Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toolgranny

Another UFO uses up homespuns! (pic)

toolgranny
16 years ago

I'm slowly working on the homespun stash and here's another one done. Note that the outside border is a separate hanging that I attach different "quiltlets" to. This is a pattern from Alex Anderson's Hand Applique book except I left off the border.

Now I am off to finish others. More coffee, more coffee!

Linda

Comments (19)

• damascusannie
    16 years ago

LOVE it! One of these days, I'm going to have time to play with my homespun stash. I particularly like the scrappy, Rail Fence backgrounds for the stars.

Annie

• redpenny
    16 years ago

Real cute Linda!
    Red

• cygram
    16 years ago

I love it! Off to get my homespun stash out and start planning.Thanks for the inspiration! Are the background blocks made out of homespun too? Yvonne

• toolgranny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

background blocks have some homespun, some gingham. I didn't have much in light colors.
    Linda

• laurainsdca
    16 years ago

Well I ABSOLUTELY love it. I have some homespuns and I've been thinking stars too -- of course I've not DONE anything about it yet. I just LOVE your quilt. I may have to sneak a copy of that picture for later inspiration. Adorable!

• nanajayne
    16 years ago

Really nice use of your homespuns. Did you applique all those stars? That must have been a challenge using homespn material. I like the pattern and the boarder is just right. Jayne

• day2day
    16 years ago

I think it's is a beautiful quilt.It has just the right look-cozy and warm. I can imagine someone snuggling down under it on cold winter nights. I really like the way you put it together.You did a great job.
    ~Geraldine

• vicky4x4
    16 years ago

I love homespuns and I don't have any! I love your star quilt.

Vicky

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

I love it and am also a lover of homespuns.

I'd like to find a bolt or 2 of the second one up from the bottom,on the left side(red/tan) I want to make curtains for my kitchen and dining room from it,and need extras for table runners etc.So far havn't been able to locate it.Found a little at wal mart,but they couldn't find anymore for me.Kathi

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    16 years ago

Linda, Thank you for posting!!!! I was given some FQ bundles of homespuns and wondered what I was going to do with them. Plus, it will include my new found love of applique! How large did you make the blocks?

Great inspiration!!!!

SharonG/FL

• mrseldoo
    16 years ago

Linda,
    It is sooo cute! I love it!

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

I love it too!!!! I never would have thought of homespuns in that pattern.
    I think I need to start drinking coffee.
    Rosa

• toolgranny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

These are 6" finished blocks, on a rail fence background which is three strips 2" wide finished. You could do a solid single piece background and make any shape of star (or other) you wanted. It is hand applique for the star. It works well for watching TV being small blocks. Homespuns are very soft and easy to stitch. I ironed down the seam allowances and used spray startch so needle turn was easier. Stars don't have to be perfect anyway. It's all straight edges and points can be blunt if that's easiest for you.

Coffee or wine optional. Go for it!
    Linda

• coalaska
    16 years ago

Linda, that's wonderful! The rail fence behind the stars is a great look. Are the other "quiltlets" also going to be of homespun? (can I send you some?)

Cheryl

• fran1523
    16 years ago

That is absolutely charming. I don't have any homespuns either but may have to rethink that decision.

• sew_self-taught
    16 years ago

I really love it too. It just gives me a nice feeling looking at it. IÂm also saving a copy of your pic for inspiration. I love the rail fence behind the stars. Great job!

Nina

• judylee59
    16 years ago

What a beautiful quilt! I love stars and homespuns so it is perfect! Thanks for sharing! JudyLee

• bopeep
    16 years ago

Really Really Beautiful !!!!!!
    I Love the look of homespun !!!
    bopeep

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

Beautiful! Homespun has a great cozy and warm look to it.
    One question: When I was a kid and my grandmother spoke of "homespun," she meant a sort of loose-weave woolen material. This isn't that, is it? What is it that makes homespun quilt material a homespun?