Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prill_gw

How would you modernize this fireplace area and mantle

prill
14 years ago

Not "modern" but more up to date than the 50's era it was built. The wood stove insert will stay -

Comments (20)

• eclecticme
    14 years ago

Personally I really love the fireplace. If I did anything it would be to either paint the brick so that it matches the wood stove and blends in, or I would tile over.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

I love it, too. I think it is a timeless style and really, really, wonderful. I also agree that you could redo the brick surround with tile or travertine or something to update it, but that is the only thing I would change!

• parma42
    14 years ago

I wouldn't change a thing.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I love it the way it is too. Maybe you could change the hearth from the terracotta to s grey slate or slate lookalike tile or a slate or soapstone slab, but I think it is very nice the way it is.

• scanmike
    14 years ago

I totally wouldn't change a thing. It's so classic looking and with your bookshelves and yellow ware, it looks fantastic as is.

• amykath
    14 years ago

The only things I can think or what has already been mentioned and then maybe if you wanted to paint the inside backs of the cabinets a color. I love the space! Maybe you could add some new hardware knobs too.

Amy

• prill
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK - well I guess it's good that you all love it. Maybe I've just been looking at it too long and it needs a fresh coat of paint. Isn't this the time of year you just want to change everything? i do.

Palimpsest - I LOVE your idea about a soapstone hearth - that would be wonderful. I have soapstone counters in my kitchen, so that would follow through. Maybe with some grey tile around the stove. I have thought about taking out the terracotta and putting some other tile there - but a slab would look great. I'll have to investigate that option.

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

I agree- it's pretty darn great as it is... and I'd maybe only add tile or a new hearth material as mentioned. In fact I'm considering building pretty much exactly what you have there (complete with wood stove insert) in my kitchen! Love it!

• Jamie
    14 years ago

I like it too, but I notice that your collectibles are antique. Would you like the look of sleek modern objects in the cupboards or th puch of contemporary art above the mantle?

• teacats
    14 years ago

Love the basic structure -- but -- just for a change -- try clearing the shelves and mantel.

Then -- re-arrange the yellowware -- and spread it out on all of the shelves. Try moving all of the photos -- and re-doing them onto a family gallery wall.

Then switch the artwork (I just did that move today here!) -- maybe one from another room in your home? Remember -- just a fast switch -- and a change!

Then add three small dark blue votives along the mantel.

Just some changes for the season!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• sweeby
    14 years ago

Agreeing with the others -- perfectly charming as it is.

That said, I love the idea of a soapstone slab hearth.
    Then just rearrange the stuff you've already got there. Maybe trim the photos if you're looking for a more 'decorated' / less 'homey' look? If it were me, I'd probably add some blue & white china plates -- but that's mainly because there are so many beautiful ones out there, because I just love the stuff, and because it could go there!

A more modern painting could modernize the overall vignette; but there's certainly nothing wrong with the one you've got.

• prill
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks again everyone. I'm sure I'll rearrange all the shelves when I repaint the woodwork.

Sweeby - I LOVE blue and white and hope to make the room more all blue and white. New rug, move the loveseat out, and blue and white plates and maybe some of my blue onion canisters.

I have to decide if I want to paint the walls a different color. I love the dark blue (it's darker than it looks in the pics), but I'm ready for a change.

• fuzzywuzzer
    14 years ago

I agree with everyone here that yours is a gorgeous fireplace! Totally charming! A change of objects or art (especially a modern piece) could make it feel altogether new for you.
    Thank you for sharing your photo.
    FW

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

I like it as is too. :-)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

I like it too as is but my first thought to bring it up to date would be to paint the insides of the bookcases, the inside part of the top of the mantel and the boards over the bookcase a soft apple green.
    I would use color to modernize things.

• bronwynsmom
    14 years ago

I think freshening is more the idea than modernizing...I would choose a rich neutral value of a color you like and paint the inside of the bookcases and the wall over the mantel.
    I'd paint the brick black (and I like palimpsest's idea for soapstone as well).
    Then I'd hang a very large mirror in a very simple frame (I like a dirtied mix of gold and silver leaf) over the mantel.
    I'd take away the things on the mantel shelf itself, stand a few large ivory colored pillar candles in varying heights to the sides, put the clock in the center of the lower bookshelf on the right, and reshuffle your photos and bowls into asymmetrical balanced groups, with some of each on every shelf.

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

I want it as is for MY house.:)

• prill
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone - I appreciate all the input.

• Shannon01
    14 years ago

Is there beadboard in rest of room? I wonder if the beadboard is competing with the stripes in pottery?

If you are asking what could be changed I would say tiling over the brick and redoing the hearth. You could also add a very thin veneer piece of paneling in the back of shelves to make wall solid but still have the paneling there is you ever wanted it back. Same with doors, change out for solid and put hinges inside and use different knobs.

Otherwise it is really pretty already.

• Happyladi
    14 years ago

I really like it, too. It would nice if you painted the back of the bookcases and the area over the fireplace an accent color.