now bugs me so much (I never play pool) that I want to order a replacement, but didn't even know what to look for. I will search some more. The room is transitional/contemporary with a highly visible big screen T.V., electronics, surround sound, and a little kitchen area. The photo mclarke included would actually work, I think, but it's more Craftsman, Tiffany-ish than what I had in mind. Still. . .

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

Here are a couple from Rejuvenation: They are A & C transitional but cleaner looking with the white shades, nickel. They come in multiple finishes.
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• tonda1
    15 years ago

I didn't want a "traditional" pool table light either - I went with a more contemporary, Asian-flare, but it does have the down lighting that a pool table needs. I think everyone is right that you have to have that functionality.

Keep looking, you will find what is right for your decor. Good luck!

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

Yes if it gave enough light.I like it. It is unexpected and just a bit over the top. Why not?

• black-thumb
    15 years ago

Honestly I think it depends on the style of the room and the style of the pool table. I could see this over a pool table in a certain style room. Of course this is all contingent on whether or not it provides adequate light.

• black-thumb
    15 years ago

Here are just a few room I think it might go well in or at least rooms on this order.

Imagine a deep mahogany pool table with that light fixture over it in a room like this.

Or this with a beautiful high polished oak table.

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

I just picked out a light fixture for our new pool table. Loved the simplicity of this one. There are a lot of nice ones out there. Here is mine:

And here is a link for a boat load of billiard lights! Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Billiard lights

• ronbre
    15 years ago

i think it depends on your room, it might not look as bad as everyone is saying..in YOUR room..do you have photos?