Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
megsy_gw

Want to help me shop for boys bedding?

megsy
14 years ago

Or pretty please with a cherry on top will you help me?

Our boys room is pretty much the only room in the house I haven't touched (we moved last May) except for paint. And I'm ready to tackle it.

It's painted BM Davenport Tan (darkish brownish) and their beds are old Ethan Allen beds that can be bunks, twins or a trundle set (this is not my house just a pic off the internet):

I have been looking on and off since we moved and couldn't get this madras print I saw in Target out of my head and after listening to me hem and haw about the boys' room, DH finally said, "You obviously love the quilts, go get them." And I realized he was right. So off to Target I went!

Except, SIGH, of course the twin size is discontinued. Can't find it anywhere on the net.

Am taking this as a sign that these quilts are just not meant to be.

So am searching for other madras quilts since madras seems to be timeless and classic and ageless (the boys are 8 and 6) and I'd really like this set to last them a while. Nautica makes one:

And so does Pottery Barn Kids:

But I can't decide if I like them as much as I like the Woolrich. But I also realize that I'm over-thinking this situation and have been for MONTHS.

So I bow before you to once again seek your advisement. Please help me oh wise women (and men) of decor! What would you do for a boys' room?

Comments (19)

• janjan
    14 years ago

I think all of those are nice choices. There is a lot of themed bedding that kids grow out of so soon. Here's a similar quilt on Overstock.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bedding on Overstock

• rocky08
    14 years ago

I have the Stanford quilt and shams from JcPenney's and LOVE it for my son's room. I did a quick search and all that came up were the shams, bedskirt, and accent pillows. Looks like it went to clearance. May want to call or check your local store if you like it though.

• User
    14 years ago

Ralph Lauren also has a Madras quilt, sold at Macy's and Neimans.

I like this one because it's a little different:

http://www.kellyskids.com/kkids/spring_10/wmbrowse.pgm?node=97

Nautica makes a couple, offered at Bed Bath & Beyond.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=122627&RN=42

What is it about the one at Target that you like the best?

• yborgal
    14 years ago

I like the one from Pottery Barn Kids. I think it's bright and cheery with lots of colors to choose for accent items.

• ttodd
    14 years ago

I really like the PB one too!

• tomorrowisanotherday
    14 years ago

I like the Nautica one only slightly better. I think it's the muted reds that I prefer. Both would look great with the furniture though.

How did you ever find the original ad for the furniture? That's a HOOT. Look, I see Ringo and John...or is is Paul?

• saltnpeppa
    14 years ago

I bought a Nautica plaid quilt from Linens and things when they were going out of business.

Anyone of those will look good in a room with your paint color. Just tell yourself that the one from Target was horribly cheap & scratchy & you wouldn't want that next to your babies skin!

Smiles:)

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

janjan, thanks for that link. Somehow I had glazed over that one! It's definitely one to think about because it has more browns and greens in it and that's what I liked about the Target one. Thanks!

rocky, the Stanford one is great! I was at JCPenney yesterday to return some curtains and browsed through their quilts and didn't see anything like that one (or the highland, which I also like: http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?DeptID=44660&CatID=44660&Grptyp=ENS&ItemId=14b5316&cmRef=http://www.jcpenney.com/products/C044927.jsp ; plus that one's on sale for $40 a quilt. I really should just bite the bullet; I wanted to see it in person but no such luck).

lukkiirish, I love that Kelly's Kids one! I wish it came in an actual quilt and not a duvet cover. The boys something thinner than they have right now (comforters) so I'm trying to stick with quilts. I really liked the predominant green in the Target one which is why I think I like this Kelly's Kids one too.

Mona and ttodd, I really like the pbk one too. I wish the colors were more muted instead of so primary, kwim?

tomorrowisanotherday, i agree about the muted red! And I googled "ethan allen bunk beds" and that image popped up. How strange, huh??

scooby, you're probably right actually. UGH why was I born with this overthinking.everything.to.death gene?? :)

• miller88
    14 years ago

I bought the PB Madras for my boys' room and we LOVE it. It's bright and cheerful and has a lot of colors to pull from for accessorizing. I agonized over this for a long time and spent many many hours on the internet searching for quilts, and I'm very happy with this decision. I can post a pic if you'd like, after I get the beds mad :)

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'd love to see them, miller!

I went ahead and ordered the ones from jcpenney since they are dirt cheap and I had a $20 off coupon. Will return if I don't like them. Stay tuned ...

• tarhlfan
    14 years ago

I really like the one from PB Kids. I bought one from Target and had to return it. It was very rough. Not good for bedding!!

• summiebee
    14 years ago

I like the brighter ones. :) My sister did plaid comforters from somehere. One solid denim and one plaid. They have bunks and one is full on the bottom and smaller up top. I asked why she didn't do both the same....thinking it would be this really fab home decor related answer. She said. "I could not stand all that plaid. It gave me a headache. I was like OMG. Only you. She is easily annoyed by really little things. My Mom rolled her eyes.

• bird_lover6
    14 years ago

You might also check The Company Store. I think I saw a madras quilt there a few weeks ago.

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am awaiting the arrival of the JCPenney ones (tomorrow) but with the PBK ones in my cart ...

Summie, that's so funny! I would have been waiting for some fabulous reason too.

bird lover, I always forget about the Company Store. Thanks for the reminder! I looked on their site but it doesn't look like they have any twin quilts left. And there's a couple of really cute ones too! I might have to go into the store here in Houston (I think there's one??).

I'll update as soon as they get here and I make my decision.

• susanjf_gw
    14 years ago

how old are the boys?

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Our oldest is 8 and the twin boy is 6.

• crashboombang
    14 years ago

I have a Nautica quilt that I think is the same as the one in the picture in your OP. I've had it for about 10 years, so I can't be sure it's exactly the same. If it is though, I'm not sure if you've seen it in person, but it looks more like the Target picture you posted. The Nautica picture above looks more muted or something. I found a listing on ebay that seems to have a more accurate representation of the colors, at least of the quilt I have, but I think it's the same as the one you were looking at. Hope this helps! By the way, I use mine in my son's room and really like it there (used to be on my bed).

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay listing

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OMG Crashboombang, SWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON. I love it. Absolutely love it. But I need two *sob*.

I've decided to go with the PBK. I'm going to go pick them up tomorrow -- store told me they would price match to the website so I'm glad about that.

I'm going to do the quilts and Euro shams in the madras and then a regular pick-stitch quilted sham in solid red. Then monogram them with the boys' initials.

I think it'll look cute.

I'll post pics when everything is said and done (which will probably be when I'm begging for help with picking out a rug for their room! It never ends ...)

• Jbrig
    13 years ago

megsy, what happened w/ the JCP ones that you ordered? Did they come in and you decided you didn't like them?

Looking forward to seeing your pics when you're done.