Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kateskouros

OT: any designers out there? what are my options?

kateskouros
13 years ago

our house is almost done. i don't know when EXACTLY but it will happen soon enough. i designed the kitchen and the mudroom and bathrooms and the fireplaces and spec'd the trim and selected the lighting and everything else. before this house i did a whole-house reno of our first home.

i ordered a custom drum shade for a chandy from very fancy lighting store in our area and when owners came to deliver the fixture they asked me to call them so we could talk. they want me work for them as a "decorator". but i'm not a decorator, i'm a designer. i want to do exactly what i've BEEN doing.

i have a bfa from parsons school of design in new york and was an editorial art director (staff & independent) for seventeen years. i stopped working shortly before i had our first little guy and now both our kids are in school all day. last year i spoke at length to an admissions officer at the new york school of interior design and they said they would accept me into their masters program but i do NOT want to go back to school full time. i don't want another undergraduate degree and for so many reasons, i don't want to work for a masters. i don't have a problem with attending non-matriculate classes but they don't offer "a la carte". i could go elsewhere for non matriculate courses though.

does anyone have any advice for me? must i be a matriculated student in order to test for any kind of "license"? what are the other licensing agencies besides ASID that i might be able to test for?

i seem to remember hearing about having to work with an architect or designer, which would be no problem. i have a couple of viable options there, so totally do-able.

i want to work again, closer to home. magazines are dead and even if i did find work i am no longer able to travel. prior to my leaving i was away two weeks (sometimes three) of every month. no thanks and good riddance!

is there any hope for me or should i think of something else?

Comments (11)

• marcydc
    13 years ago

Well, i'm neither a designer or an architect, but a tech person (and a mom of pre-teens) .

This article appeared in the SF Chron a few days ago. I was able to pick cabs, granite, appliances, mainly based on performance of the materials and how we felt about say paint vs. wood, granite that we fell in love with, etc. ... but I would love someone to see my pics and make it "done" without the hassle of a "design" person coming in. I just want some one to pull it all together! (and tell my DH that certain things need to leave!)

If this could be done through my pics, website, clicking on a few buttons i would spend 1-5K to get some advice about window covering choices, sofas, end tables, and rugs. And that's just the common areas of our house. We are all a big mess in the bedrooms too. We're in analysis paralysis doing this ourselves... If I could do this over the PC/iPad/phone I'd be in heaven. I have no time whatsoever working a 50-60 hr job 2 kids in 2 sports each.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sf Chron article on online home design

• latimore
    13 years ago

I think it is great that you want to pursue something new!

Your first step should be to check out whether your state has any licensing regulations. (Some states have them, some don't, some are working on them.) If they do, it is probably administered through the same board that licenses architects and engineers. Finding out what your state requires to call yourself a "designer" is probably the best place to start.

If they require licensing they probably require completion of the NCIDQ (National Council for Interior Design Qualifications) exam.

I linked to NCIDQ below which explains all of the education and experience requirements to be eligible for the exam. See the "Exam" tab at the top. To the left of this there is an "About Us" tab - if you click on that, in the pulldown menu there is a section which addresses the difference between "designer" and "decorator". This would be a good place to start and if you call NCIDQ they can probably answer any questions you may have.

How exciting to be translating the skills you've acquired in your home project to a new career! Best of luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: NCIDQ

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Boy, at this point I'm a sad sack of design loserness. I'd pay you to help me design the look of my new masterbath that is bare studs waiting for me to decide on EVERYTHING except the bathtub.

I think you should go back to work and do something you love. You have great taste and style, not to mention a sparkling personality! ;)

• growlery
    13 years ago

As others have said, I think you first need to find out what the minimum legal requirement is to work doing what you want to do in your state.

I have phrased this very specifically -- if you want to be a full-on designer with clients and have your own business and that's what this ASID course and certification lets you do, then that's a good match. If, perhaps, you just want to advise this store on its windows, help a few of its clients, and that's something you are allowed to do without certification, (but it's just that it helps to get HIRED or insured if you have it) then maybe you don't.

Are the nonmatriculated courses really the same as the NYSID courses, and would they transfer if you changed your mind in, say 5 years? Is there a very part-time option? Like 1-2 courses a semester?

The trend with magazines, like everything, is to make do with fewer staffers and freelance everything -- which is good for you in this case. And the internet means you don't have to be anywhere near where the project comes together. Is it possible that you could pick up some occasional work near you that does not involve travel? It might require a slight adjustment in what you do, but the creative people I work with tend to blow me away with the range of their creative outlets.

As I say about 1,000 times a day -- it starts with what YOU want to do.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Growlery is spot on.

Kateskouros,
    You have the talent. Even if it means you attend school
    part time. It will be worth it. You might try contacting
    a few design firms. With your background you may be able
    to work in a support capacity until you get the education
    or even until you decide how much time, energy, effort
    you can devote to the art.
    Don't give up.
    ~boxerpups
    http://www.asid.org/

• mamadadapaige
    13 years ago

Hi Kateskouras,
    I was on GW quite often a couple of years ago and haven't been on much since but you were on here when I was so I clicked on your message to see what you have been up to.

I had been working as a graphic designer before having kids and designed my kitchen (for the most part)... also did lots of work on the rest of the house and gained so much experience and a love for renovation that I decided to go back to school for kitchen and bath design. I started about 4 years ago... going to the Boston Architectural college at night. just one or two classes per semester. I finished in December. It is not a degree program, just a certificate but the program is accredited by the NKBA and I made so many useful connections in the industry while there. I am currently finishing up my term as Vice President of the NKBA for the student chapter in my area. I plan our meetings and coordinate with the various showrooms that host us, set everything up, manage the invite process, etc.

Since getting out of school I have had about 5 job offers. They have come to me without me even looking. I am a mom with two kid and the kids are my first priority so I have been a bit choosey about what/where to work.

Funny I should be looking at this thread as today was my first day of work at my new job! And in fact, I was going on to GW to do a little bit of research for my new boss. The showroom I am working in represents Pennville, Woodmode, Brookhaven, Greenfield and Diamond. He is on the lookout for a new cabinet line that would be a step below Brookhaven, maybe 25% less expensive for those people looking for a budget kitchen.

Anyway, I am working in the showroom 2 days per week and have been working indepently on kitchen designs with people who have been contacting me knowing that I have been involved in this program.

It has been incredibly easy finding jobs. Not sure if the NKBA route would work for you but just wanted to bring it up in case it would. Because I attended an NKBA accredited school I am eligible to sit for the AKBD exam. I will have to work 7 years before being eligible for the CKD exam.

I know from being on LinkedIn that there is a lot of "hubbub" a foot regarding legislation where interior designers are concerned. Not sure where it stands right now but it appears that laws may be passed to require quite a lot of credentials in order to call yourself "x,y or z". Look into it... I am fuzzy on the details.

Good luck!

• steff_1
    13 years ago

Okay here's the real scoop from a licensed, certified Interior Designer for more than 20 years.

In order to hold the title "Interior Designer" and be licensed in most states you do have to complete a FIDER accredited academic program in Interior Design. Then you work for a licensed designer or architect for two years to be eligible to take the NCIDQ exam. Once you pass the exam you will be a "certified" designer, then you can apply for licensing through your state. This is a matter of public safety to ensure you know the applicable codes and contracting issues that apply to the practice of design.

ASID and IIDA are professional associations and not licensing agencies. Each has different requirments for membership separate from the state. Membership is not required in order to practice Interior Design.

In some states you cannot use the title "Interior Designer" unless you hold a license. This and other requirements will vary by state so you do need to check with your specific state professional licensing board. That's the "hubub" someone referred to. It's a way to differentiate those who have met the requirements and those who have not.

You do not need a license to work with a lighting store or furniture store. Many use titles such as "design consultant" to comply with the law.

There are lots of great residential designers who do not have degrees or certification in Interior Design. When they do renovations or other projects which require permits, they use a licensed designer or architect to provide the plans.

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thank you all so much. i am in the middle of such hell right now, i completely forgot i had posted this.
    marcy: thanks for posting that interesting article. i skimmed through but i'll go back and read again.
    latimore: i'd come across that NCIDQ website before, and then lost it so i really appreciate the post!
    breezy & boxer: it made me smile to read your kind words. i needed to "hear" that, so i owe you a debt of gratitude. thank you so, so much!
    growlery: you've given me some very good jumping points to research and it helps quite a bit to have it there in black and white. TY!
    and mamadadapaige: it doesn't really seem as if you've been gone, as your beautiful kitchen is constantly resurrected in posts, newly discovered by the ever-changing community we have here! i think a newbe just posted a shot of your kitchen only yesterday. did you mention your plans to switch careers? i seem to remember someone -but not sure if it was you. but i'm thrilled things are going so well for you! and of COURSE you're busy! why wouldn't you be? your kitchen is a GW favorite of mine. i wasn't really worried about getting work, but more concerned about fulfilling the requirements. i have a lot to think about and i'm a bit preoccupied while we try to finish up but i'm copying all the responses in this thread so i can come back and consider all the wonderful advice i've received.

i was thinking about the economy and how it is all cyclical, and WILL come back eventually. i'm sort of throwing ideas back and forth and have been wanting to pick up some starter homes that need work in better areas -and give them ultra-fab face lifts. i didn't mention this to my dh since we obviously have invested a lot in our home. but we were discussing my options and he said i should look around for some real estate and fix them up "because," he says, "your pretty good at this stuff..." i couldn't believe, that man read my mind!

i don't feel the timing is right for that yet, though. and i would still want to work toward accreditation of some kind ...do you see? i am so confused. no matter how grim things seem to me right now with the build, things will settle in time and i am sure i will figure it all out. it always happens. things always work out for me. a friend once told me i should give seminars on how to MAKE everything work out. it's laughable really. i just have faith.

i just want to be sure and let you all know again, how much i really appreciate your kind words and for sharing your information and ideas. like i said, when things settle i'll go through your posts again and formulate a plan. i knew i would get some replies when i posted but i'm always amazed at how truly giving you all are.

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    13 years ago

so sorry, i didn't see you posted when i replied! a big thank you! i did look up my state's licensing requirements and they do mention a FIDER accredited education. -or if you have tested with another agency like NCIDQ, they require you to "fill out a blue form...." -and that's when i got dizzy.

i will phone around tomorrow and talk to the ID dept at our local community college. i could swing a matriculated program (if i needed to) closer to home.
    again, many thanks!

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

I love you ladies! I've been following this thread with much interest- I'm also a graphic designer/mom/seasoned renovator casting about for the next step in my life, and considering interior design consulting (or house flipping) in some form. So much of what you're saying rings so true to me. I don't have anything to add, except to say, "thanks" because it makes me feel not quite so alone :)
    Stacey

• steff_1
    13 years ago

How funny that we cross posted. I missed this question earlier but am happy to answer because I welcome any questions you or anyone else may have about the profession and the requirements.

With your BFA from Pratt you should be able to skip all the basic design courses and focus on the ID studio classes. That will help get you through faster, but it may mean you you will run out of classes quickly at the community college since the last two years are the ones you will need. The studio classes are demanding, but usually good preparation for a career.

"Fill out the blue form" When the licensing laws were put into effect options were included to help those who were already practicing comply. In most states you do have to demonstrate knowledge and professional experience equivalent to an accredited ID degree and the exam to be licensed.

After all that there's also a Continuing Ed requirement to maintain your license and professional certification. It's five hours a year and can be done online, but there are fees associated with the classes and registering your progress.

You do not need a license to flip houses unless you are really gutting them or doing additions. If that's the case, you will want an architect and engineer to review the plans anyway.