Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debsan_gw

OT but hugely helpful for new Stainless Owners . . . re: cleaning

debsan
15 years ago

I know this isn't the place, but I wanted to share something with all those who have new stainless appliances in their kitchens.

Stainless steel fridges and dishwashers show fingerprints very easily and sometimes that teensy oily residue is very difficult to clean. I wouldn't have chosen SS if I'd had another choice, but a friend, who used to sell appliances, shared this trick with me--

If you clean it well and then wipe the whole thing down with the finest coating of baby oil, it will keep it looking great for weeks. My friend suggested baby oil, but since I don't care for that smell, I bought a massage oil that was essentially the same as baby oil but with a fresh fruit scent. I haven't cleaned the doors on my fridge since I did this a couple of months ago.

Comments (12)

• chloe_s_mom
    15 years ago

It is a good tip! I use plain old mineral oil that I use on my butcher block. I was using the same rag for both, which worked great (and remember to buff in the direction of the brushed grain), but then made the mistake of using the same rag as the countertop....but the one that had beeswax and mineral oil. What a pain trying to buff out the wax!!

• ni_2006
    15 years ago

Thanks for the tip! I will try it.

By the way, I just used Bar Keepers Friend a couple of weeks on my fridge, which was such a mistake! (I should have read the label!!) I will try the baby oil and see if it fixes the dull look caused by BKF!

• evilbunnie
    15 years ago

The Orange oil cleaner (for wood) in the spray bottle works well too, and smells good. I will give my soapstone and my sink a wipe with the same mineral oil coated cloth.

It's a good tip!

• faucetman886
    15 years ago

I'd like to add to the list. i recently had to have a service man here to repair a problem with my new stainless steel fridge and he recommended WD-40 lightly sprayed on a paper towel or lint free cloth. I was amazed. I had become frustrated trying to keep the thing clean and had tried all kinds of specialty cleaners...this WD-40 really works great and you only use just a hint of it on your cloth.

• krissd
    15 years ago

Any tips for rust marks on stainless? I don't know what happened, but we have little rust marks on the front of the dishwasher (I'm sure it was my husband's fault):).

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

krissd, if your dishwasher is real stainless (as opposed to some of the materials that only look like stainless), it should not be rusting. If it is, it means that someone contaminated the stainless with carbon. This can be done by using a brillo pad on it, hitting it with a non-stainless spatula, or even attempting to stick a non-coated magnet on it. Once the carbon steel has contaminated stainless, it's there for good.

Here at the metal fab shop where i work we'd sandblast it to remove the carbon but that's not really a good fix for a dishwasher.

• krissd
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info. It is real stainless. It really must be my husband's fault. Oh well, the spots aren't big. My house really has that 'lived in' look.

• davidro1
    15 years ago

i think you can rub it out.
    With enough rubbing you get rid of the oxidized rust molecules.

• dollfanz
    15 years ago

Pledge Protection Plus in the white can is amazing on stainless. It is also safe for granite. I use it on both. It seems to repel fingerprints. It works much better than the stainless steel wipes.

• happytobehome
    15 years ago

Anyone use Cerama-Bryte for Stainless? A sample came with my GE Cafe stainless range. I used it for the first time this morning on the top around the burners and the range looks worse! I'm very unhappy.

• krissd
    15 years ago

Just rereading this post. Davidro - you said you think I can rub out my rust marks on my dw? With what? I'd love to know...

Thanks! kris

• slc2053
    15 years ago

Will these tricks work on stainless which has "water drip marks" on it? My dishwasher cleans up nice but has water marks like water ran down the front of it. You can only sit the marks from a certain angle, but I've cleaned and cleaned and it's like there are permanent water marks on the door? Anyone know what I'm talking about??? Thanks!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH