Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chilcat

Help with Sheer Descents

chilcat
15 years ago

Plans for my new poll call for a 2 foot tall 18 foot wide wall across one side of the pool. Plans for 3 sheer descents at 12 inches each. This seems sort of narrow for the SDs. Is there a minimum width of sheer descent that looks good? Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments (17)

• mikethepoolguy
    15 years ago

Go to Jandy.com they have a huge library of pool photos so you can decide what you like. You can also see a list of sizes and types available. Fair warning though, sd are expensive and you may have to increase plumbing and/or pump size. Also,if the sd are operated by a seperate pump be sure that water is filtered. One builder in my area did not think this was needed and now all those sd are clogged up and look terrible.

• devildog1989
    15 years ago

Filter the water? What was the guy doing,packing the pipes with dirt before he closed up the plumbing system. Never seen sheers have their own filter.

• Rack Etear
    15 years ago

You dont need to filter the water, but it is a good idea to put an inline strainer on them..

Devil if we don't do it here, the sheers will get filled with fir needles, since fir needles can sneak through strainer baskets.

Getting back the the original question.

It's all about proportion. I don't think on a pool over 30' long that a 12" sd will have a great impact. A 2' would give you a lot more bang for your buck.

• mikethepoolguy
    15 years ago

The sd I am refering to have their own pump which gets its water from a second set of drain in the deep end of the pool. Where the dirt is! Pump baskets crack, and as noted, some things will go thru a basket but not a sd. Why would anyone protest a second filter system anyway? For that matter I am not proposing a 500 foot cart. filter, but maybe a Ray-vac energy filter or putting the drains on the wall of the pool so they dont collect every leaf in your yard. If you dont do this I assume you dont have car insurance either, after all, if you did not need it yesterday you dont need it today. Right?

• devildog1989
    15 years ago

I see your point about the needles. I should remember every part of the country is different. We do not put suction to pool main drains here typically. If we do have a second pump for the sheers we put the suction on the side of the pool. If dirrt gets up that far they should get rid of their pool service company. Oh by the way I have plenty of car insurance.

• mikethepoolguy
    15 years ago

I agree that sidewall suction would prevent any clogging issues. But just to be annoying I'll ask you to read the installation manual. It says (Jandy) to plumb the sd after the filter. Page 3 also says if a seperate pump is used "A FILTER IS REQUIRED" bold letters and all. I'm willing tobet the other manufacturers manuals say the same.

• bella-orlando
    15 years ago

Here is a great example of a pool I built with 3 Sheer descents on a raised area. It is my favorite Sheer Descent example. If you would like the measurements I could pull the plan and let answer that question.

Jason

Here is a link that might be useful: Pool with 3 Sheer Descents

• devildog1989
    15 years ago

I guess we have been doing it wrong for 20 years. Thanks for the info. Now I'll even be higher priced than I already am.

• just-a-pb
    15 years ago

Hayward sells a Micro star-clear 25 inline cartridge filter, that is less then $50. Well worth the expense.

• poolguynj
    15 years ago

And the suggested Jandy Energy Bowl is not going to permit the needed flow. Sheers use a lot f water. I don't think a 50' filter is enough. The flow could crush the filter element.

• cliff_s
    15 years ago

I have 2 8' Sheer Descents that are back to back for a 16'
    wall of water. I takes a 1HP pump for each of the Descents
    and wide open they have just enough water. 1 1/2hp would
    probably do a better job without having to run the pumps wide
    open. The suction is from several(4) side wall inputs.
    I have no problem with clogging since the inputs are about
    2' under water they pick up nothing floating or anything that
    has sunk to the bottom.

The sheers make a spectacular addition to the pool and
    are great fun to play in, they arc out enough to walk behind.

To clean them out make a wire with a small hook on the end
    and use it to pull out any leaves or junk.

Cliff s

• chilcat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bella,

That pool is amazing, and in such a narrow backyard. It would help me to know how wide those sheer descents are. I have looked all over the web, but you cannot find pictures of sheer descents with any measurements.

• bella-orlando
    15 years ago

Thanks chilcat, we really did have to squeeze that pool in! It was a 49' x 12' pool. It was a funny shaped yard with a 7.5' easement that sloped up in the back.

The sheer descents are 18" wide and they are on a 24" raised beam.

I personally think that that the 12" wide sheer descents are going to be too narrow since the water tapers down to be narrow where it hits the water. Here is a link to Jandys installation manual showing the water taper and "FILTER IS REQUIRED"

Jason

Here is a link that might be useful: Jandy Sheer Descent Installation Instructions

• bella-orlando
    15 years ago

Here is a link to a pool I built with a 12" Sheer Descent on an 18" raised planter. Notice how much the water tapers down.

In the other pool I posted above (The Miles Pool) those 3 SD are on a raised deck approx. 15' wide. If you are going to have an 18' wide raised area you may want to go for 3 x 24" SD.

Good Luck!
    Jason

Here is a link that might be useful: Pool with 12

• chilcat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, bella. That is what I needed. 12" is OUT. Either 18" or 24".

• poolmissy
    15 years ago

There are also sheer descents here. They have many different styles, sizes and pictures.

http://www.inyopools.com/category_waterfalls.aspx

Here is a link that might be useful: Sheer Descents from Oasis

• serraoj
    15 years ago

We have (2) 36" sd's, suction on wall in deep end, (1) 1hp pump, never find any debris in pump basket, no filter for it, no problems. :)

LuvH20