Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ipenovice

Sealing IPE before or after acclimation to environment

ipenovice
17 years ago

When the IPE decking is delivered, do I lay it on the joist and let it acclimate to the climate for some specific period of time before I seal it with TWP116 or do I seal it as soon as it arrives and then let it sit and acclimate to the climate? What is a good period of time to let it acclimate before I start screwing it down? Is 1/8" gap between boards a correct spacing? Thanks for any advice.

Comments (8)

• john_hyatt
    17 years ago

Dont lay the ipe on the joists to acclimate. If you really want to get at it sticker up the material under a cover and run a big fan thru the spacers for a week or so.Dont pre finish the ipe,put the finish on after the decking is fastened.1/8 space is fine. John

• ipenovice
    Original Author
    17 years ago

John, I'm sorry but I don't understand your response. What do you mean by "sticker up the material" and cover it with what, plastic? The only real flat surface I have to lay it on other than the joist is a garage floor. I want to do it right so it doesn't end up all twisted and warped before I install it. If I don't seal the ipe until it is fastened down, how am I going to seal all four sides of it? Thanks.

• john_hyatt
    17 years ago

Sticker up ya know,,stack up your lumber with spacers inbetween levels,say 1/4'' flat sticks, your ipe will probley come with stickers in the bundle.Its a Carpenter/lumber yard thing, anyway your garage will be fine sticker up the material and run a big fan thru the stack for a week or so this will slowley work a little of your area into and out of the lumber. Do Not Seal All Four Sides of the ipe decking. J

• vintnerrl
    17 years ago

I recently read, on another forum, that an ipe installation cupped because the bottoms of the boards weren't sealed. Why would you say not to seal all sides, John?

• john_hyatt
    17 years ago

I dont agree with that idea for a lot of reasons.Using counstruction adhesive on the joists will act as protection from all the water leaving the green pt frame in the first few important weeks after installing Ipe it will also give a little holding down power and help leval out uneven joists.Of course if you still want to pre finish forget the counstrustion adhesive it wont take over finished material. J

• ipenovice
    Original Author
    17 years ago

As always John, excellent advise. I wish I lived closer so I could buy you a drink for all the help. I think I have the plan for all this pretty well set now. Much more comfortable with the entire process. I will post pictures when the deck is completed. Probably about a month from now. Thanks to everyone who contributed advise and suggestions to this forum. I am all so grateful.

• john_hyatt
    17 years ago

I also have the power to grant a wish, well me and fedex,a case of Tecate would do nicely, address on the site. J

• info_paintsource_net
    15 years ago

I don't know if this post is dead, but John H, could you share a little more detail as to why you do not want to precoat the bottom side of wood, especially if you can't get to the underside once the deck is installed. What problems might you expect? Do you think the topside of IPE should weather a few months before staining since it is already so oily when new? I just get this question a lot from clients, and there are conflicting opinions. I guess every project is different.

You give great advice by emphasizing "racking and stacking" the wood. That will eliminate most deck problems, including finishing problems. By getting the wood dry, it will accept more of whatever sealer is used. Pre-drying also reduces or eliminates splitting problems.

Thanks John. Knowledge is the key to every solution.