Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kars1

Front Porch Floor Advice!

kars1
13 years ago

Has anyone had experience with Azek Porch or Aeratis Tongue &groove flooring?

We are replacing our current porch floor and would like a "maintenance free" product.

Thanks in advance for your expertise!

Comments (4)

• theporchguy
    13 years ago

kars1

I never thought I'd say this, but T&G composite porch flooring, maintenance free, has now surpassed wood.
    There are a variety of makers and they all are expensive. I've used Azek and Correct Porch brands. They really look like wood.

Remember that installation of composite flooring takes much longer than the regular wood T&G flooring that is nailed down with a air-powered flooring nailer. If you are doing composite, take a look at the makers installation advise. Usually each individual board is screwed into the floor joists. This takes alot of time, so be ready for more than one or two weekends of fun.

Your brand choices are very good, although there are so many others to choose from that are right up there with
    Azek.

I think the best way to choose is to see it, feel it and get excited about the color and then get started.

Happy screwing!

theporchguy

Here is a link that might be useful: my album

• porchguy
    13 years ago

I have installed Aeratis... We used a flooring stapler. My last install, we installed over 520 12 foot boards in less than 6 hours. We did this on a home in Goshen Al. I have found, when using other composites if you have to use screws, you are exactly right, it does take much more time. However, if you factor in priming on 6 sides and then culling and cutting away the knots with wood products, the installation time is comparable. If you have a chance, use Aeratis.

The part both I and the homeowner liked about the Aeratis product was, it was not a cellular product. It is solid. After you install it, you will know what I mean by solid. We decided against Correct, found out they purchased Tendura a few years ago and on another site and people were having issues with that product.

The restoration project we did, you could put a herd of cattle on that porch and it would not move and we put all the joist 16 OC. With the Aeratis product you can paint it. So 10 years down the road, you decide to change your house color, you can change your porch color without replacing the whole floor. I did a load of homework before that project. It was too big for me to have issues with a product. Not to mention it had been replaced 2 other times in the last 10 years with pine and Ipe. Hope this helps...

• barefootbull_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I just had 250 sq ft of aeratis t&g flooring installed on a covered porch. The contractor was very careful when installing to be sure not to mar the finish. However, after just a few days of actual use I see multiple scratches and a disturbing number of gouges in the surface -- What experience does anyone have re the long-term surface durability with this product?

• aidan_m
    13 years ago

"Not to mention it had been replaced 2 other times in the last 10 years with pine and Ipe"

WTF happened to all that Ipe? 520 12' Ipe boards cost over $15K. The person would have to be a moron to throw it away and more money at that a few years down the road.

Something is not adding up...

Please explain how the other decking failed, or what decision making process the customer used to conclude the Ipe had to go away.