Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nadine33_gw

can you buy pre-made stair railings?

nadine33
16 years ago

In our dilemma of what to do about our stairs, we really wnat to replace our metal railing with a nice wood one. We don't really have the tools to build one. Is something like this available pre-made? It's just a straight section. I was going to look for a local handyman, but it's a pretty small job.

Here's what we're replacing...

Comments (9)

• User
    16 years ago

You sure can buy pre-made. Here's one supplier. I'd steer you to your local old fashioned lumber yard.

Here is a link that might be useful: LJ Smith

• nadine33
    Original Author
    16 years ago

don't know if you can tell in the pic..the reason we're looking to replace it, is because the piece "connected" to the wall isn't connected anymore. There is no rosette piece there and I gues years of holding onto it have caused the bolt to completely pull free of the wall...actually it's made a nice hole in the wall. SO at the very least we need to remove it, fix the wall and get a better way of anchoring it in to the wall. This has been painted and I know you can't tell in the pic but it looks kind of cruddy. The paint job wasn't done very well. I didn't see any pre-made full sections at that website, just newels and balusters.

• nadine33
    Original Author
    16 years ago

If we did want to add wood to the top, what do we do about the curved handle part?

• rucnmom
    16 years ago

LJ Smith will have all the components you will need. However, our local lumber place has had issues will their product not lining up properly. For that reason, we are going with Crown Heritage. CH seems to have a wider variety of styles as well. We are just about to embark on this project as well. We are ripping out the builder's selection -- every house in the neighborhood has the same thing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crown Heritage

• sweeby
    16 years ago

If you do go with a wooden handrail up top, I'd get a finished wooden end and cut off the metal right after the last post. Kill the curl...

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

You might need to make sure that your wrought iron railings are up to code (how tall and how far apart are the balusters).

• User
    16 years ago

Nadine, Fine the components you like and then have the handyman assemble it....fixing the wall as part of the project.

• nadine33
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah...I think this job is a bit too much. Maybe if we had all the tools handy, but since we still have TONS of other work to do. I'm going to check Angies list, but anyone have recommendations on how to find a good handman...especially for a job as small as this?