Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kcorn

Back of peninsula at entrance to family room

kcorn
10 years ago

We are planning an L-shaped wet bar / beverage center at the end of the kitchen which goes into the family room. The part of the L that will face the family room will have an overhang (planning 15") with (2) stools on the family room side.

Our dilemma is that the family room is a small step down from the kitchen. It's only 5.5" height difference between the family room floor and the kitchen.

So my question is how to handle the back side of the peninsula facing the family room. The options we have discussed thus far include:

1. Put a knee wall between the back of cabinets and the family room - make the knee wall come down to the floor in the family room side and have it blend in with the walls in the family room / paint it the same color.

Pro: I think I would like the look of this from the family room side.

Con: DH isn't keen on having a knee wall of a a different color than the cabinet itself�which leads to option 2...

2. Have the back panel of cabinetry extend down to the family room floor and have finished panels on the side of the peninsula and possibly a leg on each end going into the family room to give more visual interest to the cabinets.

I have seen some examples of this on Houzz - but I can't decide if I like option 1 or 2 better or if there is another option we aren't considering.

Here are a few examples of step down situations where the cabinets continue on the other side.

Traditional Kitchen by Alexandria General Contractors Harry Braswell Inc.

Contemporary Spaces by Falls Church Kitchen & Bath Designers Cameo Kitchens, Inc.

And here is an example where there is a knee wall separating the cabinets from the other room, but painted to match the other room. (our peninsula will be all one level, but this is the best example I could find).

Traditional Kitchen by Mukilteo Kitchen & Bath Designers Dawn Ryan, AKBD/Ryan Interior Design

Comments (9)

• texasgal47
    10 years ago

I have the same situation with the back of the peninsula,with a 15" counter overhang and counter stools, facing the familyroom. The side of the peninsula matches the cabinets. I chose option1, to paint sheetrock to match the familyroom. I'm pretty picky and think it looks absolutely fine from any direction.

• Majra
    10 years ago

I like the look of the cabinetry going down the stair, but will you have trouble finding the appropriate height stools? My peninsula also faces the family room. The backside matches the family room walls.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

It's more durable to have wood than painted drywall since people may hit it with their shoes. Just something to consider.

• redjmartin
    10 years ago

Ineffablespace makes a good point. If your cabinets will be stained, then having cabinet panels in this spot will result in fewer and less visible mars and marks to the finish. A painted surface is going to be more susceptible to damage from feet (especially if shoes are involved).

If you're going with a painted finish, then it won't make a big difference which way you go for durability.

One option with paint, if it is OK to have a slight sheen on this surface, is to overcoat the paint. On our (painted) pantry shelves, I was tired of looking at marks from cans and other objects, and used a Varathane product to overcoat the shelves (it's a matte finish polyacrylic with aluminum oxide added for durability). It's been 5 months and the shelves look like new.

spartans99, did you end up going with the same cabinetmaker we did? We spoke a few weeks ago and you were in the middle of selecting someone.

Ed

P.S. Go Green! (and Go Blue! ... I'm a Michigan fan) in the games tonight!

• kcorn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback!

Majra - since the height difference between the two spaces is only 5.5", I have already mocked up the height of the peninsula and found stools that will fit. The peninsula is all one level and it will end up being about 42" off the family room floor; so about the same height as when people have a raised bar.

ineffablespace - the cabinets on the lower will be a natural stained walnut. I think the color will flow pretty well into the family room and I hadn't thought about the durability factor so that's definitely something to consider.

redmartin_mich - yes! We are going with the same cabinet maker as you used. We are really excited about his work and we just need to nail down these last bit of details. (And let's hope both teams win tonight!!! Go green...Go blue!)

• ianace
    10 years ago

Here's the second pic. I had regular bar height stools, but it looks like my step down to the family room was higher than yours.

• kcorn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks bocakitty. Your step down is higher than ours, but it's helpful to see a similar type of setup. I think your cabinets on the back side look great and tie in well with the other bar area you have with the same cabinetry.

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

I just love those pictures.
    I like treatment 1, but all of them are lovely. Can't say one doesn't work!

I look forward to seeing your finished project.

(Go Brown & Gold? Western. You'd think a former cheerleader would know the cheer, wouldn't you? But I grew up just outside E. Lansing....)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County