Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coalaska

*March* UFOs-no-more

coalaska
16 years ago

Hi, there,

Complete any ufos this month? An UnFinished Object is anything you've started and, for some reason, haven't yet finished. Until now... :)

Please post pics here of UFOs you FINISH this month!

Can't wait to see!

Comments (24)

• barbara_in_pa
    16 years ago

I am unable to post pictures.... but I did finish several projects that were 'almost' completed during February actually completed one yesterday.... a baby quilt called attic window..came out cuter than I expected...a quilt for a wedding gift...called 'stairstepper' which is an off take of a bargello pattern... both needed to be quilted and bound... yippee that nows done and now off to the other stuff 'nearly completed' projects --

• coalaska
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Barbara, somehow I missed your posting. Great job on getting those projects completed!

• coalaska
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm pretty thrilled: it's not the last day of March, and I have another quilt (that used to be a UFO) finished!

Thanks to svanessa, for the advise on "organic quilting on a geometric quilt." I had planned to use straight-line quilting, just to get it done fast, but when I read that I changed my mind.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• crafteedee
    16 years ago

Ooooh, I like that one coalaska. Great job on the quilting, too. Is there significance to the fabrics in the quilt? Looks like some satin/tafetta & moire prints. Reminds me of wedding fabrics.

• coalaska
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you :) I had so much fun with the quilting on this. I drew the flower with 2 leaves in Word, freehanded the little in betweens, and enlarged the border leaves from an F&P magazine. I did the no-thread-in-the-needle sewing onto tissue paper, then pinned that to the quilt.

The satin pieces are from my flower girl's dress, the cute bunny eyelet from a receiving blanket I made for an "expecting a baby in May" forum group shower, all the others are from stash, bits of this quilt or that. Except the border/backing.

• cannahavana
    16 years ago

I sent my king size top to the quilter yesterday. Does that count? :) I used the advise too to do organic quilting on a geometric quilt as the top is very geometric. I chose a swirl pattern.

I did finish a denim/flannel rag quilt last weekend. Denim on one side, red flannel on the other. Yesterday I started planning out my next quilt with pinwheel blocks. I spent a couple of hours drawing sew lines for my half square triangles.

Rebecca

• cannahavana
    16 years ago

Coalaska, I meant to comment on your quilting. It's awesome! Did you free-motion quilt? I have yet to try that.

• amazingcm
    16 years ago

Great one Cheryl... I finished the several things but then I turned around and started several more... So many ideas not enough time... grace

• day2day
    16 years ago

So soft and pretty,Coalaska. Good work. It's a great feeling to finish a project.
    Here's my March UFO no more. It's been in the works since Nov.,2006.
    ~Geraldine
    {{!gwi}}

• laurainsdca
    16 years ago

Geraldine -- another gorgeous ufo-no-mo! Lovely. Did you qilt the hearts by hand?

• coalaska
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rebecca, pics of the denim quilt? And the KZ when you get it back from the quilter. Way to go!

Any pics, Grace? Good job on finishing (and if we didn't start more, we wouldn't have any to finish, would we??)

Geraldine, pretty quilt! I don't recall seeing a 9-patch/snowball on point before--really like how it looks :)

Cheryl

• svanessa
    16 years ago

Finished my Fuchsia quilt!

{{!gwi}}

• suellen_delawares
    16 years ago

Coalaska - I love the quilted flowers! I really like flowers.
    Day2day - What a wonderful idea to quilt hearts in the centers.
    svanessa - I love the colors they are very striking together.

You are all so very talented. Beautiful quilts ladies.
    Suellen

• judylee59
    16 years ago

Beautiful quilts everyone! Congratulations on finishing. Maybe I should spend more time sewing and less time reading these posts! :0) Keep up the good work! JudyLee

• gerizone5
    16 years ago

Beautiful quilts ladies. You are all so talented and really getting big projects done. I did finish the Independence Quilt using some of my 2007 birthday blocks and tonight I finished the March BOM for the Debbie Mumm Christmas quilt but that's about it. Leaving for Fl. on Tuesday and won't be back until middle of April.

• nanajayne
    16 years ago

I am so proud of all of you. Everything is just beautiful. Nice quilting, beautiful execution of patterns, great choice of colors, and best of all they are finished.
    Svanessa, how did you get the flowers on you boarder? They really make the quilt. Jayne

• laurainsdca
    16 years ago

These are all awesome! Vanessa -- I like the way you used the white with flowers and then the purple with the same flowers fabric together -- it makes it look like white stars with purple and then someone took a handfull of flowers and scattered them all over the quilt top. Good Job Ladies!

• svanessa
    16 years ago

The border was created from a stripe fabric. I cut down the center of the purple and cut down the center of the cream giving me several pieces with the flowers down the center with purple on one side and cream on the other. Great fabric!

There is some of this fabric on ebay in purple and green. A local shop still has some too: Memory Lane in Santee Ca.

{{!gwi}}

Sue

• svanessa
    16 years ago

I finished a second UFO this month. It's a frog quilt for my niece with over 35 different frog fabrics. I was going to make her a bug jar quilt but she didn't want that. She just wanted a simple sashed layout so this is what she gets.

Sue

• coalaska
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sue! I have almost every one of those frog fabrics, just waiting for a quilt. Wow!

Great job on another ufo, and great sashing for that quilt.

Cheryl

• svanessa
    16 years ago

Thanks, Cheryl. What are your plans for your frog fabric? I have so much fabric left over I can make another 3 or 4 quilts! Guess I'll make a few charity quilts...seems they never get enough quilts for boys.
    Sue

• coalaska
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've been collecting frog fabric for 20 years or so...no real plans yet :) (I just picked up some today).

We should do a little swapping:). I recognized most of those in your quilt, but not all. And then we could make some charity quilts? I'm getting WAY ahead of myself, but what do you think? I know of a few easy, quick quilts that would work with all those frogs.
    Cheryl
    ps: my sister and I both collect frogs; her name is Susie

• froggyquilter
    16 years ago

OMG Sue! I LOVE that quilt! I really like frogs and bright colors - that is awesome!!!

• mary_c_gw
    16 years ago

Sue, awesome frog quilt!

Mary