Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bee0hio

Binding a scalloped edge?

bee0hio
14 years ago

I haven't got too much more hand quilting to go & I'll be ready to bind my Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt. It will have a scalloped edge. I read in a "binding & borders" book to use a single layer binding as it goes on easier.

I have always used a double layer binding, even on wall hangings. Has anyone here experience with binding scalloped edges? Did you use double or single layer binding?

I know double wears better, but this treasure will see very little "hard use" while I am in possession. LOL

Comments (10)

• karpet
    14 years ago

Here is a tutorial. I have done a double binding on 2 scallop edges. Make sure you cut the binding on the bias, and do not cut the scallops till after you have sewn the binding on the front.
    Karlene

Here is a link that might be useful: scallop binding tutorial

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

I agree with Karlene. Double will still work as long as you use bias fabric and keep it narrow.

• cindykg23
    14 years ago

I'm going to 2nd - oops, 3rd!! that comment. Double works fine, but yes, by all means cut it on the bias. cut as narrow as you are comfortable with - it will be easier to work with.

• bee0hio
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the responses & the link. I believe I will give the double binding a try when I've finished quilting.

• petalpatsy
    14 years ago

I'd be really interested in how it goes for you. My mom's doing a GMFG and she worries about how to finish the edge.

• petalpatsy
    14 years ago

No, she draws a stitch line with dots at the angles and hand sews them up that way. She wants this one to be traditional, since her last one was paper pieced animal blocks done on the machine and sent out to long-arm.

• ct0516
    12 years ago

I found this youtube video that shows how to use a special tool to get the correct size scallops for your quilt AND how to sew the binding on. I found it very helpful. Carol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIHhTxTpMQ0&feature=channel

Here is a link that might be useful: youtube

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

I'm anxious to see your quilt!! I inherited some fabric pieces that are already cut to do one of these quilts. I even cut some forms and did one "flower". I think it will be a lot of fun when I can get past some of the other projects I'm working on. I saved the tutorial because I'm sure it will be handy in the future.

Robbi

• bee0hio
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Robbi! This thread is from a year & a half ago. Below is a link for pics of my finished GFG quilt. Have fun making yours.

Great tutorial on scalloped edge & binding it, Ct0516.

Here is a link that might be useful: My GFG quilt

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus