Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kdw72697

xpost - removing vinyl tile

kdw72697
11 years ago

Hello!

I posted this on flooring, but thought maybe some of you DIYers could help...

I have to replace my kitchen floor. There are 3 layers of vinyl peel-n-stick tiles, and the top layer is now peeling and curling around the edges of the individual squares and it's quite painful on little bare feet.

Has anyone tackled this before? Any hints? I would especially like to do this without chemicals.

I used adhesive dissolver in a bathroom last year but those tiles were already peeling away on their own. It made me really sick, though.

For the record, there is NO asbestos in the room. The subfloor itself was replaced in the 1990s and I personally laid all 3 floors since then. We got a few years out of each with tremendously heavy daily use, so I can't complain. :)

Comments (9)

• graywings123
    11 years ago

You might also try posting on theHome Repair Forum.

I would try using my Dremel Multi-Max using the rigid scraper blade. There are similar tools made by other companies. Fein apparently makes the best one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Multi-Max

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    11 years ago

I did it once using a putty knife to lift it. A hot hair dryer helps to soften the glue. Be aware that the floor will be extremely sticky once you lift the tiles.

• kdw72697
    Original Author
    11 years ago

wow, this forum is FAST!

I have a dremel and never thought about using for this. Thx!

gracie01, I had to throw away my shoes the last time I did this because they basically got stuck to the old floor! It was a sticky mess. :)

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

Lift the corner of a tile using a putty knife and/or screwdriver and/or razor floor scraper and direct the hairdryer underneath to heat up the glue, take your time and let it get nice and hot - it will peel off... and on to the next one. Use the razor scraper for any pieces that won't loosen with the heat, and possibly the bottom layer might be adhered to the subfloor.

• Jbrig
    11 years ago

We did a bathroom remodel and had the vinyl tile flooring removed. I don't know what machine my GC used, but he rented something from the local hardware/building supply store and removed approx. 100 sq ft of vinyl tile very quickly. Maybe you could call/go by your local store and ask them what they recommend. And I agree w/ a previous poster, it left a very sticky mess behind.

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

I actually used a circular saw set at the appropriate depth and removed the underlayment (particle board) just above the subfloor and then laid down a new underlayment. That avoided the whole sticky mess and let me get things leveled out before I tiled. Putting down new underlayment was a bit of a pain (maneuvering big sheets of particle board), but at least the removal was quite painless. I just set the depth of the circular saw, put on safety glasses, gloves, and a good quality mask. As I cut sections I used a prybar to pry them up and throw them out.

• kdw72697
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks again, all!
    I am trying to guess how long this might take. Because of the sticky residue (and the fact that it is our heavily-used kitchen) it's not exactly a project I can leave partially finished.

The tiny bathroom took a weekend, but we have another bathroom we were able to use...

• kdw72697
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I got lucky and the weather turned hot and a tad humid here (odd for spring). The floor just peeled off; the top layer took the bottom layer with it!

It's still sticky, but boiling water and dish soap helped scrub some of it adhesive residue off. I'm not going to get it perfectly clean because another floor is going on top of it tomorrow.

thanks to all!

• kdw72697
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I got lucky and the weather turned hot and a tad humid here (odd for spring). The floor just peeled off; the top layer took the bottom layer with it!

It's still sticky, but boiling water and dish soap helped scrub some of it adhesive residue off. I'm not going to get it perfectly clean because another floor is going on top of it tomorrow.

thanks to all!

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!