Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Remember the Cleaning Blinds topic? I solved the problem!

Oakley
15 years ago

Since we got the new addition and remodel, I have a bunch of wood now, from shutters to bead board, to blinds in the bedrooms. I bought every single dusting product there is to make my new job easier, and they did't until I finally used my new feather duster. Just like you see in the movies when the maids are dusting. :)

I ordered one and it is soooo pretty, even has one purple feather amongst all the brown ones. I didn't use it until today, and it took me all of 5 minutes to do my living room which has a lot of wood in it, including the shutters.

Now if you get your deep seated dust off the blinds first, which is the real chore, all you need to do after that is go over them with the feather duster once a week, then vacuum when you're finished. I love this thing! I got the larger size, it's much easier to use. It also does a good job on the crown molding and above doorways, and even the front door! Just shake the dust off outside every few minutes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Great Feather Duster

Comments (15)

• artlover13060
    15 years ago

Don't you just love Fly Lady? I haven't really worked the program but I try it ever so often.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just spent 15 minutes going over her site and ordered the Rubba Scrubba. LOL. That site is GREAT. I hate to clean, but she has some really good advice. I can't tell you how much I love the feather duster. I plan to spend more time on her website before I go to bed. What I like about it is others give their opinions on the products and give tips various ways to use them.

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

I have a feather duster and, although it's seen better days, it's one very handy cleaning tool. I'm definitely in need of a new one, so thanks for the link and the recommendation, Oakleyok. I'm heading back over to FlyLady's site to see what else I can't live without.
    Lynn

• User
    15 years ago

Thanks for the link Oakleyok. I'll be ordering one myself!

• msrose
    15 years ago

So, how is the Fly Lady different from what you see in the stores? I'm wondering if the secret is using the blow dryer to fluff it up?

Laurie

• tinam61
    15 years ago

Oh my! It's too early in the morning for me to handle FlyLady!! Someone sent me that site a couple of years back and while, yes, I do agree there is some good advice - I just cannot handle her! LOL Somehow I mistakenly signed up for her DAILY EMAILS - those about drove me over the edge.

I don't remember if I replied to Aunt Jen's post about the blinds, but that is what I do, just keep the blinds dusted and an occasional vacumming is all you will need.

Rather than a feather duster, I prefer those fluffy ones that are electrostatic - I'm not sure what they are made of. They work really, really well. I use them on blinds, trim, ceiling fans, etc.

tina

• buddyrose
    14 years ago

I was in Bed,Bath&Beyond yesterday and I couldn't decide between the feather dusters or the microfiber fluffy dusters so I bought a microfiber glove instead!!!

tina, can you wash you duster when it gets too dirty? That's the thing I worry about with these dusters. I have 27 windows so it will get dirty.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

msrose, I think the difference is the quality in feathers. I had an old feather duster years ago and it wasn't as soft as flylady's.

What I like about it for blinds and shutters it dusts a large area at a time. And then I take it across the books and bookshelves, etc.

• patricianat
    14 years ago

I wonder if the Fly Lady thinks we do not know about microfiber.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have micro-fiber dust cloths too, but for blinds, the feather duster is much easier and goes faster. Now if you have several weeks of dust built up on something, of course you won't want to use the duster, but it's perfect going over blinds and shutters once a week to prevent any built up dust.

I use micro-fiber for my tables, etc. I used to use it on my shutters, but it took too much time.

• User
    14 years ago

Feather dusters just stir around the dust into the air.... and then it resettles on everything. The microfiber glove is much better for trapping the dust, but the best thing is to use a horsehair brush attachment on your vacuumn cleaner hose and suck all that dust up.

• patricianat
    14 years ago

What KSWL said. For those of us who have asthma, dusting with a feather duster is double trouble for asthma. What does not settle on the furniture or carpet, settles in our respiratory tract.

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago

I was gonna ask a question along the lines of what kswl brought up. I've read that feather dusters only move the dust around. Is that true?

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have asthma and yes, it does move the dust around...but...I didn't see it settle back on my furniture when I went crazy with it yesterday. lol. It's not for thick dust mind yoyu, only maintenence which keeps me from having to do the slat by slat dusting on the shutters. Plus, I like how I can take swipes on the walls and trim, along with the beadboard. Then I vacuum. :)

I ended up ordering her Rubba Scrubba and I am impressed. It's like a brush made of soft rubber, and I've already gone over the fly screens outside and got the dust off, and it takes the dog & cat hair off the furniture, much easier than using one of those sticky things, but then again, you need to vacuum when you're done.

Maybe I should work for Fly lady? lol

• tinam61
    14 years ago

I'm sorry Buddyrose, I just today saw your question to me.

Yes, you can wash the electrostatic duster. What is good about it is the static charge (or however those things work) attract the dust, keeping it in the duster - no flying around in the air. I have allergies, I cannot imagine having dust flying around as I try to clean, not to mention the dust landing on everything again.

tina