Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dazzlemewithcolor

Home staging...advise on interior neutral paint colors

dazzlemewithcolor
14 years ago

Can anyone recommend a paint color that is a great neutral color?

Thanks

Comments (21)

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

I used Sherwin Williams 'Chop Sticks' when I was readying my house for the market. It's a nice warm tan. ;o)

• nicanewjersey
    14 years ago

BM Linen White or Antique White

• nicole__
    14 years ago

Muslin or navajo white(touch of yellow). My last house I had a decorator coordinate grass cloth, fabric and paint for the main living area. It was a brownish pink color. The house sold in 3 weeks in the '91 recession. :0) So it must have been neutral enough......or stylish enough. If your place was tricked out, I think a buyer would buy it with mocha painted walls! :0)

• sunnny
    14 years ago

We painted one shade lighter than Kilm Beige by SW, It's a soft warm color. Our kitchen was slightly more yellow but I don't remember the color.
    We sold in 4 months and were the only house in our neighborhood to sell in the past year.
    Hope it sells fast for you,
    Sunny

• dawnp
    14 years ago

I love SW Irish Cream! We have it in our home in several areas. It is a warm neutral.

• willowdecor
    14 years ago

Almost my entire downstairs is BM Muslin - It is warm very light beige. I caution you against a off white, because it can look very blah. Muslin gives the wall definition and depth but is so neutral any prospective buyer can envision their decor with it. Here is a link to my house , but notice specifically my Living Room, Dining Room and conservatory which are painted in Muslin so you can get the idea. Good luck!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Muslin Living Room, DR and Conservatory

• nancyvh
    14 years ago

There is a very successful realtor in my neighborhood whose stager recommends the SW Kilm Beige, Nomadic Desert,Latte paint strip when selling a house.

• ttodd
    14 years ago

BM Edgecomb Gray

• pps7
    14 years ago

BM manchester Tan

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

BM Bone White I used and highly recommend. This paint color is a touch darker than BM Navajo White without as much yellow and is very neutral and looks great with white trim. BM Bone White is very similar in formula to SW Navajo White but I like the way the Bone White looks a little bit more.

• tuesday_2008
    14 years ago

Believable Buff, Relaxed Khaki

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

Hmmm, maybe this is a question for the Buying and Selling a Home forum too?

• tfm1134
    14 years ago

my friend is getting ready to put her house up for sale and is painting it SW Believable Buff

• sheesh
    14 years ago

Doesn't it completely and entirely depend on the furnishings and lighting in the specific room(s)?

• dazzlemewithcolor
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks for all the wonderful suggestions!

• peaches12345
    14 years ago

Interesting thread because I just had to make this decision. We are considering putting our home on the market and I took down the wallpaper in my kitchen. I had planned on the same tan neutral I have in the living room, foyer, and hall. My painting contractor, who does color consulting, said that he is finding more and more prospective sellers are using a bold designer color rather than a neutral in a room where it will really make everything 'pop' and finding it very successful with buyers. I used a bold dark green-blue and am so glad I did. It is now an eye-catching room with lots of white trim and plantation shutters and dark green granite. A kitchen is a perfect place for real color on the walls since there is no concern about buyers' upholstery matching and such. Not every room has to be 'neutral'.

• greenthumbfish
    14 years ago

I completely agree, sherrmann. I have a dark green ceramic tile floor in my kitchen and while SW Kilim Beige was close, SW Softer Tan reads a bit warmer, and I'll be going with that. Lighting, flooring, built-ins and furniture really do make a difference. That's why it so important to do test patches on the walls.

dazzle, these are all very good suggestions, but it will depend on what you've got there already.

• amysrq
    14 years ago

We sold a house in FL in a terrible market and everyone who saw it thought it was refreshingly different from all the other "neutralized" houses on the market. I think it is important to stand out in some way, to be the one house they remember after seeing the other thirty. That doesn't mean red flocked wallpaper (probably) but I don't think neutral paint or decorating is necessarily the answer.

The other thing that made that house stand out to the buyers was that it was far cleaner than any others they looked at. I have an accepted offer on another house right now in a stagnant market and I just can't stress enough how important removing the "ick" factor is. We get used to our own dirt, but to others, it is ick. Making sure there is not one square inch that would illicit an ick response is more important than choosing the right paint color, IME.

• salonv
    14 years ago

Mostly a lurker here- but thanks for this thread.
    Amy- that is totally correct in my opinion. We kind of get blinders not only to our "dirt" but to miscellaneous junk laying around for example. when I sold my house a long long time ago in a terrible market, I tried my best to really pretend I had never seen the house before- and some silly everyday things that we get used to - that are almost (but not) innoccuous(spelling?) make such a big difference.
    PAtty0315 can you post pictures? Would LOVE to see the kitchen.

• peaches12345
    14 years ago

I wish I could post a picture and I have got to learn with my new camera. My kitchen color is Duron's "Comingtee" from the "Historic Colors of Charleston" brochure. You can google that and the brochure is available at SW (which has bought out Duron).

I have SW Macadamia in GR, hall, and foyer, and a navy/white toile wallpaper in the dining room adjacent to my now dark green-blue kitchen.

• dazzlemewithcolor
    Original Author
    14 years ago

amysrq, I totally agree about how important it is to have a clean house. Personally, I can see past someones paint choice but I was thinking a couple of rooms needed some freshening up with new paint and thought a less personal choice may help with selling.

Appreciate all the advise!